“Tamarron Main Lodge #411” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Tamarron

Save Saved
You added The Lodge at Tamarron to your Saves list
The Lodge at Tamarron
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   8 miles south of Durango Mountain Resort, Durango, CO 81301   |
Ranked #16 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Durango
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Tamarron Main Lodge #411”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Location: wonderful - about 20 minutes North of Durango so far enough away to be up in the mountains and quiet and away from the busy downtown area but close enough to drive to town easily. It is also close to the ski area which is good if you are planning a ski trip. Tamarron is located right off of highway 550 (the famous "Million Dollar Highway") so it is very easy to find. The setting is really beautiful, the lodge is set up in the pines at the top of a short cliff overlooking the Glacier Club golf course.

Facility: very nice - we choose the Lodge instead of a condo in some of the other nearby units because the pool/sauna/workout room are located here so we would not have to walk far or drive to get to them. The common areas are very nice, stylishly decorated and very clean. The pool was very nice, indoor/outdoor and good sized. There were 2 hot tubs which were nice but the jets were not working on the larger one. The only real drawback (for some) is the restaurant on site is only open for lunch and dinner and has a fairly limited menu. They do serve some amazing chicken wings though. If you do not want to prepare your own breakfast you will have to drive into town. Since it is a condo with a full and well equipped kitchen most visitors would be fine with preparing some meals in the condo - just be aware if you are arriving in the evening and did not have a chance to stop at a grocery store in Durango you will have to drive back to town for breakfast.

Unit 411 - this is a "Presidential Suite" and is one of the larger units in the lodge. As a matter of fact it is very large - lots of room and easily accomodated our family of four (2 adults and 2 teenagers).
Pros: It is very roomy as mentioned above and it is very clean and nicely decorated. It is also nicely furnished and has a very well equipped kitchen. The beds were very comfortable and it has a large bathroom downstairs and an amazing bathroom upstairs with a good sized jacuzzi bathtub. There are large picture windows which take advantage of the wonderful views from both the east and west side of the unit. It was really quiet - we stayed here on Labor Day weekend so things were pretty busy but we heard very little noise.
Cons: neither of the bedrooms upstairs were enclosed - it is just one large loft area with a partial wall in between the smaller "bedroom" and the master "bedroom". Personally I would have preferred an enclosed bedroom for privacy. The web site does not really make it clear that the upstairs is a loft and not private bedrooms. The TV was pretty old and outdated and there were no instructions on how to get the DVD player to display on the TV. Despite having 3 pretty tech-savvy people in our group, we were disappointed to be unable to watch a movie since none of us could figure out how to get it to play. A step by step set of instructions would have been very helpful. The condo tended to get hot during the day - epecially the loft area upstairs. Closing the blinds on the large west facing windows helped (although one in the bathroom would not close down all the way). The air conditioners were probaby a bit small for the volume of air they needed to cool but once the evening came opening the windows downstairs helped a lot. Unfortunately none of the windows upstairs could be opened.

Activities:
- very nice tennis courts right behind the Lodge
- Golf - the Glacier Club golf course is surrounding the property. Be aware however that it is a private club so if you are interested in golfing, you must choose a unit that the owner belongs to the club - that information is on the website.
- Other Outdoor activities - the spectacular San Juan National Forest is basically right out the door with abundant opportunities for hiking, jeep trails, fishing, skiing, zip-lining, bicycling, etc.

Room Tip: If privacy is important you may want to call to see if the bedrooms are private or are an open loft.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Chino Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We couldn't believe how nice the room was and the view was breathtaking! Beautifully furnished with a full kitchen setup! We booked there because we wanted to make use of the pool, sauna, steam room and spa but were so busy doing outside things that we never made it back in time. A little disappointed that the pool didn't open earlier...10am to 10pm, but that is really the only complaint! The grounds were immaculate and we even saw a doe as we were heading out one morning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Basalt, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I reserved a unit in High Point section of this resort hoping the newer section would be nicer. NOPE! There was a mouse, or other rodent in our unit that woke me up every night. I called the front desk and she said we should expect that in a mountain town. The pool was green and smelled very bad, the hot tub was disgusting, there was dirty standing water around the pool, the edges of the pool are peeling off. The plants around the pool are dead/dying. Our unit had a dishwasher but no soap, no soap in the bathrooms, no trash bags, no extra sheets for the pull-out bead. When we called the front desk we were told they don't offer dishwasher soap and we could drive down to the front office in 20 minutes to pick up the sheets. There was a sign posted in the unit that there are towels at the pool (a 5 minute drive away). When we got to the pool the woman there yelled at us for trying to take the towels back to our room. So me and my 3 children had to go back to our room wet and cold as well as get our car seats wet, There was tape on the toilet to hold the handle on, the toilets needed to be flushed 3 times. There was a place in the ceiling where there was a leak that was never repaired, looked like mold. My daughter burned her arm b/c the hot water heater was turned up so high. DIRTY, NASTY, GROSS! DO NOT STAY AT THIS COMPLEX!!! Durango Mtn. Resort had units for only $35 more per night. You could not pay me to stay here again!!

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE! All rooms we saw were old and run down and the pool is nasty.k
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

This place is in a great location and the views can't be beat, but that is where my positive feedback ends. Filthy! The futon that my son was sleeping on was covered in drool or, i hate to say it, semen. No sheets for the futon so i got a blanket and that also had a giant nasty stain.
At about 10:00 pm there was a huge fight outside our room, i might also add that these drunk guys entered from an unsecured door on the north end of the building. The front desk responded quickly when i called however there was still blood all over the floor when we got up in the morning.
Do not stay here, trust me!

• Stayed July 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Reserved a specific unit with 2 bathrooms, paid in advance then arrived to find the unit I had reserved was giving to someone else. No real explanation given, but was refunded $ 100.00. The unit we were given was old, dirty and hadn't been updated for years. Carpet stained,stained bathtub,faded comforter. There is a small restaurant there that specializes in chicken, and of course they ran out! Front end staff not very friendly. Overall , poor experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Great experience began with front office willing to negotiate a weekly rental fee which was lower than the posted rate. I had mentioned there were competitors in town who had lower rates. Stayed in Pinecone #870. A one Bedroom with a loft area serving as second bedroom. 2 bathrooms. The unit was tastefully furnished. There were a few small problems with unit which I will write to the management about, and perhaps they will be addressed. No cables hooking VCR/DVD to the television. (Frankly the analog tv's were a disappointment and did not suit the rest of the furnishings, which were above par). Water level of toilet on main floor set too high for older men to use comfortably while seated, if you catch my drift. In the main lodge, the pool has a wierd staining all throughout, giving one the impression of dirty water. Should be resurfaced. Also there, the hot tub designated for youth to use has no operating jets. Strange and should be fixed. The steam rooms in the locker rooms are fantastic!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

As a last minute lodging change while already in Durango I used my "Places" app on my smartphone and up popped this location. I did recally seeing it a few days prior when looking into lodging options so I knew I would likely be okay with it. I called the number for them and the phone was answered by Garrett who was very nice, and quickly answered my questions about lodging options and we booked a room. We arrived 20 minutes later and met with Garrett who was nice, but made one mistake according to my husband who was in the hotel business years ago, he announced my room out loud when others were around. Just a safety issue, in the event I was traveling alone and that was obvious to the ill intended, they now know knew I was alone and what room I was in.

We rented room 504, if you go to their website the photos and description are accurate as to what the room looks like. Its basically a studio with a king bed, kitchenette, and sitting area. The fifth floor is the top floor and we had a panoramic view of the mountainside and the Glacier Club private golf course. Absolutely stunning view!

The room was rustic and a tad outdate especially the bathroom. If you are like me the bathtub is important, however, the tubs here are just regular 'ole tubs. The kitchenette was nice, fully equipped with dishes, stove, oven, utensils, sink, coffee maker and a dishwasher.

The lodge was very quiet, but we were also staying the week before Thanksgiving so it is low winter season. The room rate was $85.00 during out stay, and we stayed two nights. They have one restaurant on site called Cuckoos which we did not visit because they closed by 8:00 PM, and they do not deliver to the room. They also have a pool and spa which we did not get to visit. Entry to the lodge is secured too which was an nice feature so only people with access keys can get into the lodge.

Now for the things that rubbed me the wrong way. I couldnt figure out how I paid $274.00 for two nights when the rate was $85.00 a night. Upon check in I got a "Welcome to Tamarron!" printed page with very vague info about my stay and it only showed what I paid, not an itemized receipt. So when I called Garrett and asked about the cost he had to research it himself and after coming up with a few answers I realized he was able to adequately tell me either so I waited until check out time and spoke with a new receptionist.

The night before checkout I tried to print my boarding pass from a computer thats near the reception area and realized there was not a printer so I asked the clerk if there was a printer and he said no, but he'd be glad to take my information and print it for me. I declined that offer because I was not comfortable giving some college kid my personal information and access to my itinerary. If you knew my line of work, you'd understand where my security concerns come from.

Upon checkout I was met by a new female clerk, I asked her again if there was a printer and she said no, and did not even offer to print it up. She was pretty disengaged but not necessarily impolite during my contact with her. I then asked for an itemized receipt and here is exactly how we came to $274.00 for two nights in room 504:

2 Low season nights $170.00 (85.00 per night), $35.00 cleaning fee taxed at .068 for $37.38, Tamarron Resort Fee for two days $40.00 ( I dont know if that increases with more days or not), Tamarron Pool & Spa Fee for two days $10.00 ( I dont know if that increases with more days either), and a $5.10 processing fee, $11.56 in sales tax and $55.10 in non-taxed items TOTAL $274.04. So all in all there was about $100.00 more tacked onto the lodging cost so BEWARE! No one mentioned this, and to top it off, Resort Fee? You dont even have a printer to print boarding passes for your traveling customers, and cleaning fee, you say in your in hotel book that you do not clean to save money and if we wanted anything done we had to ask for it, they only clean on check out.

So thoses things made them feel deceptive and non-transparent. Had I known I was paying for the Pool & Spa I would have made more of an effort to enjoy it.

Overall, I may return if I was had no other options because I did enjoy the condo living feel, the beautiful scenery and overall feel, but I will be more aware of what I need to bring and what I will be paying in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor facing the mountains. Check their facebook page for Spa coupons, I noticed the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lodge at Tamarron? Share your experiences!