“Nice, relaxing place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stoney River Lodge

and 1 more site!
You added Stoney River Lodge to your Saves list
Stoney River Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   80 Idlewild Lane, Drake, CO 80537 (Formerly 2 Eagles Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Drake
Evans, Colorado
“Nice, relaxing place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Little Moose Room #8 for two nights in August 2012. It was great to be able to take our Miniature Schnauzer, Bozlee, with us. Nice and relaxing, did some hiking and just sitting by the river. Hope to be able to stay there again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Aurora, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My family of 4 stayed plus our dog stayed here in Aug. 2012. I am so happy to have found this wonderful place. It is clean, quiet, friendly, and perfectly located. We rafted in Ft. Collins, shopped and rode horses in Estes, went to a lovely park in Loveland, and spent every evening playing badmitton, bocce (which we brought) having s'mores down by the river, and visiting with our neighbors and hostess. Our dog made friends with the other dogs and ran around playing as well. The kids were free to get board games and movies from the office whenever they wanted. It felt like a small community there. We stayed in the caboose. The view of the canyon wall as we got up each morning was gorgeous. Can't wait to go back.

The Tracy's

Room Tip: The Caboose is quite roomy. Lots of sleep options and lots of closet space.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
croc1113, Owner at Stoney River Lodge, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
I appreciate this review. I remember this family fondly...the quiet teen and the outgoing younger sister. I remember the doggy too...short lil legs had no problem keeping up with my doberman. We had great fun with these guys...lots of s'mores and lots more movies...when they were here...they really kept on the go...we enjoyed having them and look forward to seeing them again.
Colin Linda and Cole
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My brother, sister, and I stayed in the Bear Room at 2 Eagles. It is a 23 minute drive into Estes Park--a drive we made often. We actually saw some bighorn sheep right along the road near the entrance to 2 Eagles during one of our drives into town. The beat motif in the room is really cute--there are stuffed bears everywhere. The resort is very community oriented. There were s'mores nights which we didn't participate in but it was a nice idea. There is also a jungle gym and a badminton net set up. The river runs right by the resort which is wonderful. There are 2 hiking trails right behind the rooms--just ask the owners for information on the trails.

One of the beds was pretty comfortable, although the other was a bit harder. Since it is a cabin type of atmosphere, you will find some kitchen amenities, but you will need to bring or buy others. For example, there was no hand soap, paper towels, or kleenex. However, there was a coffee pot (no free coffee though), pans, a few pots, plates, and utensils. One more thing to note--the price we were charged was higher than the prices listed on the website.

We enjoyed our stay here. However, if you want to be very close to the national park, stay in Estes Park.

Room Tip: The bear room sleeps 2-4. There are two full beds.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Newark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon and loved it. The reviews about Rhonda are outdated, as the hotel has taken on new management. The new owners are wonderful! They are friendly and accomodating--I have never experienced better management! The resort itself is good for the price, and for the outdoor types (who else visits Colorado?) there are hiking trails that start right in the resorts backyard. Overall, this resort deserves an A++ in my book.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the 2 eagles resort,loveland in our rocky mountain trip last month.
We stayed in the little moose room for a couple of days and we enjoyed it .Rhonda was very sweet ,with great hospitality! She offered us some suggestions to go around the park and to find restaurants.She helped us out by lending a small room heater to keep us warm during the night. Overall it was a very pleasureful stay.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

My fiance,myself and our 2 yr old came up for a week. (this was our 2nd time at 2 eagles) We had decided to spend our honeymoon at 2 eagles. We love all of the amenities, especially the hot tub and fire pit. Our cabin was gorgeous (#5)! Rhonda is a wonderful hostess along with the serenade of the 3 little guys who were great for our son to hang out with at the playground. The atmosphere is so peaceful and it is like a whole other world. Our cabin was very comfortable and clean. We loved having the gas fireplace in our living room along with the hot water heat in the bedroom and bathroom. It was nice to look out the kitchen or bedroom window in the morning and see the horses on the hill. It would be very easy to live in the cabin. Rhonda is great and we consider 2 eagles our home when we are in Estes Park to play. Rhonda makes us feel welcome and it seems as if she has been a wonderful friend for years after just meeting her. Thank you Rhonda for making our week special!!! You know we will be back! Bo, Pam and Taylor

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

I'm a student of hospitality history and have always wanted to stay in an early 20th century cabin, so when spouse-guy found this on a pet-friendly site and called the owner and got hooked I went along with him. She had told him it was "high in the mountains" although we knew it wasn't and that it was "quiet" although we knew it was right along the highway. From my own line of work I know market speak when I hear it.

First of all the 9 am to 8 pm hours of operation are ludicrous. No serious lodger works these hours and considers themselves a host. On arrival, we were ushered into a tiny, filthy, disorganized office. I tripped over children's toys, a safety issue. Sorry to the kid who lost the blue car under my foot. The light gray carpet was dark gray in the traffic area and the stench of cooking grease made me sick.

The lodging manager delivered an oft-spoken line about sorry about the state of the office but at least the rooms are clean, then went on to say that we were lucky that the former guest of our room had mailed back the room key that day. Any lodger worth salt has three keys so if she doesn't she's a menace to herself. She then went on to gossip abut the former guests' alcohol consumption. No true host ever discloses information about former guests. It's her job to make me feel safe, secure and welcome from the moment I arrive until long after I've gone.

I thought about leaving but we were exhausted from a family calamity and I wasn't thinking clearly nor was I up for an argument.

But we should have left. She went on to say that maintenance had changed the kitchenette faucet that day and if there were problems there was a shutoff under the sink. The manager's responsibility is to do this, not the guest. She then went on to tell us to park temporarily in one place while we unpacked and then to move the care elsewhere, as parking is limited. What a hassle.

When we did park in the other, coveted spot, soon (soon captured by another guest) we found ultra-dry tree trimmings right up to the bumper just right to catch on fire from the heat of our engine.

Once inside the room, I realized this lodge was built during WWII, which means materials were scarce and it's mainly plywood. The linoleum on the floor looks original and is poorly laid. Nobody in any other review mentions that there is no heat. There used to be gas heat, but it was removed and now you're expected to use two space heaters although how you safely use one in the bathroom, I didn't choose to discover.. The gas hookup still remains and you jam your kitchen chair into it. They are too cheap to cut it out. 20 minutes work is all it would take. See the picture of one of the space heaters supplied.

Security is an issue. As a photographer, I carry thousands of dollars of equipment but any family should be concerned. We slept with the lights on.

You drive off the highway down a lane past private residences and the cabins back up to private residences. The window locks bolt into nothing and this unit's screen in the back was repaired with duct tape. Of course we took our equipment with us during the day during our 2-night pre-paid stay (as required) but we also took our food as this is bear country.

The wooden entry door, which I don't think is original, has a cheap dead bolt only, but the door knob did look original. The bathroom sink fixtures turn the wrong way, which is a safety issue because it can lead to scalding. We didn't try the shower.

Although the lodging manger describes the units as roomy, they are not. We ended up in the kitchenette because of pets only. We looked in the other rooms which were tiny. The bed in our room was right up next to the wall and there wasn't even room for a trash can.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Stoney River Lodge? Share your experiences!