“Perfect place in Durango” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #12 of 16 Durango B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Perfect place in Durango”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My son and I were traveling with another father/son on a fishing trip. I have stayed in Durango many times and love the town. Most trips we stay at the Strater which is a special experience. On this trip though we were heading out each day with our gear and a motel was in order for the ease of access. We also wanted to do most of our own cooking. The Wapiti filled the bill nicely. The room was very clean and the kitchen met our needs. There is also an outside charcoal grill. What sets this place apart though is a great location (a short walk from the main street in Durango) and its park like setting. There is a beautiful lawn with mature tall trees that form a courtyard. Whether you sat in the courtyard or on the front porch outside your room it was nice respite in the afternoon/early evening and provided the opportunity to meet fellow travelers. If you plan on wine or cocktails will you need your own glasses though. The only provided large tumblers. I drove around town during our stay to check out the other motels and this is clearly the best option. If you want something nicer then go to the Strater but this is by far the best motel. We will return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Wapiti Lodge on July 15 for one night. We were in town for my nephews wedding and decided to stay one more night. The Wapiti was recommended to us by a relative who had stayed here and said it was not fancy but clean. That was an appropriate description. The lodge is one level, park in front of your room time of property. Room options are King bed or queen bed or kitchenette rooms. We booked a queen room and paid about $100 for the night; more than I would be willing to pay for a motel of this type, but this is a tourist town - so expect to pay higher prices for lodging! No breakfast offered (as the B&B categorization might suggest). In room wifi worked well. The bed was comfortable. There was a swingset outside our room for kids to play on. Located right off the highway on the southwest side of Durango. We did have an issue getting our room unlocked with the key. The woman working came down with another key (an Actual Key, not an electronic card) and by wiggling the door knob in the right place we were able to enter. She was very kind and my husband enjoyed talking to her about our plans in Durango.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

We arrived late and had no reservation. A really sweet lady was still working the desk and gave us a room. She was really nice and has been working for this hotel on and off for 30 years. She was full of knowledge about the area and willing to talk as long as we'd sit in the lobby with her. Next time I'm here, this will be where we stay. I highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2012
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

...I stay in Durango a lot over the weekends, and I've always wanted to stay here. There's a sign on the front of the property "last hotel for 150 feet". It makes you laugh. It's right next door to the Residence Inn.

This place is darling. It's a smal - local motel - no chain. It has rooms with King bed, queen beds, and also Kitchenettes. The prices are much more than reasonable. It does not have any breakfast provided, but the store is a short 3 minute drive. If you need a small refrigerator or microwave put in your home, they will gladly do it. They do provide a coffee maker also.

The rooms are quaint and VERY clean - the beds were very comfortable, too. There is a small grassy area with playground equipment for the kids. There is a also a picnic table and grill if you're so inclined.

I was very impressed. The owners were very nice and go out of their way to assist you. A definate A+++ in Durango. Will definitely stay again...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

If we can find them, my wife and I are always in search of the locally run motel. Often times they turn out to be a cheap franchise, are dirty and a disapointing stay. Wapiti lodge is a true find!

This is a family run motel just a short 10min walk from the Historic Durango Downtown -our number one criterion. Its location is awesome; walking along the 160 into town can be a little crazy in winter, but they keep the sidewalk plowed, so we were able to push our stroller w/out a problem. You then cross the river and have a short and lovely walk to downtown.

The grounds are very attractive and look like a park, with a small playground. We also brought our dog and felt very safe with him in the front of the motel as it is set back a good distance from the main road. They are very dog friendly -I would hate to see someone take advantage of these nice folks with an untrained animal.

I'm not certain, but I think all the rooms have a soft remodel, new carpet, paint, and fresh look. The shower has awesome water pressure and the room stayed nice and cozy during our Durango winter storm.

For this price, I was extremely impressed with this family run business. If you want the little shampoos, bathrobes, and flatscreens... walk two minutes down the road and spend two to three times the money on the brand names. Other than that, this place makes you feel like your at home!

I've stayed all over town and you won't find a deal this good this close to Downtown. While this is not a five star hotel (more like 2-3star) I rated it 5 star due to its outstanding value, service, cleaniness and appeal.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wapiti Lodge? Share your experiences!