“Best Activity On Our Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 56 Activities in Durango
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Outdoor Activities
Houston
“Best Activity On Our Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

It was funny reading Tammy1971_12's review because it is almost exactly what I experienced. I was skeptical at first, but it turned out to be the best thing we did while in Durango. Turns out Tom's ranch is up the road from where we met, which was the trail head. We did the all day trip (8 hours) and although my butt was hurting, it was an awesome trip. We went to the top of the mountain and then traveled across the ridge to hit a few more mountain tops. We also went back and forth between valleys. Tom grew up there and it seemed every valley or trail had a story. We also did river rafting, zip lining and rode the train, but the the horse back riding was definitely the best. We were also accompanied by his son Dillon, who is a great guide in the making. He was our guide for the first hour or two while Tom had to reshoe a horse. They knew their horses well and they match the horses with the riders. I felt sad when we departed company at the end of the day.

In regards to the other review where there was no contact prior to the ride, I found just the opposite. I received a call a few days prior from Dillon to see if we were still planning on riding. I then received a call or two before we actually met up.

denver
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

It was my kids' first time to ride, the guides were great at engaging the kids and making sure they were happy. Gorgeous trail.

Cypress, Texas
5 attraction reviews
“beautiful family horse ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We were hesitant about this ride at the beginning...the place was a little hard to locate (never saw "stables"...horses were through a fence and nothing was marked on a dirt road....no sign for stables, so we thought it looked a little shady.....the owner drove up road to meet us and put us on horses right there....we took a LOVELY 2 hr. ride through the woods and the horses worked going up and down some beautiful terrain.....you ended up at a spot where you looked out on the ENTIRE Durango area and Animas River.....the young guides (Dillon and friend - forgot name..sorry!) told us about the area, the land and animals on the land......kids had a BLAST and wanted to do it again another day......don't hesitate AT ALL about doing this trip with this company....took good care of us and always felt safe....great horses (some have even been in the movies!!).....we took another ride a few days later elsewhere and it was a BIG disappointment compared to this one....rode on a dirt road , took a picture, and rode back on dirt road....BORING!!! ...this is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

SWFL
8 attraction reviews
“Perfect ride, professional owner/guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

My daughter and I were picked up by the owner b/c we didn't have transportation. We were driven to the horses, matched and off we went. Owner/guide is professional, proud of well-taken care of horses. Talked as we went, taught us about the area, showed us interesting things. Saw his carriage horses, in excellent condition - they have an awesome life in the woods with food, water, freedom. My daughter LOVED it and so did I. I wish Tom well and hope he continues to give visitors the enjoyment we had today.

Visited July 2011
Amarillo, Texas
“FAMILY OF 4 LEFT STANDING AT GATE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Read all the good reviews of this company so I decided to give them a shot especially as my 10yr old son and 13yr old daughter have never even been on a horse before and it sounded like this company was the right one to treat us right and ensure my kids had a fun/safe 1/2 day ride. Boy was I wrong! I made my reservations through their website at least a month in advance, took 5 or 6 attempts before I got a response. Was able to secure a 1/2 ride for my family on 5/29/11 @ 10:00 am. I should have known something wasnt right when a week before the trip I sent this company a follow-up email to veify the date and time and never received a response. Well Memorial Day weekend comes around and I drive my family to this companies address and we end up standing there for 2 hours and nobody ever showed up. We ended up making last second arrangments with Bucks Livery who gave my family a wonderful 2 hr ride/tour. Hole in the Wall Stables is completely unprofessional and I would not recommend them to anyone!

Visited May 2011