“Great Place To Stay” 5 of 5 stars

48475 Highway 550, Durango Mountain Resort, Durango, CO 81301   |
Tyler, Texas, United States
“Great Place To Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We loved the Silverpick Lodge. They were very accommodating and made a change which we requested without a problem. The condos were very clean and very comfortable. We did not try the restaurant because they were closed during our stay. The staff at the lodge and the maintenance people who we encountered were very friendly and helpful. There was wood provided for the fireplace which was very handy and enjoyable. The location is perfect. It is halfway between Durango / Silverton. The mountains behind the condos are spectacular. I will definitely stay at Silverpick Lodge again!!
Elaine M.
Tyler, Texas

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

The perfect place if you want to be near Durango but actually stay right in the mountains. Great views, good place to see rainbows after summer evening rains. Clean, well kept, up-to-date, friendly. Excellent restaurant (separately owned) on site, several others close by. I had the misfortune of falling ill about the time I arrived, and Chris and his staff did everything possible to see to my well-being. I can't imagine getting that kind of help and concern from a chain hotel. I will be back!

Room Tip: Condos are a much better value than the lodge rooms even at the higher price. Further from the road...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

As an avid outdoorsman and mountain biker, the Silverpick is an outstanding place to stay. It's centrally located in for quick access to hiking and biking trails yet close enough to the city for convenience. The townhome accomodations are excellent for large groups and the Silverpick staff is great to work with. We love the quiet peacefullness of the area and being surrounded by mountains and quaking aspens.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Amarillo, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

I booked a condo for 10 guests. After driving about 11 hrs, we arrived about 6 PM only to find that no one was available to give us a key to condo. There was a phone outside in the weather with a number to call. I made several calls and got the same recording each time. I left messages but never got a response. I talked to the manager in the Sow's Ear. He explained he was not affiliated with the Lodge. However they did attempt to contact the person on duty but to no avail. About 11 PM, the brides mother offered us a room with 3 beds that had reserved for family who would not arrive until the next day. The rest of my party went to bed. I stayed up to greet my nephew from NY about 1AM. Shortly after the person who should have answered my calls arrived to turn out unnecessary lights. He denied receiving the calls but then looked at his phone and said, "Oh, there they are!" He asked if I wanted condo then. This is 7 hrs after we arrived. The next day he was extremely rude. He said we wouldn't be charged for the room we slept in. He refused to attempt to make amends. He made rude sexists and age related remarks. I asked for a refund which he gave and we went into town and rented at the Comfort Inn, lower price, excellent accommodations. We were removed from the rest of the wedding party but we stayed with polite, helpful staff. I would not consider a return to a place that tolerates such inadequate customer service.
The Sow's Ear served an excellent dinner for the reception. Their service was also excellent. I understand why they said several times that they were not affiliated with the lodge just renting space.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
DurangoDude, Owner at Silverpick Lodge, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
I remember fablwb well. Although she arrived after check in time and the front desk was closed, she is entirely correct when she asserts that I did not get or respond to her messages. I have since switched cell carriers and remedied that situation. After this point our recollection of events diverge, but only in the details. Upon learning her situation, I apologized and immediately offered to check her into her condo. She declined the offer (!) but was in a feisty mood and wanted to know what I was going to do for her. As it was very late and she had a bed for the night I suggested that we put of further discussion until the morning. At that time it turned out that 3 parties were planning to share the condo and one of them had backed out leaving the expense to those left. Fablwb no longer needed the larger space she'd booked nor wanted to pay for it. Since I'd already discounted the condo I could not lower the price further. So I offered her a full refund which she took. Although fablwb left unsatisfied, the bride and groom and both sets of parents as well as several of the remaining guests thanked me for a wonderful time at Silverpick and all I'd done to help to make it that way.
Camarillo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

My family has stayed in several condo's in the Durango area and Silverpick's staff, location and overall vibe always makes our Colorado trips a real pleasure.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

We have had the pleasure of staying at Silverpick several times over the years and it is a joy to return. The only caution is choosing the room/condo carefully. We once were placed in a one bedroom condo on the South side of the complex, with windows and deck facing the parking lot (although we were told the view was of the San Juan National Forest - more cars than trees). We were disturbed all night with car headlights shining directly into the bedroom. Units on the East side get a fair bit of highway noise. Try to choose a unit in the back (West), with views to the North for both the best views and least noise. The West-view units are also very quiet once you get away from the end unit at the parking lot, but the view is that of the forest, not mountains. When I travel to the mountains, I like to have that mountain view so have learned to ask for it.

Otherwise a great location, excellent on-site restaurant and close to events at the ski resort, like Music in the Mountains. Great quality for the money.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

Our condo was nicely furnished and had all the comforts of home. lots of trails leave right from the lodge. Off the road and very much in the trees and mountains. Only one mile to the ski resort, close enough but far enough to not be in the noise and traffic. The Sow's Ear restaraunt on site is excellent. We would highly reccommend this to anyone wanting to get away to the mountains.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Silverpick Lodge? Share your experiences!