“1950s inexpensive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Knights Inn Durango

You added Knights Inn Durango to your Saves list
Knights Inn Durango
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3515 Main Avenue, Durango, CO 81301 (Formerly Alpine Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Durango
Boulder, Colorado
“1950s inexpensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

This is a basic motel with the 1950s written all over it -- check out the contrasting ceramic tile colors in the bathroom. Although old, the place is well-kept and clean -- and the price is good for Durango. A good deal for the money.

They offer a free breakfast but I would have to say it was unimpressive. That's not what I was there for, I just wanted a clean and quiet place to sleep. There is no actual restaurant on the premises --- for lunch or dinner try the Serious Texas Barbecue next door.

Room Tip: Many rooms are up 3-6 steps, so wheelchair access will be good for only a select few rooms. State y...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Knights Inn Durango, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will come back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I booked the Knights Inn Durango after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. I booked online with the reservations center and kept repeating I wanted the Knights Inn in Durango (the revervations voice on the other end of the line had an accent). On my way to Durango, I was delayed by an opportunity to view the annular solar eclipse. I called the reservations number (I didn't have the direct line number to the hotel) and told them I would be arriving late and please don't give my room away. I was assured I'd have my room. About 10:00 PM I rang the bell at the dark and closed reception area. Mr. George Morris came out ( I think in his skivies, he had already gone to bed), turned on the lights, and opened the door for me. I told him I was the one who called and said I would be arriving late. He checked the computer and said I didn't have a reservation there. I quoted him the address of his hotel. Somehow he figured out the reservation was for the Knights Inn Midtown Durango. He tried calling but no one answered. He had an available room, but I would have to pay again for that one. Finally, Mr. Morris's wife got through to the other Knights Inn and since my credit card had already been charged, it was agreed I could stay where I was at no extra charge. Both hotels have the same owner. Mr. Morris even offered me tomorrow's breakfast rolls since no restaurants were still open. Through all this, Mr. Morris was polite, cheerful and helpful. He could have sent me to the other hotel, which would have been easier on his books, but instead he accomodated me. The room was fine. The next mornimg, Mr. Morris confirmed that I was only staying one night. Reservations had me at the Midtown Knights Inn for that night too! He took care of that mistake, and when I got home, my American Express bill only had a one night charge at Knights Inn. Kudos to Knights Inn for employing poeple like George Morris and his wife.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
GMTripleHHospitality, General Manager at Knights Inn Durango, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
We are always pleased to help people get settled in for the night. Since we have 2 Knights Inn locations just 11 blocks from one another it gets confusing late at night. In most cases such as yours we try to get our guests settled and not make them run around all night. If we have the room type available, we will accommodate and work out the rest in the morning between the two hotels. We hope you will come back and see us soon!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

This hotel is a great deal, good price and friendly, helpful staff! Room very clean and comfy, would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please stop in again and see us.
ouray,co
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We travel to Durango as often as we can~ First time at The Knights Inn South & even added an extra night, Very affordable, very clean and will return...Give it a try.
No frills, comfy room, we were very pleased.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
GMTripleHHospitality, General Manager at Knights Inn Durango, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
We are glad you gave our Knights Inn a try and enjoyed it. Our goal is to make every stay a pleasant one and we hope you will return to stay with us again.
Tijeras, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Very clean. Comfortable. Very quite. Good fr price range. Owners very nice and helpfull. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
GMTripleHHospitality, General Manager at Knights Inn Durango, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the the time to review our hotel. We are truely glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again.
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Stay in this place if you like getting bitten by insects.

I filed this review and tripadvisor pulled it, saying it was too short. Let's see what they do this time to protect their listed hotels.... I stayed at this property for two nights, Jan 25 and 26, 2012. This is an ancient motel ( lastly the Alpine Inn ) that has to date from the 1950's. A mediocre effort was made to remodel, but without much success. The room was musty. I stayed there because I wanted to ski Purgatory the day of Jan 26. After the first night I noticed I had some slight itching spots on my arm pit. I did not pay much attention, as I was skiing all that day. The next morning I awoke with big red welts on my jaw line, both arms, the arm pit mentioned previously and my foot. When I checked out I told the desk that the room was infested with something, but they did not say anything. They did notice the redness and swelling on my jaw line. You would think they might have offered a refund or something but they did not. During the course of that day, I drove to Salt Lake City, and by the next morning the bites were so bad I had to go to a local hospital emergency room for treatment. The doctor there agreed that I was suffering from some kind of insect bites. The bites remained painful, itiching and blistering for almost a week, even after taking the medicine and creams prescribed by the ER, including antibiotics and antihistamines.

I have stayed in many budget hotels over the years, and all I look for from such establishments is a clean room, bed and hot water, as I spend almost no time in the room except to sleep. I have never been bitten by bugs like this, and I travel a lot.

To add insult to injury, the ER doctor told me that I should immediately wash everything that I had with me in hot, soapy water to kill anything that had jumped into my luggage while I was in the room, so I had to spend a half a day at a local laundromat after leaving the ER.

Stay at this place at your own peril.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
GMTripleHHospitality, General Manager at Knights Inn Durango, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Upon your checkout I notified the Orkin pest control employee who was at our hotel staying. He went and tore the room apart and notified me the room was clean and no signs of past or present bed bugs was found or any other type of pest. Not a trace! We have the report on file at the Durango, Colorado Orkin headquarters. I tried to call you and let you know about the findings but your reception was bad so I ask you to return the call and I was either dropped or you hung up. What ever you contacted did not come from this hotel unless you have an allergy to Tide which is what we use to clean our linen. I am sorry for your discomfort and inconvenience but we are not responsible.
Queensland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

I was trying to teach my 17 yo son what to look for in hotels to stay at and so we started at the start of a whole bunch of hotels and he worked his way down. They were all between $40 and $150 per night.

He found Knights Inn for $60 for a double room (2 Queen size beds) with a friendly older guy in reception. He was terrific and booked us in without a hassle.

The room at at the top of the stairs and was very spacious, clean and modern. Toss in free WIFI, easy parking, simple access to town (you're on the main road) and it's tremendous value.

The room came with a free (I hope!) pack with some toothpaste and brush, which was what I'd just run out of - so bargain!

Most comfortable with everything you want at a practically unbeatable price.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Knights Inn Durango? Share your experiences!