“Interesting” 4 of 5 stars

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is a well maintained building. It doesn't offer an abundance of displays, but what they have are nicely done. Among other things, there's information on local firefighting, the railroad,and the Ute Indians. There are some out buildings to tour, but it was pouring rain the day we were there, so we didn't take advantage of that. It only cost $4.00 for each of us and it was worth it.

Visited October 2013

Vancouver WA
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Old Schoolhouse still teaches history.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Two floors of great exhibits that tell the story of the beginning of Durango - how it came to be what it is. Stories of law, order and disorder displayed in charming exhibits. Old cabin outside that can be accessed from the ground floor of schoolhouse.

Visited September 2013
Flagstaff, Arizona
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Walk through Durango history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I had some time to kill between other sight seeing events. I am glad we looked this place up. We learned about all of the hardships early settlers faced. We also learned about how the FBI came to be. yes, the agency was created when secret service agent Joseph A. walker was killed. We were curious who he was because we stayed in the hotel room dedicated to him at the Strater Hotel. My favorite thing at this museum was the old pioneer home we were able to go inside. I have never been inside one so it was a real treat to see how folks lived in the 1800's. Very nice museum.

Visited August 2013
Hayden, CO
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great small town museum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Group of 10 - 9 adults 1 child - Wonderful museum full of lots of information! Lots to read! Not a ton of "artifacts", but lots of information on the area!

Visited June 2013
Farmington, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Local History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I've been to Durango many times but we always did the standard touristy things. This time I thought I would look for a museum and we found this hidden gem. It is off the beaten path which means it is about two miles from downtown and one block off Main Ave.

The first thing is that the building is spectacular. It is probably 100 years old and made of stone with two or three floors and a basement.

The main floor hosts a restored turn of the century classroom which is really cool. Reading some of the rules for kids (and for teachers!) was really interesting.

The other floors ( I don't believe there is an elevator) host a strange collection of things. There is lots of general history about the wild west/mining theme of early Durango but there are also exhibits about the early native americans and a part dedicated to firefighters.

The whole place is really clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The museum has its own website but it doesn't do the actual place justice. I would say this is a 'don't miss' attraction in Durango.

Visited May 2013

Been to Animas Museum? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Animas Museum, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.