“My Favorite in the USA” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 162 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Vegetarian, Noodle
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Casual dining and sushi bar offering extensive menu through the combination of traditional and contemporary Japanese cuisines from sushi, sashimi, to daily specials. We aim to provide an experience that is fun, as well as delicious and healthy. A varied menu offers something for everyone with vegetarian and allergy-sensitive options. Our well-trained and knowledgeable staff want to help you feel right at home, so please ask questions! Let us provide you with the best of Japanese cuisine and hospitality. Arigato!
Portage
“My Favorite in the USA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I love coming to Durango and I love coming to the best sushi place in town. It's actually one of the best environments of any sushi place anywhere I've been. I love that they have Woodchuck Cider served in a cold glass:)The sushi is made fresh to order with a Japanese chef team preparing it in front of you. Talk about great!

Durango, Colorado
“Sushitaria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

The food is good, authentic and reasonably priced. We've traveled to Japan 30+ times over 40 years and have developed strong opinions about Japanese food, especially fish. The sushi, sashimi and tempura at Sushitaria are very good and the veggie pot stickers, although not Japanese, are excellent. Prices are very reasonable, especially before 6 PM,

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Durango, Colorado
“Best Traditional Style in Durango”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I like my sushi/sashimi to be more traditional Japanese rather than hybridized with other cultures and this is the best in Durango. I would prefer to go for lunch as that works better with my schedule, but they are no longer open for lunch except on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays which do not work well for me, bummer! The restaurant is small, but the food is fresh, well prepared and well presented. Staff is attentive, even during the busy happy hour time. Prices are reasonable for this type of food. You can watch the sushi chefs working from any of the areas in the restaurant, in fact you can see nearly all of the food preparation from any seat if you want to. Sushitarian has been my personal favorite in Durango for many, many years. I would highly recommend them for a more traditional meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Missoula, Montana
“Overall Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

The food is meh. Some of the sushi rolls are good, like the spicy tuna roll. However, other options are not good at all, like their Udon dishes and the salmon roll. I also did not enjoy my Soba Noodle dish.

I like to go to sushi for lunch but they are closed for lunch during the week now. It's only open for lunch Thursday - Sunday.

The worst thing about Sushitarian is the service. I have never had good service there. After witnessing an outburst from the owner - I quit going. I am sure Sushitarian will have my review will be deleted for some made-up reason.

I have been to this restaurant 5 times over a span of two years, and never again. It's not worth the money to pay for blah food, bad service, and possible temper tantrums.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Colorado
“Sushi To-Go was OK.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Salmon Sushi Throwdown! We ordered Sushi To-Go from all three Sushi restaurants in Durango the same mid-week night. We choose to compare our favorite Salmon Rolls/Sashimi from each (listed below by price.)
* East by Southwest – Salmon & Lemon $16.00
* Sushitarian – Super Salmon Roll w/avocado $14.83
* Rice Monkeys - Tiraditos – Salmon Sashimi w/citrus & chili $14.00
* Rice Monkeys - Southwestern Roll w/Hamachi, Salmon & avocado $13.50

Comments are listed by restaurant under their own heading. So, you’ll need to check all three reviews to compare comments.

Order & Pick-up
• Sushitarian: fairly well-organized, but some delays in ordering & pickup due to priority with the on-premise customers – 4 stars

Taste & Presentation
• Sushitarian: Presentation was fine, but flavors were just ok and a bit bland. Needed soy (or a citrus) to brighten up. Salmon was slightly fishy and required wasabi to mask fishiness – 2.5 stars

Price/Value
• Sushitarian: Not bad, but would probably order something else next time and hope for fresher fish with brighter combination of flavors – 3 stars

We enjoyed the head-to-head comparisons of our Salmon Sushi Throwdown. We would encourage others to try their own Throwdowns.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sushitarian, Manager at Sushitarian, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for writing this review. All reviews are greatly appreciated because they help us continually better our services and offerings. In response to the review, which we also responded to on Yelp even though it can't be seen by the public, we would like to address each point of criticism.

Order & Pick-up: We try our best to stay organized and to give exceptional service to both dine-in customers and to-go customers but we recognize that sometimes there can be issues. We will continue to work on perfecting this.

Taste & Presentation: Our chefs are always working to combine the best flavors for the ultimate experience. We apologize that your experience was not on par with the experience we like to provide. We have not had this complaint before. We pride ourselves on having the freshest fish. We will continue to make this a priority and will make sure this isn't an issue again.

We hope to see you in again soon. Please let Toshi, the business owner, know you left this review. He would like to speak with you and make sure your experience is top notch the next go around.

Management