“Great condo rentals” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Tamarron

Save Saved
You added The Lodge at Tamarron to your Saves list
The Lodge at Tamarron
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   8 miles south of Durango Mountain Resort, Durango, CO 81301   |
Ranked #15 of 19 Specialty lodging in Durango
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Great condo rentals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Great experience began with front office willing to negotiate a weekly rental fee which was lower than the posted rate. I had mentioned there were competitors in town who had lower rates. Stayed in Pinecone #870. A one Bedroom with a loft area serving as second bedroom. 2 bathrooms. The unit was tastefully furnished. There were a few small problems with unit which I will write to the management about, and perhaps they will be addressed. No cables hooking VCR/DVD to the television. (Frankly the analog tv's were a disappointment and did not suit the rest of the furnishings, which were above par). Water level of toilet on main floor set too high for older men to use comfortably while seated, if you catch my drift. In the main lodge, the pool has a wierd staining all throughout, giving one the impression of dirty water. Should be resurfaced. Also there, the hot tub designated for youth to use has no operating jets. Strange and should be fixed. The steam rooms in the locker rooms are fantastic!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

As a last minute lodging change while already in Durango I used my "Places" app on my smartphone and up popped this location. I did recally seeing it a few days prior when looking into lodging options so I knew I would likely be okay with it. I called the number for them and the phone was answered by Garrett who was very nice, and quickly answered my questions about lodging options and we booked a room. We arrived 20 minutes later and met with Garrett who was nice, but made one mistake according to my husband who was in the hotel business years ago, he announced my room out loud when others were around. Just a safety issue, in the event I was traveling alone and that was obvious to the ill intended, they now know knew I was alone and what room I was in.

We rented room 504, if you go to their website the photos and description are accurate as to what the room looks like. Its basically a studio with a king bed, kitchenette, and sitting area. The fifth floor is the top floor and we had a panoramic view of the mountainside and the Glacier Club private golf course. Absolutely stunning view!

The room was rustic and a tad outdate especially the bathroom. If you are like me the bathtub is important, however, the tubs here are just regular 'ole tubs. The kitchenette was nice, fully equipped with dishes, stove, oven, utensils, sink, coffee maker and a dishwasher.

The lodge was very quiet, but we were also staying the week before Thanksgiving so it is low winter season. The room rate was $85.00 during out stay, and we stayed two nights. They have one restaurant on site called Cuckoos which we did not visit because they closed by 8:00 PM, and they do not deliver to the room. They also have a pool and spa which we did not get to visit. Entry to the lodge is secured too which was an nice feature so only people with access keys can get into the lodge.

Now for the things that rubbed me the wrong way. I couldnt figure out how I paid $274.00 for two nights when the rate was $85.00 a night. Upon check in I got a "Welcome to Tamarron!" printed page with very vague info about my stay and it only showed what I paid, not an itemized receipt. So when I called Garrett and asked about the cost he had to research it himself and after coming up with a few answers I realized he was able to adequately tell me either so I waited until check out time and spoke with a new receptionist.

The night before checkout I tried to print my boarding pass from a computer thats near the reception area and realized there was not a printer so I asked the clerk if there was a printer and he said no, but he'd be glad to take my information and print it for me. I declined that offer because I was not comfortable giving some college kid my personal information and access to my itinerary. If you knew my line of work, you'd understand where my security concerns come from.

Upon checkout I was met by a new female clerk, I asked her again if there was a printer and she said no, and did not even offer to print it up. She was pretty disengaged but not necessarily impolite during my contact with her. I then asked for an itemized receipt and here is exactly how we came to $274.00 for two nights in room 504:

2 Low season nights $170.00 (85.00 per night), $35.00 cleaning fee taxed at .068 for $37.38, Tamarron Resort Fee for two days $40.00 ( I dont know if that increases with more days or not), Tamarron Pool & Spa Fee for two days $10.00 ( I dont know if that increases with more days either), and a $5.10 processing fee, $11.56 in sales tax and $55.10 in non-taxed items TOTAL $274.04. So all in all there was about $100.00 more tacked onto the lodging cost so BEWARE! No one mentioned this, and to top it off, Resort Fee? You dont even have a printer to print boarding passes for your traveling customers, and cleaning fee, you say in your in hotel book that you do not clean to save money and if we wanted anything done we had to ask for it, they only clean on check out.

So thoses things made them feel deceptive and non-transparent. Had I known I was paying for the Pool & Spa I would have made more of an effort to enjoy it.

Overall, I may return if I was had no other options because I did enjoy the condo living feel, the beautiful scenery and overall feel, but I will be more aware of what I need to bring and what I will be paying in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor facing the mountains. Check their facebook page for Spa coupons, I noticed the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The lodge was actually a very pleasant surprise for us. We booked 3 nights & chose it because of its proximity to excellent hiking while not being too far from Durango. We didn't expect all that space --a dining area, kitchenette, upstairs loft so it was a nice surprise! Plus the view from where we stayed (5th floor) was fantastic! Yes, it is an older lodge but the updates needed are not as dire as some of the other reviews made it out to be. It was well kept. My only 3 qualms were that I definitely wish the shower curtain was newer , I wish housekeeping came by more often, and I wish the rooms had WiFi access (the access is only I think in the pool area and in the lobby). Other than that, we would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We reserved a two-level condo at a very reasonable price. The appliances were outdated but clean and functional. The rest of the furniture was in great shape and the room was clean and attractive.

The indoor-outdoor pool was fantastic. Hot tubs were nice and the workout room looked good. The steam sauna in the locker room was a bit odoriferous, but in general the amenities were awesome.

The front desk staff was not particularly helpful, and we had a problem with some entity having failed to cancel a previously-canceled reservation. I say "some entity" because there were multiple parties involved in our reservation and it was sometimes unclear which layer one was dealing with. In the end it was straightened out.

The onsite restaurant was good as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sugar Land, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We last stayed at the Lodge at Tamarron 18 years ago. We remembered gorgeous views of the golf course, comfortable lodge rooms, excellent restaurants and lots of activities. We had such wonderful memories of our stay that I immediately settled upon a few days at Tamarron when we decided on a July escape from Texas' heat. Would that I had bothered to read a few reviews before making the reservation. We were shocked to discover part of the lodge has been closed--apparently for some time. The activities and amenities are long gone. The entire lodge seems tired and worn; our room, while clean, hadn't been updated in the last 2 decades. We tried the one cafe on site once; the waiter apologized that none of the first 3 dishes we ordered was available, so we resorted to ordering what they DID have.
Our room was adequate, with a fairly comfortable bed and a kitchenette that proved handy. The state of the tile and carpet--along with the musty smell--led me to wear shoes at all times. The one thing that hadn't changed was the wonderful view of the cliffs and golf course.
One of the people working at the front desk told us that the rumor circulating among employees was that the lodge is going to be closed and demolished. Most of the land that was part of the original resort has already been sold and is now part of the upscale Glacier Club. The golf course itself has been taken private and has expanded from 18 to 27 holes, with another 9 holes to be built next year. My husband was fortunate to be able to play the course and found it has been modified over the years. It was in excellent condition and offered a delightful experience. And the marmots are still there as unofficial mascots!
The location definitely met our needs. We were close enough to Durango to drive into town when we liked, but we enjoyed being away from large numbers of people at the resort. Would we return? Not to the Lodge itself, but we would definitely rent one of the vacation homes within the Glacier Club nearby.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

There were 5 in our room and we didn't feel crowded. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. A full size futon and not a pull out bed made it extra comfortable. Great amenities with pool, jacuzzi, steam shower, and waking trails.

• Stayed August 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We rented a room at this lodge through Durango Mountain Resorts. From the reviews, I thought the resort would be a bit more updated. Mr Brady would have felt right at home in unit 513! The room was screaming for an update. The bathrooms, furniture and materials, including shag carpeting, did not look like they had been touched for over 30 years. The room did not have room darkening shades, which meant we were all up early with the intense sun in the room. In addition, the lodge itself was in need of repair, with wings being completely abandoned. I asked about getting a room with more updates but the front desk person said he could not help with our room assignment. In addition, I did not even get a bill upon checkout. The person at the front said he was unable to generate one for me since the room was through Durango Mountain Resorts. Five days later I have not received an email bill or any confirmation of what I was charged for the stay.

On a positive note, the kids liked the indoor/outdoor pool and spa. The views were very nice from the property and the distance to Durango was manageable. Also, we ate in the restaurant one evening and the food was of good quality but was mainly bar food type items. There was also a kitchenette in our room and a grill/patio on the side of the hotel, although the grill looked like it had not been cleaned in years.

This lodge has a beautiful location but it desperately needs some renovation or else it will continue to go downhill.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Lodge at Tamarron? Share your experiences!