“Best Family Trip EVER!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Colorado Trails Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durango
Colorado Trails Ranch
Save Saved
You added Colorado Trails Ranch to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Ranch   |   12161 County Road 240, Durango, CO   |
Special Offer
2015 Discounts & Specials
Bakersfield, California
“Best Family Trip EVER!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Mom and Dad treated all of us to an amazing dude ranch experience! 20 family members met up at Colorado Trails Ranch and had the time of our lives! The kids group leaders were fun, engaging and excited to be with the kids. The kids rode horses twice a day, had so many other activities and were busy from morning til night. As for us adults, we rode horses, got to participate in a cattle drive (amazing experience and totally worth the extra $35), went trap shooting, fly-fishing and so much more.
Spending a full week with extended family was a wonderful, once-in-a-lifetime experience. If you have the opportunity to do it, I can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: Ask for the NEW cabins and you will be thrilled! The older cabins can get really hot.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Temple City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Took our grand daughter with us last year and we all loved it so much we are returning this year. What a great place for kids and adults. We did a lot of fishing and she rode horses all the time. Everything was great fun and the staff, food and service was excellent. Highly recommend to all. A family reunion would be perfect here.

London UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Another nine hour flight from London UK, another seven hour drive to Durango and was it worth it for a return visit to Colorado Trails Ranch? TOO RIGHT it is! This year there are new cabins, a brand new pool and hot tub and the core staff from last year are still there. I have to say up front. The program here is AMAZING. We took both our boys with us this year (Ok they are grown up now, but both wanted to come). Last year we came and did not want to go home after our stay. This year we were "Old Timers" and the hospitality and care shown by all the staff is FANTASTIC.
The Riding and Fishing programs are well prepared, planned and second to none, with well trained staff that have the real life working experience to ensure you ride safe but have great fun as well. For us, we could not wish for more. The food by Chef' Brian and "Brenda the Baker" is as good as ever and what we really like is the complete immersion by the staff into ensuring the guests are well looked after. This includes eating together and constant discussion around the days activities just delivered and the planning for the next day. This years team (Build around the core riding and management team) are a great mix of people. Tip, Do the Chuck Wagon Cook Out Ride. Fantastic half day ride for all abilities

Are we coming back next year ? ALREADY SAVING OVER PENNIES !!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I'm not a particularly outdoorsy sort of person so there was a little hesitation when I agreed to go on a holiday with my family to a ranch in the middle of Colorado. However I couldn't have been more wrong.
Even from when you step out of the car into the ranch the scenery and sheer beauty of the place strikes you and makes you forget your slightest worry.
The ranch staff are so friendly and helpful that you couldn't find better service even in a 5* hotel in the best cities in the world and they would be hard pushed to make you more relaxed.
The food is even better offering feasts of American goodies 3 times a day, so as one review mentioned before, forget dieting if you want to go on this holiday. It's not going to happen. Brian is a genius on th grill and the amazing breakfast chef from Georgia certainly makes sure your ready for your day.
Riding with the wranglers (we had Brett, Caitlin and Kelsey) was stunning and makes you feel like a real cowboy!
I became hooked on fishing (excuse the pun) as standing knee deep in rolling Colorado rivers with beautiful forests either side and humming birds wizzing around feels unreal. And if you want a fishing guide whose gonna get you catching fish then Gordy and Hunter and your guys.
We also got slightly addicted to trap shooting with Mike and Yates and could have played Annie Oakley everyday even though our shoulders were blue by the end of it!
The cabins are perfect for crashing out (and seriously after a full day you will!) and make the perfect place to sit have a drink and catchup on the day.
I can't praise this place highly enough and the legends that are Jeanne, mike and jessaline should be proud of the operation that they head up.
Easily and by far the best holiday I have ever taken. Happy trails Colorado trails ranch, see you next year!

Room Tip: Any of the rooms, you can't beat the view.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I won a trip to CTR on Wheel of Fortune and went back in September of 2000 (my review says 2011 because i had to select a date from the drop down box). I have great memories of that trip. Being a true city girl, I had never ridden a horse before and was petrified - but everyone there was great in helping me get over my fears.

In addition to never riding before, I had never gone fishing either. We went fly fishing for the first time and that was truly amazing. Nothing like getting into the water and catching (and releasing) some trout!!!

Everyone there was great - such beautiful property - great comfy cabins - lots of fun activities.

I am truly glad that I won this trip because it is not something I would ever have picked for a vacation for myself. It was a terrific vacation!!! As it was 12 years ago I have mostly general memories - however, I do remember my horse was named Buttercup. I remember going into town to see a melodrama. I remember the great mealtimes with everyone. The soda fountain.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My parents have been taking my children here for years - so have heard the stories but this summer I experienced it for myself. A can't say enough wonderful things! Everything is extremely organized and safe. You feel really taken care of, there was more staff than guests and the staff from top to bottom were so friendly and accommodating in every way - so we could do what we wanted when we wanted to. It is a beautiful setting and they make the vacation so easy, worry and work free but endless activities if you want them. The chef is outstanding, every meal - we said WOW! The staff made out trip a lot of fun - wonderful people! Thank you Colorado Trails for a trip we will never forget!!! We are definitely coming back!

Beaumont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

This trip was a first in a couple of ways. It was the first time our whole family (8 of us with ages ranging from 6-69) had been on a vacation together and also the first time we had been to a Dude Ranch environment. I picked the Colorado Trails Ranch because I wanted to vacation in Durango Colorado where my parents had lived for many years. We wanted the kids and grandkids to experience some of the fun of Durango that we had enjoyed over the years. So we decided to start off the week with three days at Colorado Trails Ranch. Now with three grandboys ages 6-11, there wasn't much doubt that they were going to have a good time. With the adults -- there might have been a little doubt at the beginning. But by keeping an open mind, all the adults joined in the activities that they wanted to and if they didn't want to do what was planned, then they relaxed on the lovely verandah overlooking the stables. The best thing about the whole experience was that the kids could run and play without worry from the adults in the group. The wranglers who took the kids horseback riding, target shooting, practicing archery were all young and loved kids and wanted them to have a good time. The "Ruckus Room" was a big hit with nary an electronic game in sight. The soda fountain was also very popular and it was great for the kids to be free to come and go around the ranch -- although most of their time was spent in supervised activities. The Colorado Trails Ranch was a great experience and one that we'll be talking about for years to come.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Colorado Trails Ranch? Share your experiences!