“Wonderful!!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Sports
Rosemount, Minnesota
“Wonderful!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I wish I could give Hole in the Wall higher than an Excellent! We met Tom on the side of the road, which wasn't too difficult, and he took us down to his place in his truck for a two hour ride. His horses, which are allowed to wander around on their own, came up to greet us and are very calm and friendly. Tom is a great guy, friendly and very knowledgeable. Tom helped us up on our horses and off we went with another horse and Tom's dog tagging along for fun. The trail he took us on was beautiful and the horses were great. This was definitely the highlight of our trip and I can't recommended it enough.

Visited July 2013

“Happy horses/Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

The horses had a big wide open space in the woods to run around instead of beeing cooped up in a stabel and they were defiantly happy horses and they were beautiful.the guide was very nice and the scenery was fabulous.

Visited July 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
9 attraction reviews
“Highlight of the Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had a blast with the crew from Hole in the Wall Stables. Tom, Dillon and Ben are great guys. Their horses were calm and gentle--very appreciated since it had been decades since I sat on a horse. It really is a hole in the wall--we met Tom along the road since the drive down to the horses was really off-road. Tom took us all down in his truck.

I set up a stagecoach for a few folks who were not able to ride and Tom took them out and gave them a history of the area along with the ride--they were thrilled.

Great fun and great memory. Highly recommended.

Visited June 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“FANTASTIC... a "must do" for families”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family and I spent Labor Day weekend in Durango and the 1/2 day ride was definitely the highlight of our trip. I had called around to several places and made my selection primarily based upon the price. Fortunately, my penny pinching nature got my family and I saddled up with Hole in the Wall.
Now, I know nothing about the other places that offer rides other than that they cost more... but I do know that they don't have Tom.
The owner, Tom, guided my family of four through the most beautiful wilderness imaginable. There seemed to be magical scenery around every bend and beyond each ridge. Seemingly forgotten lakes, roaring rivers, and panoramic vistas made the entire ride breathtaking. Having Tom as our guide was awesome. He was patient and kind... and pretty damn funny. It really felt like he was doing it for the love of it, rather than the money. In fact, it wasn't until we had returned and were all saying goodbye that I remembered that I had forgotten to pay him (he hadn't even mentioned it).
As for the other reviews stating that it was hard to find... I felt like the directions he'd given me over the phone were pretty good, but I can understand how one might be thrown off by the fact that the meeting place is literally just on the side of the road (the horse trailer is the cue to pull over:)
The entire experience was awesome. We have an incredible family memory, and unbelievably beautiful pictures thanks to Tom, and Hole in the Wall.
If you are reading this trying to decide who to ride with... this is definitely the one to go with!

Visited September 2012
Houston
“Best Activity On Our Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

It was funny reading Tammy1971_12's review because it is almost exactly what I experienced. I was skeptical at first, but it turned out to be the best thing we did while in Durango. Turns out Tom's ranch is up the road from where we met, which was the trail head. We did the all day trip (8 hours) and although my butt was hurting, it was an awesome trip. We went to the top of the mountain and then traveled across the ridge to hit a few more mountain tops. We also went back and forth between valleys. Tom grew up there and it seemed every valley or trail had a story. We also did river rafting, zip lining and rode the train, but the the horse back riding was definitely the best. We were also accompanied by his son Dillon, who is a great guide in the making. He was our guide for the first hour or two while Tom had to reshoe a horse. They knew their horses well and they match the horses with the riders. I felt sad when we departed company at the end of the day.

In regards to the other review where there was no contact prior to the ride, I found just the opposite. I received a call a few days prior from Dillon to see if we were still planning on riding. I then received a call or two before we actually met up.

Visited June 2012