“Beautiful location, but a bit creaky.....” 3 of 5 stars

Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Dillon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Surrey, UK.
“Beautiful location, but a bit creaky.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2006

We stayed at this hotel mid-September, booking by internet. It was easy enough to find and is situated in a beautiful location, right across a quiet road from the Lake Dillon shore - you can walk to the water in 2 minutes. Check-in was fine and the ground-floor room was of a good size, clean and well equipped.

Dillon has virtually no commercial centre, but there are shops and restaurants on the main approach road about a mile away, and it's a 10-minute drive along the lakeshore to Frisco, quite a bustling place.

The hotel has a small breakfast room. There is a separate restaurant on site, which looks independent but the licence reveals it's part of the hotel - "highly recommended", said the check-in staff.

Any problems? Well, yes. First, the floorboards creak, to a rather annoying extent - these were our floorboards, we heard nothing from above, but don't know if the room there was occupied. The other problem we had was the room was too warm for sleeping (we felt). There's no aircon, and skirting heating which didn't seem to be on, but still it was very warm. Because of this, we've scored the hotel as 'average', otherwise it would be higher.

However, it's hard to feel grumpy after you've walked across the road and around the water-side paved path to the lake's marina - experiencing a fabulous Rockies vista over the Lake. Sensational!

We paid around $60 for our room, extremely good value.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
NH, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2006

Due to stormy weather we needed to cancel the reservation. When I called a day in advance, the front desk person said I can cancel by 4pm on the day or arrival. But when I called the next day morning (arrival day), the different person who answered the phone was the worst front desk person I have ever encountered. She would not listen and would want to simply charge us whethere we showed up or not!

When asked for the manager she mentioned that she is the one and we have deal with her only! After banging the phone down, I called up Best Western customer service folks. They could cancel it for me but not without $20 cancellation charge. This is the last time I will be staying at a Best Western. They need to stream line their policies.

• Stayed September 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2006

After reading the other reviews, I had high expectations for this place. I will tell you what I liked. I would agree that the location is convenient, beautiful and serene. The grounds were neatly kept, our room was clean and the breakfast was sufficient. The mattresses were comfortable. The Arapahoe Cafe is a delicious dining experience.

Now for the parts I didn't like. The floor is uneven and sunken in some places. There was a depression in the floor right in front of the sink. I was afraid I would fall through while brushing my teeth. I was on the second floor and the floorboards squeaked wherever I walked (I am not a large person). I'm sure this noise disturbed the people below me. The windows aren't sealed well. The chill creeps in and you can hear outside noises as if the windows were open. There are three or four buildings and there is only one hottub. If you aren't in the building with the hottub, you must either bring your clothes with you and change in that building when you're finished or freeze all the way back to your room. The water pressure in the shower kept increasing and decreasing during use. The mother of all reasons why I will never stay there again is that the walls are paper thin. You can hear everything, and I mean everything, through the walls. You can hear people's conversations word for word, their cell phones ringing, and their "amorous" wee hour activities. I had to bang on the wall in order to get some sleep. I've never been in a motel with such thin walls. To be fair, I was in Building One, which appears to be the oldest buildling. Perhaps these things aren't an issue in the newer buildings?

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — noise
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay here
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Midwest USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

Great location near Lake Dillon. Nice views depending on which room you get. The Dillon Amphitheater is across the street. The room was pretty clean and the daily housekeeping service kept it that way. Free continental breakfast is okay but nothing special. The breakfast room is too small. Overall a pretty good value for the money, especially the 2-BR suite which is quite spacious.

• Stayed July 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2006

Rooms are spacious with lake and mountain views. Clerks are helpful and offer good advice. Good continental breakfast included. Indoor hot tub and sauna are very relaxing. Lake Dillon is across the street - easy to walk around this small business area.

Right next door, the Arapahoe Cafe has great food - ate their 2x - Wednesday night is Burger night in the basement pub - locals jam the pub for these great burgers.

For pizza/pasta/sandwiches, walk up to Jersey Boys Pizza for a change of pace - building outside looks a little shady - pizza is thin-crust and tastes awesome. We ate here twice - kids loved it.

• Stayed April 2006
Anacortes, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

I've stayed here 6X before over the last 9 years. The first time I stayed at the BW Lake Dillon the first night, then tripped over the BW Ptarmigan & moved there(& paid 2/3 as much). Sure, sometimes you just want to dive off the freeway & take the first room available. That's what happened to me, & I enjoyed awakening with a view of Lake Dillon so much, I left the area 4 hours later than I'd planned. I've had dinner at the adjoining Arapahoe Cafe 4X, which was great, and once at Pug Ryan's brew pub across the street, which was so-so. So basically, I'd highly recommend staying here, dining at the Arapahoe, and grabbing a bagel for breakfast at Pika in Frisco. BTW, one time I stayed here I was sick as a dog, & the front desk clerk vouched for me at Safeway so I could rent a video player to take back to the room. Love this place. My only prob is they don't have the safe wonderful doughnuts they did in '97. Oh, well, it's a small price to pay for a great view, & a restful night.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2004

This is a nice hotel. Nothing fancy, but the rooms are clean and spacious. The best thing about this hotel is its location. It is next to Lake Dillon, a beautiful mountain lake and a perfect place for an early morning or late afternoon stroll. There are also a couple of restaurants within walking distance, so you can park your car and relax for the evening!

Been to BEST WESTERN Ptarmigan Lodge? Share your experiences!