“Great Local Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 16 Durango B&B and Inns
Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
“Great Local Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

If we can find them, my wife and I are always in search of the locally run motel. Often times they turn out to be a cheap franchise, are dirty and a disapointing stay. Wapiti lodge is a true find!

This is a family run motel just a short 10min walk from the Historic Durango Downtown -our number one criterion. Its location is awesome; walking along the 160 into town can be a little crazy in winter, but they keep the sidewalk plowed, so we were able to push our stroller w/out a problem. You then cross the river and have a short and lovely walk to downtown.

The grounds are very attractive and look like a park, with a small playground. We also brought our dog and felt very safe with him in the front of the motel as it is set back a good distance from the main road. They are very dog friendly -I would hate to see someone take advantage of these nice folks with an untrained animal.

I'm not certain, but I think all the rooms have a soft remodel, new carpet, paint, and fresh look. The shower has awesome water pressure and the room stayed nice and cozy during our Durango winter storm.

For this price, I was extremely impressed with this family run business. If you want the little shampoos, bathrobes, and flatscreens... walk two minutes down the road and spend two to three times the money on the brand names. Other than that, this place makes you feel like your at home!

I've stayed all over town and you won't find a deal this good this close to Downtown. While this is not a five star hotel (more like 2-3star) I rated it 5 star due to its outstanding value, service, cleaniness and appeal.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)

Been to Wapiti Lodge? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Wapiti Lodge

Address: 21625 Hwy 160 West, Durango, CO 81301
Location: United States > Colorado > Durango
Ranked #12 of 16 B&Bs / Inns in Durango
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and BookingOdigeoWL so you can book your Wapiti Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Wapiti Lodge, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.