“Interesting Brewery Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carver Brewing Co.

Carver Brewing Co.
1022 Main Ave, Durango, CO 81301-5124
970-259-2545
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #28 of 160 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
“Interesting Brewery Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I stopped in here for lunch on a drive from Albuquerque to Grand Junction. They're a breakfast/lunch/dinner/whiskey/scotch/wine/brewery establishment. Yeah, a little bit of everything. Definitely interesting.

I got the reuben, which was very good. I tried 5 of their beers on a flight; they were generally solid.

If you are in Durango and want to go somewhere specifically for the beer, I'd suggest Steamworks or Ska, but this place definitely puts up a good showing.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
Durango, Colorado
“Better than most in town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Food here has always (since early 2000's) been okay. Do I go there more than once a year, no. Beer is made on site and is always fresh. Many interesting flavors and styles. Nice patio in the summer, service so so.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Maricopa, Arizona
“Unfortunate!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We had enjoyed many yummy meals at Carver's in the past, but unfortunately the last one w a s awful. The ravioli was inedible and lacking any flavor. The other dishes were mediocre at best. We learned from a friend that the restaurant had recently changed ownership so that explains our experience. Save your money and find a different place to eat.

Visited December 2013
1022Carvers, Owner at Carver Brewing Co., responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear Theresa,
I am so sorry to hear about your last experience at my restaurant. And thanks for saying something: I always look at our guests' feedback as an opportunity for us improve. Maintaining this perspective is how we have thrived as a reputable family-run business for over 30 years. I hope my response will convince you (and anyone reading this) that we have taken your words to heart and will use your advice to make your next trip to Carvers the best yet.

I discussed your disappointment with our handmade raviolis with our Executive Chef Dave Cuntz. Chef Dave will be reviewing the dish's preparation with our pastry chef as they are the only two who make the raviolis. I am confident we will have a very consistent, very flavorful entrée from now on.

While there was no change in ownership this past year (your friend is misinformed), we did have some very exciting milestones: To celebrate our 25th anniversary as a Brew Pub this month owner/co-founder Bill Carver brewed a special Anniversary Amber with Head Brewer Jeff Albarella. At the Great American Beer Festival last October Jeff took home a Gold medal for his Munich Dunkel, a malty, dark German lager. Chef Dave won a National Cooking Competition in Albuquerque, NM last fall where his dish beat out 150 other contestants. The next time you're in town you can try the dish on our new menu -it's our Southwestern Strip Loin. We were also honored by the Durango Herald last summer by being named Readers' Choice "Best Breakfast in Durango" runner-up for "Best Service" and honorable mentions for "Best Family Establishment" and "Best Bar.'
It sounds like you've had good experiences over the years at Carvers and you've seen first-hand how we have built our reputation on treating every guest like family with fast, friendly service and tasty food made from scratch.

While it's very uncharacteristic of our kitchen to serve mediocre dishes I also don't question the quality of your experience. I apologize for not meeting your expectations and I'm very committed to addressing your concerns. Thanks again for caring enough to say something. I sincerely hope you will consider revisiting us the next time you're in Durango.

Cheers,
-Mike Hurst, owner
“Good people good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Carver's has become our go to restaurant. We have eaten here for all three meals during our stay. The staff has always been friendly. Occasionally you may have a server become distracted and you will wait getting another beverage etc. yet, I have noticed it may be because your server is being very friendly and interacting with another customer. Most of the time I do not mind. The food is very good. There is such a great variety and my vegetarian daughters are thrilled there are many options to choose. Why a four star and not a 5? As I stated, servers may be a bit slow/ distracted and, even though this has happened only a few times, my food has not come to the table hot.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
golden, co
“Food Quality has slipped”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I have eaten here many times over the years as I travel to Durango on business.
As a former professional chef, I evaluate food and service closely.
My meal here was average. I had requested rice on the side (as my entree didn't come with a starch). The rice had dried up kernels from being on a steamtable (or other) too long.
Beer was good and staff was friendly. Service was fine.

• Visited November 2013