“Perfect ride, professional owner/guide” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Horseback Riding Stables
Attraction Details
SWFL
8 attraction reviews
“Perfect ride, professional owner/guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

My daughter and I were picked up by the owner b/c we didn't have transportation. We were driven to the horses, matched and off we went. Owner/guide is professional, proud of well-taken care of horses. Talked as we went, taught us about the area, showed us interesting things. Saw his carriage horses, in excellent condition - they have an awesome life in the woods with food, water, freedom. My daughter LOVED it and so did I. I wish Tom well and hope he continues to give visitors the enjoyment we had today.

Visited July 2011

Amarillo, Texas
“FAMILY OF 4 LEFT STANDING AT GATE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Read all the good reviews of this company so I decided to give them a shot especially as my 10yr old son and 13yr old daughter have never even been on a horse before and it sounded like this company was the right one to treat us right and ensure my kids had a fun/safe 1/2 day ride. Boy was I wrong! I made my reservations through their website at least a month in advance, took 5 or 6 attempts before I got a response. Was able to secure a 1/2 ride for my family on 5/29/11 @ 10:00 am. I should have known something wasnt right when a week before the trip I sent this company a follow-up email to veify the date and time and never received a response. Well Memorial Day weekend comes around and I drive my family to this companies address and we end up standing there for 2 hours and nobody ever showed up. We ended up making last second arrangments with Bucks Livery who gave my family a wonderful 2 hr ride/tour. Hole in the Wall Stables is completely unprofessional and I would not recommend them to anyone!

Visited May 2011
Miami, FL
“My 7yr old and I had a great ride!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

We took the short (15 min)drive north of town and easily found the location. They had a dozen or so well cared for horses who roam free on a large ranch at night. They selected 2 horses for our skill level and got us out quickly. There was no group waiting as we had experienced at other places. All of the equipment was of high quality - not a low end operator. The ride trail was through the forest and the scenery was beautiful. My son was nervous at first but Jennifer got him moving and put him quickly at ease. It was the highlight of his trip - even better than the train. The husband and wife team who run this were charming and we thoroughly enjoyed our ride. We will go again but do a longer ride.

Rocklin, CA
“The Best Trail Experience For Families”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

Jennifer and her husband Tom run a down to earth, fun experience trail ride for all riding levels. We took a morning ride for an hour and saw spectacular scenery. Their horses are calm and they do a wonderful job matching horse personalities to people personalities. My husband got "Big John" and there is nothing little about him. If your looking for fancy, smancy with stuck up trail leaders this is not the place for you! If your looking for a friendly and accomodating place, that makes you feel like a friend...this is the place. Can't wait to go back!

Seattle, Washington
9 attraction reviews
“Authentic Western adventure, food, and friendliness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

My boyfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed our stagecoach ride which included a steak dinner in September 2009.

The operation is small since it is run by a husband and wife and so it is less publicized than other attractions in Durango. I found them through their website. The place itself is not difficult to find when following their directions but knowing you've arrived at the right place is less certain. There was a hand-painted sign, a small building, and a metal corral for horses but no horses and no people. A friend of the couple who run the stables came to greet us and told us the horses were nearly ready. She waited with us and sure enough a stagecoach with four beautiful horses came clip-clopping down the road. A couple was on top of the stagecoach, the owner, Tom and his friend were at the reins, and the three of us climbed inside. It isn't difficult to climb inside and they gave us a hand in getting in. If you are able to climb a ladder you'll be able to make it. The tour starts on paved roads then the rest is down winding slopes and lumpy dirt roads in the woods. The ride is extremely bumpy, which made the reality of what it might have been like to travel in the Old West come into full focus. I found that authenticity exciting even when it was unpredictable.

The first half of the ride lasts about 20 minutes and ends at a clearing in the woods with a few wooden buildings, picnic benches, an outhouse, and a firepit. Our tour guide Tom and his friends cooked a dinner of slabs of juicy steak excellently cooked over an open fire, baked beans, salad, and corn on the cob. While it was being prepared they traded stories, told us about themselves, and asked us about ourselves. They were very welcoming and treated us as honored guests and yet also as a part of their family. There was another young couple there who had gone on a horse-riding tour earlier in the day and enjoyed it so much they decided to spend the rest of the day at Hole in the Wall Stables.

On the way back, we rode on the top of the stagecoach, which includes having one foot on the front wheel while you hoist yourself up. This is more difficult than getting inside, but it is still no more strenuous than a ladder however it takes more balance and maneuvering.

Dress casually and as if you're going on a walk through mud and dirt. The steak dinner tour we went on was around sunset in the fall, so having sweatshirts or jackets with you is wise. Wearing heels or skirts or designer clothes is not recommended. While inside the stagecoach, the horses can kick up dirt and big puddles can be splashed into by the wheels. When riding on top, you'll need to keep your knees apart since the person in front of you will be sitting between them and you'll need to brace yourself for turns and jolts.

And there are jolts! From above you can see the turns and bumps coming, unlike being inside the stagecoach where you can't. It is exhilarating to see and feel the horses work as a team under Tom's experienced direction. He told us about his work in movies and TV as a stuntman and stunt stagecoach driver. His years of knowledge show through while he's pulling the reins and calling out commands to the horses. That is reassuring when there's nothing strapping you down to your seat and you are holding onto the railing to one side and your loved one on the other. I'm not much of an adrenaline junky and I thought this was thrilling without being very risky.

We were returned to our car and then we paid in cash along with a gratuity. They take a credit card number for the reservation but take payment in cash. The tour takes a few hours and is only 20 minutes from Durango. I recommend it and hope that more people will try the Hole in the Wall Stables.