Location: wonderful - about 20 minutes North of Durango so far enough away to be up in the mountains and quiet and away from the busy downtown area but close enough to drive to town easily. It is also close to the ski area which is good if you are planning a ski trip. Tamarron is located right off of highway 550 (the famous "Million Dollar Highway") so it is very easy to find. The setting is really beautiful, the lodge is set up in the pines at the top of a short cliff overlooking the Glacier Club golf course.
Facility: very nice - we choose the Lodge instead of a condo in some of the other nearby units because the pool/sauna/workout room are located here so we would not have to walk far or drive to get to them. The common areas are very nice, stylishly decorated and very clean. The pool was very nice, indoor/outdoor and good sized. There were 2 hot tubs which were nice but the jets were not working on the larger one. The only real drawback (for some) is the restaurant on site is only open for lunch and dinner and has a fairly limited menu. They do serve some amazing chicken wings though. If you do not want to prepare your own breakfast you will have to drive into town. Since it is a condo with a full and well equipped kitchen most visitors would be fine with preparing some meals in the condo - just be aware if you are arriving in the evening and did not have a chance to stop at a grocery store in Durango you will have to drive back to town for breakfast.
Unit 411 - this is a "Presidential Suite" and is one of the larger units in the lodge. As a matter of fact it is very large - lots of room and easily accomodated our family of four (2 adults and 2 teenagers).
Pros: It is very roomy as mentioned above and it is very clean and nicely decorated. It is also nicely furnished and has a very well equipped kitchen. The beds were very comfortable and it has a large bathroom downstairs and an amazing bathroom upstairs with a good sized jacuzzi bathtub. There are large picture windows which take advantage of the wonderful views from both the east and west side of the unit. It was really quiet - we stayed here on Labor Day weekend so things were pretty busy but we heard very little noise.
Cons: neither of the bedrooms upstairs were enclosed - it is just one large loft area with a partial wall in between the smaller "bedroom" and the master "bedroom". Personally I would have preferred an enclosed bedroom for privacy. The web site does not really make it clear that the upstairs is a loft and not private bedrooms. The TV was pretty old and outdated and there were no instructions on how to get the DVD player to display on the TV. Despite having 3 pretty tech-savvy people in our group, we were disappointed to be unable to watch a movie since none of us could figure out how to get it to play. A step by step set of instructions would have been very helpful. The condo tended to get hot during the day - epecially the loft area upstairs. Closing the blinds on the large west facing windows helped (although one in the bathroom would not close down all the way). The air conditioners were probaby a bit small for the volume of air they needed to cool but once the evening came opening the windows downstairs helped a lot. Unfortunately none of the windows upstairs could be opened.
- very nice tennis courts right behind the Lodge
- Golf - the Glacier Club golf course is surrounding the property. Be aware however that it is a private club so if you are interested in golfing, you must choose a unit that the owner belongs to the club - that information is on the website.
- Other Outdoor activities - the spectacular San Juan National Forest is basically right out the door with abundant opportunities for hiking, jeep trails, fishing, skiing, zip-lining, bicycling, etc.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Tamarron Vacation Rentals, located in beautiful Durango, Colorado. Tamarron lodging is the best of both worlds ~ just 20 minutes north of downtown Durango and 10 minutes south of the ski resort. Come relax in the mountains while being clsoe to everything Durango has to offer. Our main lodge has an indoor & outdoor heated pool open year-round, two hot tubs, sauna, fitness room, restaurant and bar. Durango lodging accommodations include everything from studio units with kitchenettes to studio lofts that sleep 6. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Expedia, Venere and Agoda so you can book your The Lodge at Tamarron reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lodge At Tamarron Hotel Durango