We stayed in a 3 bedroom, East Rim condo- #11A - for 3 nights - it was right across from where we checked in. The condo was great - decorated very nicely. It had a dishwasher and also a washer & dryer.There were 6 adults and 5 children in our party. I made my reservations through a website called Gateway Reservations - the girls there were very nice!! They went out of their way to help me find a place for that many people. We stayed in the Durango Mountainn resort, because by staying in the resort proper, we had access to their pool and exercise room. We had originally planned to stay in a vacation home outside the resort, but then we would not have had access to these things. You need your room key to get into the pool and exercise room.
I had asked for a condo with 3 queen beds, a bunkbed and a sofa bed. What I got was 1 bedroom with 2 bunks (4 kids in this room),1 bedroom with a queen bed and private bath, and 1 bedroom with a double bed and single bunk bed on top plus a bath in the hall. The bedrooms were all downstairs. Upstairs was a nice size kitchen, living and dining room and deck off the living room. All the bedrooms except the kids room had TV's and a large TV in the living room. Unfortunately, one of the adult couples had to sleep on the sofa bed - but they seemed okay with that. Everything was great except for one thing. We bought the adventure pass for the kids and 2 adults for one 4 hour period and it cost $180.00 - they only got to use it for about 2 hours and it started to rain and they shut everything down- it seemed like a big waste of money. Only two of the kids got to go on the Alpine slide - after standing in line for about 45 min - once it started to rain they shut it down- no refunds and no extra hours. So that was really disappointing. The next day we decided to go to Durango and check out the town and ended up taking the kids to a movie. We did make use of the pool and exercise room though.
So my advice would be -if you are planning on buying the adventure pass - watch the weather report first or go as early as you can. It seems to rain every afternoon about 2:00 in the mountains.
All in all we had a pretty great family vacation in beautiful Colorado. We went to two national parks, went to the top of Pikes peak(totally awesome) and saw lots of things I will probably never see again. It is so worth it! I got to see Colorado and spend 8 days with my adult children and all my grandchildren. What more could a person ask for. Life is good! Oh and the price was $232 a night! Great price for that many people!
- Also Known As:
- Purgatory Lodge By Durango Mountain Hotel
- Purgatory Lodge By Durango Mountain Hotel Durango
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just Steps from the Slopes and in the Heart of Purgatory Village Purgatory Lodge features the best location and amenities on the mountain! A year-round pool, adult spa deck, private club lounge, family game room, fitness center, ski valet and locker room are some of great amenities available to guests,owners,and club members. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, Hotels.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Purgatory Lodge at Durango Mountain Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.