“Colorado Trails is a special place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Colorado Trails Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durango
Colorado Trails Ranch
12161 County Road 240, Durango, CO   |
Massachusetts
“Colorado Trails is a special place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

We just returned from a wonderful week at Colorado Trails. Jeannie and her staff went above and beyond to make everyone feel welcome and comfortable. The meals were varied and delicious, and they did an amazing job catering to everyone's dietary needs. The activities were as advertised, my husband learned to fly fish and shoot skeet. The riding was terrific, and the wranglers did a great job of accommodating all different levels of ability. We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our stay, and look forward to a return visit.

Stayed September 2008

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
san rafael, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

Colorado Trails is an amazing experience that reconnects adults to a simple and innocent part of your childhood left long ago and introduces your children to these same experiences. Fishing, horse riding, hay rides, cookouts, ice cream socials, game room for the kids and white water rafting to name but a few.

This is the perfect family vacation far surpassing other destinations we've traveled to around the world.

We've gone 2 years in a row and just booked a 3rd. If you are looking for the perfect family vacation that will give you and your kids memories of a lifetime, I can't recommend CT enough.

The staff is friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. They will feed you way too much, but what the heck, you’re on vacation.

This is not the type of vacation where you lie around all day (unless you want to). The schedule is fairly full from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. We’ve found our relaxation by doing fun activities rather than sunning by the pool.

I'm always sad when we have to leave. I wish we could stay longer!

• Liked — Great family atmosphere, fishing, horse riding
  • Disliked — We had to leave too soon
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Brookings, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

Unrivaled beauty. Comfortable accomodations. Fantastic food. The BEST experience of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — No phone, no tv, no internet.....only peaceful beauty and clean air. DESTRESS
  • Disliked — It was all absolutely perfect
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Cirencester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

Wow! Our family of two adults, two children 10 and 6 have just got back from possibly one of the best holidays we've ever had!

If you're looking for a family holiday with great scenery, loads to do (or not, no pressure) then this could be it. Especially if you enjoy riding.

Accomodation is in log/swiss style cabins and is comfortable and basically all you'll need since you'll be busy doing great things all day anyway.

Children are perfectly safe to come and go between your cabin and the other amenities including a Ruckus room and pet's corner.

The food was top notch. I wish I could cook ribs like that! At least twice in the week supper is held in the forest over a wood fire, Cook-Out style. A lovely wooded scene only adds to the ambience of al-fresco eating! Plus you're given the chance to ride the wagon to the cook-out pulled by two huge horses. Great fun.

As for the riding, well, it was truly tremendous! Never ridden western style before? Neither had we though all of us had some experience English style. The introductory morning really helped and before you know it you'll be jogging and loping through beautiful Colorado countryside trails. If you're lucky and a fairly experienced rider the trek through Rainbow Ranch and across the river is unforgettable!

They also offer a full fishing program and though we did not participate in this the children did and really enjoyed it. Plenty of other activities are available including White Water Rafting (great fun though not as scary as I expected, this was due to time of year, spring is best for fast water), shooting, hiking and a trip to Mesa Verde amongst other things.

The highlight of the week for me and my husband was the cattle round up! Really good fun to do - and a unique experience. That coupled with the long ride back across two ranch territories with magnificent scenery was the ultimate for me.

Finally The Staff. Everyone a character, and all were great. Watch out for Jeanne the Manager, she was so hospitable, and Mike North, droll but equally helpful, and Mike Myer the Horse Master, a dedicated, diligent expert. The ratio of staff to guests is very good and the counsellors that run the two childrens programs were very capable.

The horses were beautiful and selected according to your experience. My horse, Angel, I fell in love with!

I didn't want to leave - and I mean that! ( I cried all the way home!)

• Liked — The scenery, the riding, the family all having fun independently, meeting new people
  • Disliked — leaving it!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2005

This is a belated review of this ranch, due to my not finding this website until recently. I stayed for a week at Colorado Trails in June 2004. This was my first guest ranch experience and it surely won't be my last. From the moment I was picked up to travel to the ranch I felt welcome. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff at this ranch. Going in mid June was wonderful- weather was warm but not too many kids yet. Therefore, the ranch was at about 40% capacity (there were 28 guests my week); despite not being full, all activities ran anyway- even if only one guest signed up.
Accomodations are not plush, but they are comfortable. Just rustic enough to make you feel like you are at a western ranch, but not so spartan that they are depressing. The food was out of this world- their chef and baker were extremely talented. All 3 meals per day are served in the dining room and everyone eats together with staff interspersed throughout the guest tables as well. The riding was top notch as well. The head wrangler did an excellent job of assigning everyone to their horse for the week and the riding was varied enough to be fun for all levels. For more advanced riders they would take you you on different rides and allow cantering. For the more inexperienced riders, you could go on slower rides. The terrain was varied as well- mountain trails, streams and rolling meadows.
Other activities included fly fishing, rafting and trap shooting.
This was a wonderful ranch experience and it exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed June 2004

Been to Colorado Trails Ranch? Share your experiences!