“Great barbeque” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Houston, Texas
“Great barbeque”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Texas Taco is worth shipping, cherry chipotle sauce is phenomenal. Overall a great barbeque experience in Colorado. I have sent many folk there and have yet to hear a complaint, but there is a rumor that I don't listen that well,so.... But seriously this place is great. I was in Durango at one point fr three nights and ate there 4 times.

Visited August 2013

Humble, Texas
“Would not pass muster with people that know good Texas BBQ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Poor food at best but the staff was friendly.

I am a mature native Texan that appreciates & recognizes good BBQ and have had some great BBQ in lots of places all over Texas as well as cook it myself on my own smoker trailer. This place would not survive in Texas.

In Texas the standards are brisket, ribs, chicken and sausage smoked long and slow at the right temperature using the right woods (properly seasoned oak, mesquite & sometimes hickory often in combination) and the standard sides (pinto beans, potato salad, cole slaw, and sometimes other optional sides) done right.

Here is what fell short.
Brisket did not have enough of a smoke ring (usually indicative of not smoking it long enough at the right temperature/time and without using the right woods). It was bland, dry, not tender enough and unimpressive. This makes me question the quality/cut of the brisket as well as likely not being properly trimmed before smoking.

Ribs had the same shortcomings minus the smoke ring which do not come into play for ribs.

There was no chicken as an option but turkey breast instead. Turkey breast doesn’t lend itself to smoking as well as chicken and accordingly was bland, dry, not tender enough and unimpressive. They should do chicken instead like ¼, ½ or whole chicken.

The sausage was mediocre. I’m sure they do not prepare their own sausage but probably do smoke it themselves. There are better uncooked sausage choices on the market ready to smoke. Again the end result makes me question the time/temperature of cooking as well as smoking woods chosen.

Pulled pork is a recent new comer to good BBQ places in Texas, being more common in the SE U.S. like the Carolinas. While pulled pork can be quite good if done right here it too it was bland, dry, not tender enough and unimpressive.

The sauce was not like anything you would find in a good BBQ place in Texas! It was watery, too sweet and lacked the range and depth of flavors you would find in Texas. You can buy commercially bottled BBQ sauces that are better.

Sides: Pinto beans were terrible. I don’t know what they did to the beans to make them so bitter and have none of the right flavor but these were probably the worst that I have ever had. Potato salad also was lacking in flavor and the range of expected ingredients. I did not have the cole slaw so I can’t comment on that.

Choices were very limited. Usually in Texas in addition to the sandwiches and meat by the ¼ pound you can order platters of 1-4 meats (brisket, ribs, chicken, and/or sausage). These platters usually come with choices of sides like pinto beans, potato salad, cole slaw, French fries, baked potato, pickled or stuffed jalapenos, etc. Too limited.

Condiments – the white bread was okay but too thin. The white onions were bitter, not sweet. The sliced pickles were of mediocre quality.

We ate at the place on Camino Del Rio in Durango, Colorado with a view of the river so that part was very nice.

This may be the best BBQ Durango has but if the owners want to have authenticity as “Serious Texas BBQ” they should visit some of the great BBQ places in the sweet spot of Texas BBQ. That would be the area defined by a line going from Houston to San Antonio to Austin & Texas hill country to Dallas and back to Houston.

Any future trips to Durango for me will not include this place. This stuff ain’t true Texas BBQ and not even good food!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Never care for this BBQ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Durango's most overrated BBQ. I have had this several times. The BBQ always seems dry and I burp the flavors for a couple hours afterward. Won't go back.

Visited September 2012
Fort Myers, Florida
“Good food, great view!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

My fiance and I stopped here late afternoon for what he said was the best BBQ!! He had the BBQ taco and I had the beef brisket with cheesy potatoes!! He was right! It was delicious!! We sat outside on their open deck above the river! Great views and great food! I loved that their BBQ sauce was in old liquor bottles on the tables to pour over your food!! I would go here again!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lake City, FL
“Different BBQ Establishment, Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Being from North Florida and used to being waited on at the table, the serving format was a bit different. Not used to ordering meat and separate sides at the counter. After the courteous staff assisted us on how to order we enjoyed a great meal. I got the sausage sandwich and my wife got the beef brisket. The food quality was excellent. We enjoyed sitting on the deck overlooking the river that flowed next to the place, great view. We arrived early evening, but shortly thereafter the place filled up. Evidently locals really like the food too. We needed a place to entertain ourselves after the meal so we went to a nice movie theater about a block away and saw a movie. It was a nice evening. Would go back again if in the area.

• Visited May 2013