“Great food & libations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Moro Spirits & Tavern

El Moro Spirits & Tavern
945 Main Avenue, Durango, CO 81301 (Formerly El Moro Spirits & Tavern, durango, co)
+1 970-259-5555
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
El Moro Spirits & Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 162 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: El Moro Spirits & Tavern was created in the building that once housed the El Moro Saloon in the early 1900's. The food is modern-rustic: common foods from the early 20th century created with modern culinary techniques. Handcrafted cocktails, an extensive beer list and forty wines, all approachable & affordable, grace our beverage menu.
Fresno, California
“Great food & libations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

We stumbled upon this wonderful establishment, so impressed, we returned three times in our short visit in Durango. Our first stop we enjoyed homemade mixed drinks at the bar with a selection of appetizers. You must try (however "hurry up" as the menu changes periodically) the Honey-Sambal Lollipops, yum, yum, yum, chicken, lemongrass, ginger, curry & the Steamed Clams...oh my gosh to die for, and the Meat & Cheese platter, wow, I still taste the accompanying condiments! They have a creative selection of gins, locally produced, that rival anything I have ever tasted. They even make their own bitters, if you are a Old Fashion lover, have one... you will not regret it. Drinks are hand shaken rendering the best results...eclectic selection of beer and wines. Dinner was superb, they support "local farm to table" return visits we tried more appetizers and platter selections. Service was impeccable, intelligent, and attentive. There are many dining options in Durango, don't miss this one!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Northern California
“Good Burger - Good Beer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Selected this restaurant based in TripAdvisor reviews. I sat at the bar (they weren't too interested in seating a single at a table - suggest a couple of two person tables be setup). Told the bartender to impress me with her favorite beer - got a very respectable Imperial Stout.

Ordered the El Moro burger - was pretty darn good - ciabatta roll, tasty meat, lots of fresh accoutrements and some decent fries. While maybe not the best burger I have ever had, it was presented well, you could actually taste the meat, and melded all the flavors well.

I'd eat here again without hesitation

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Really good in all meanings ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

The energy of the place is really good, looks really old style and you can see a lot of photos from old Durango. They have really good local beers on the tap (draft) and lots of others to choose. So you will always find what you are looking for. I drank the trippel draft and was amazing. This place is famous for their drinks also, if you are not so fan of beer. The food was amazing, when I ordered and saw the plate (prawns), I became mad for the size, but after eating it, I changed my mind completely. The prawns where amazing and the tartar dressing better than everything I ever tried. If you are around Durango, give it a chance. Have in mind that is not a cheap place ~$8.00 a beer.

Midland, Canada
“Too noisy and terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

While in Durango this summer I may of had the single most horrific dining experience of my life. I have never had such bad service in a very long time. I We arrived in Durango late on Friday night and it seemed as if we had arrived in the New Orleans of the west. The streets were with tourists of all ages, there was live music playing classic rock, Great if you like Pink Floyd. As we stroll down the street toward destination we noticed that there were lots of spots that have live music. This was a completely different Durango that we had visited in the winter. There was something about the atmosphere on the streets it was edgy and unnerving. There were police on the street. Perhaps this was not the best night to try and have a quiet meal.

We had decided to return to El Moro a restaurant where we had eaten last winter. It was wonderful and the food was delicious. The tavern has great interior appeal and the bar is gorgeous. It is one of those bars where the bartenders have to climb a ladder to get a bottle of liquor. There are lots of beers to choose from and they like to offer locally grown food. We came especially for their appetizers especially the appetizer platter of cheese, meats and house made condiments. We were planning to stay and try the entrees however the appetizers were so disappointing and the tavern was so noisy and the server was impossible to find- so we changed our minds as the evening wore on. It was hard to get the attention of the much over worked server. He was in charge of far too many tables and could have used some help. This is what management does when it under-staffs.

Our charcuterie platter came with slices of baguette that were not toasted. I much prefer my baguette toasted so I sent it back. It did not return for about 20 minutes. When it finally arrived it was burnt. The appetizer platter was indifferent this time around - all three of the cheeses were over ripe and the tete de moine was especially disappointing- dry and overly ripe as well. The charcuterie was good and the condiments had some punch and creativity. The platter is not cheap and the portions are small.

On the night of this visit this establishment was focused on the bar and we were ignored. We had to fight to order a second glass of wine. The server became enamored of a very loud table of 6 and stopped to chat when many people were waiting for their orders.We even had a difficult time leaving as the server never brought the bill we had asked for. We were in a hurry to leave as the noise level made it uncomfortable.

We did not have a pleasant time at El Moro, nor was the food what I had experienced on my first visit. This time it seemed more like a very busy bar where the food came second. But after all it is called El Moro Spirits and Tavern.

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

This was the best meal my wife and I have had in a restaurant since 1999. The entire operation is impeccable and brilliantly executed from the décor and ambiance to the service, food, and beverages.

We did the whole deal: appetizer, 2 entrees, 2 desserts, coffee, tea, and a beer with dinner. The menu has items that range from very inexpensive to moderately priced. We spent $75 with a generous tip for 2 adults. We felt it was an outstanding value.

I had the shrimp and grits - fantastic and unique! Creole style fusion. My wife had the El Moro Burger, substituted a salad for fries. We had the ham and cheese fritters appetizer. She had a chocolate fudge and fruit dessert served with almond brittle. I had pound cake with blueberry ice cream and a lemon whipped cream. It was all PERFECT. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and attentive. The décor is very interesting in a masculine retro sort of way.

We totally enjoyed this experience. It was GREAT!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere