“Great Historic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Durango
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great Historic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This historic hotel is very comfortable from the moment you enter. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. The rooms are a little small by today's standards, but they are beautifully furnished
and the bed is very comfortable. We were on the 3rd floor facing the main street of town and on
Sat. night the noise from the people leaving the bars was a little bothersome, but it only lasted
a short time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
paulanelson, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear "Tusitala10"
I was so happy to hear of your stay with us at the General Palmer, knowing that you enjoyed yourself and found the hotel to your liking means everything to us.

Woodland Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Staff were friendly and over the top helpful from my first contact making a reservation to my check out. The room was beautifully appointed and beyond clean...it was immaculate with beautiful dark wood furnishings, full length mirror, and elegant bathroom fixtures. I had friends staying in a different hotel in town and they waited for me in the lobby of the General Palmer...it was so nice, and we sat for over an hour visiting since it was as comfortable as my own living room. Ice water, cookies and coffee were available to guests in the lobby, which was very convenient and a real treat while I visited with my friends. Breakfast buffet was elegantly presented with china and real silverware. Location is in the middle of town, which is convenient to walk to all the restaurants/shops, yet the hotel itself was very quiet. In short, I loved it at the General Palmer and will be back for sure as it was one of my best hotel experiences in a LONG time!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Maureen0716
Dear "squirtmouse"
Thank you so very much for your review of your stay at the General Palmer hotel. I truly appreciate the accolades and happy to hear we could make your stay with us so memorable.
Palmyra, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were greeted by the bellman when we arrived and he was very helpful with questions about Durango. We were in room 301 with a view of main street. The room was very comfortable and spacious. If you are not good with stairs I would request a room on a lower floor as the original elevator is a neat experience but its very small. We stayed here for 2 nights and loved being right in the heart of town. The train is just a few steps from the front door and very convenient. The rooms are very clean and include an array of nice amenities. There was a pitcher and glasses for water, coffee maker, ice bucket and wine glasses with opener. A CD player in the room was a nice touch along with the free wifi. The breakfast was good and plentiful with a good array of food choices. We enjoyed out stay and when in town would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie P
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Hi Julie
You guys are awesome! I passed on your review to "our bellman", I told him personally how you appreciated his help, all our guys are just the best, so sweet and so willing to help.
Thank you again.
Paula
scottsdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

First time business traveler at the General Palmer and it was perfect for me.
Staff from reservations to check in to check out were terrific. The room was spotless (I really like clean) and well appointed with antiques.
Breakfast was just a little weak with the packaged eggs and no fruit, but otherwise very good.
I had a business meeting in the "living room" just by the lobby and that was quiet and perfect to for business.

Downtown, quiet, great service, clean--tough to beat.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building, not the annex.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear, "azpoet"
I was so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at the General Palmer Hotel. Our housekeeping staff truly takes great pride in what they do, so it will be nice to be able to pass on the kudos to them.
Thank you so much!
Paula
Los Lunas, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

We stay here whenever in town for the train, which is usually 2 to three times a year. The rooms are always very clean and we love the atmosphere and great location on main street. Parking is great as well.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Dear jcfjeemo, Thank you for your review, and thank you so much for choosing us as your home away from home. All of us at the General Palmer love what we do and we always thrilled to hear we have done well.
Largo, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Arrived at the General Palmer on Monday 6-3-13 a little early and was advised by the teenage bellman in the parking lot to go ahead and park because our room was ready. We pulled into the parking space and the bellman was on us for our luggage. We told him that we would carry our own luggage in and he refused to accept that answer and rudely said that we could not carry our own luggage in. This teenage bellman took our luggage and when we arrived at the check in desk the girl at the front desk, either Hanna or Nancy, told us and the bellman that our room was not ready. The bellman disappeared for a few minutes and then we were told the room was ready. We then went up to the third floor and entered our room after tipping the bellman. We then heard a knock on the door and were told by the maid that she had to clean the room and she started vacuuming. This was totally unacceptable and I went to the front desk demanding to speak with a manager. Paula Nelson heard me and came out of her office. I explained what had happened about first being told by the bellman that our room was ready and then told by the front desk clerk that it was not ready and mysteriously after a few minutes it was ready and then after we entered the room the maid showed up to clean the room. The only answer Paula Nelson could give was sorry. Come on, its obvious that the bellman only told us the room was ready was so he could get his tip for carrying our luggage that we wanted to carry in the first place. General Palmer is suppose to be a first class hotel but this is more like motel 6. Checked out and stayed at the Strater Hotel down the street. Much classier and more onsite amenities. And by the way as I was leaving I saw the teenage bellman in the hallway and asked for my tip money back and he said " no way man." I had to laugh as this young kid has a scam going on.!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kristi99
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Kristi99
Again I do sincerely apologize for the miscommunication, However I am happy to hear that you were still able to enjoy your visit to Durango, it is simply an amazing little town. As a Town we have so much to offer each and every traveler.
Thank you for taking the time to share your views of the General Palmer Hotel it is truly how we grow and learn of our guests expectations.
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night, wish it was longer. The hotel was decorated in an old west Victorian style. It had an old fashioned tiny cage elevator so I preferred the stairs. The room was spacious with 2 really comfie queen beds and a spacious bathroom with nice toiletries, hair dryer, separate double sinks from the toilet/shower area. Fresh home made cookies at noon. The only slight issue we had was that when we first turned on the water some rusty water poured out. We choose to have the staff provide us with a jug of water for drinking.
Location was excellent as you could walk around the scenic old town where there were tons of cute shops, great restaurants and neat statues. The silvery in railway was next to the hotel so very convenient and the views were breath taking. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was only a 15-20 minute drive to the airport. I would definitely stay here again and definitely visit Durango for longer!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank hikesedonachick
Paula N, General Manager at General Palmer Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear "hikesedonachick"
I totally agree one day in Durango is simply not enough time to explore the diversity of shopping, hiking, rafting, museum viewing, etc. etc. I absolutely love Durango, I have been here 21 years and am still in love with it. You will just have to come back for another visit! Thank you too for your review of the General Palmer I am happy to hear that it was one of the highlights of your visit to Durango.