“Great rooms, lousy food” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 30 hotels in Durango
Albuquerque
“Great rooms, lousy food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We usually stay at a high-end Hotel in Durango. We were attracted to this great-looking property and went in and asked to see a room. the young ladies at the front desk were very cheerful and helpful. One of them went with me to show me the room. The rooms were very large, well decorated with local photos on the wall. A faux fireplace sold my wife and we decided to stay there. Everything in the room was wonderful, and deserves a "five star" rating.
When checking in, we were asked if we wanted the breakfast option. For $10 you get a $20 breakfast voucher. We took that option. Our friends, who live in Durango, told us that we had made a mistake. They had eaten dinner there and did not like it, and the reputation around town is that they have bad food.
I have worked in the hospitality industry, and did not believe that such a fine hotel could have such terrible food. we went to breakfast with an open mind. We were the only ones in the restaurant. That should have been a red flag right there. It is not an actual "restaurant". the Hotel hosts a sports bar, which also serves as the restaurant. Not a great atmosphere for a Monday morning breakfast.
I ordered the steak and eggs with potatos.. The steak came out tasteless and watery. I think that they took a frozen steak and threw it into boiling water to defrost it. The eggs were not prepared the way that I had requested. The potatos were out of a frozen bag, had not been seasoned with anything, and had obviously been cooked earlier and sat around to get cold and hard. My wife ordered an omlette. that had ham. The diced ham was taken out of the refrigerator and thrown onto the omlette. It was not warmed up! She quit after just a few bites. The buttermilk pancakes were better than everything else, but had a strange flavor and texture. The server was nice, but unskilled. When we left, not one plate had been removed from the table despite telling her that we were done. She dropped off the check for me to sign without a pen. I looked around, and there was nobody around to ask for a pen, so I had to go to the hotel desk for a pen. as we were going back to our room, the front desk person asked "How was breakfast?" to which my wife responded "Yuck". She nodded, as if she had heard this before.
STAY at the Holiday Inn, the rooms are fantastic. Go to Dennys for breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear John B,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. It's great to hear that you were satisfied with our room accommodations. We always want our guest to have a relaxing and enjoyable stay. It is very regrettable to hear that there were certain aspects of your visit that did not meet your standards in particular the service and quality of food served in our restaurant. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and we are confident the hotel management will take necessary steps to improve our guest experience.

Lera P

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I Pricelined my way into a good deal for a 5 night stay here, after initially staying one night for regular pricing using Hotels.com The friendly desk helped ensure I'd keep the same room for entire week despite making two separate bookings. Awesome.

My room was perfect. PERFECT. Well, except for maybe the orange easy chair, but even then the orange color was perfect. It's the little things too, such as a WIDE door that opens OUT instead of INTO the bathroom, maximizing space and making use of the bathroom pleasant and easy, an office desk with a wood finish perfectly suitable for my MacBook and mouse, plenty of outlets to choose from for plugging in my gadgets, a generously sized fridge, microwave, close proximity to the laundry room and elevators, huge LCD TV, and easy chair to crash in when reading a novel on my iPad, excellent WiFi, really, just about all the amenities a geek like me could need.

The only oddball thing was the requirement of placing my keycard in a slot to activate the bathroom lights. Not sure what that was all about. Otherwise, I found the decor pleasant, the staff helpful, and the hotel's quiet location just outside of town and away from the central hustle and bustle ideal.

I know other guests like to complain about the dogs, but Durango is a very dog friendly town, so it's not surprising to see a higher than normal count of pets at its hotels. I found them a welcome presence and (at least so far as my visit went) very quiet, well behaved.

Would definitely stay here again, heck I wouldn't mind living here. Then I could play chess and solve crimes for a living...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
AGM_Holiday_Inn, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Guest,

We here at the Holiday Inn & Suites are pleased that you enjoyed you stay with us. We pride ourselves in providing world class customer service and accommodations to all of our guest. We are pleased with your confirmation that we are living up to our pledge of doing so.

We look forward to being your home away from home during your future stays in the Durango area.
Wagga Wagga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

New hotel, we stay two nights, but the place was full of dogs.. All over even had one in the room near us that barked for over an hour. I do not like sleeping in a barn, we found another place to stay. October 2013

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Helen737,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the noise from the nearby pets prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Litchfield, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in October...2 rooms for 3 gal pals.. The hotel is beautiful!!! Very clean, very sound proof walls and hallways ... They have a very nice sports bar in the hotel that serve great food and stiff drinks!!! The best part?? They have a FREE shuttle to take you downtown to shop, or eat or bar hop !! It goes till 10 at night!!! I have stayed in Durango a few times now and I will always stay at this hotel from now on!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Vail, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I travel a lot and usually try to stay in IHG hotels. The facility is new, but the details are missing, and details make or break my stay.

My room was missing a an entire bed! There was a huge hole where a bed should be which I found really odd, leaving the room with a single queen bed. The pillows were all large and too hard for me. Other IHG hotels have a selection of pillows that are labeled on the pillowcases!

This place does not offer free breakfast and did not have a complete coffee/tea bar. I had to stand and wait for service to get some tea.

This place has a great location as it is only a few minutes from the older downtown area of Durango and close to the train.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear Marigold183 ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. Rest assured that these will be shared to our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Krysllin G.
Hasselt, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed one night in this fantastic hotel in August 2013, while visiting beautiful Durango. We really enjoyed our stay, it was close to everything like restaurants, the beautiful downtown with the famous old train is just 3 Minutes driving by car from the hotel.
This is a brand new hotel and is excellently managed. The front desk and all the staff were very friendly and helpful. My room was very spacious and clean and nice decorated there is also an refrigerator in the room . There is also a large free parking area. We will definitely go back to visit this great hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Enid, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The desk staff were wonderful, very friendly. The lobby was bright and very clean. The bar and grill is inside the hotel which also has a separate entrance for people not staying there. If your a club member you have access to items such as otc meds, snacks and drinks among other items. They have a laundry room for you to use. The hotel smelled fresh and clean. Our rooms bedding was clean free of any stains and they gave you 4 pillows per bed. Lots of amenities and towels.

You have to pay for breakfast if you're not a club member. As a member they give you a voucher which doesn't include tax or tips.

We stayed on the top floor above the pub and it was quiet.
The only downsize was the location. The hotel was a ways from downtown and on a curve so you had to be careful driving out of the lot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central? Share your experiences!