“Your experience will largely depend on what condo you choose” 3 of 5 stars

Summit Resort Group Frisco
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   350 Lake Dillon Road, Dillon, CO 80435   |
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Dillon
New York
“Your experience will largely depend on what condo you choose”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a bit tricky to review because each condo as I understand it has a different owner, and thus its maintenance, decor and upkeep will largely depend on its owner. It's similar to how cabin rentals in Tennessee's Smoky region are set up: while much of the management is done by a company, they remain privately owned and thus their condition and particular style will vary depending on the owner.

In my case I stayed in Room 209, pretty much situated in the middle of the condo, and with a good vantage point from which to enjoy the absolutely, unbelievable, unparalleled views of the nearby mountain peaks and lake. I could travel another 100 years and never find scenery quite so ideal and yet so easily accessible from one's balcony.

That said, the condo is showing its age and could have definitely used a few improvements. It begins with the door, which only has one lock, and doesn't have a good seal at all (you can actually see light escaping through the sides of the door). Not sure if the dead bolt was disabled intentionally or if it really was broken, but the security was definitely lacking. The elevator was functional but gave off a weird smell, so I kept to the stairs.

The windows to the bedroom had no curtains, so if you're a light sleeper this is going to be a major annoyance. I had to drape one of the bed sheets over them in an awkward way just so I could block out more of the light and sleep better.

The beds themselves are soft but pretty rickety and give the impression that one hop or two into bed could bring it all crashing down.

The 2 bathrooms are a bit small, with really awkwardly small toilets and shower drains showing ugly looking rust. The knobs are strangely designed, they don't tighten or seem calibrated properly, so it took several turns to figure out which way to get the water warm, and where to basically turn it off.

There's no easy chair. Really?

There's no office desk either, so the only spot from which you can work your MacBook/Laptop is either on your lap or on the dining table, which offers an array of small chairs that aren't very comfortable to sit in. The lack of office furniture also made it difficult to charge my gadgets in one convenient location.

The WiFi however was astoundingly perfect. Even better than my Verizon FIOS connection back home.

The DVD Player is actually built into the LCD TV and more or less broken. It would not play DVDs I got from Redbox, though these played perfectly on my MacBook.

The wood stove this particularly condo has wasn't especially convenient, but they store free logs in utility rooms around the condo, which are easy to get to and takes five minutes to grab a few logs and get rolling.

The community hot tub is awesome. Very clean, looks fairly new and if you happen to catch a condo during offseason, almost always available with no one around to bother you.

Now, the balconies. I should say this would be hands down THE best thing about the condos here because of the views you enjoy while sipping on a hot cocoa, BUT... these balconies are shared space and not private AT ALL. Each balcony is actually shared by TWO condos, and besides that, the only thing that separates them from other balconies are unlocked gates. I could quite literally visit EVERY single balcony at the condo simply by opening and walking past all these gates. I'm not kidding. It's one of the most perplexing layouts I've ever seen.

I was lucky because I traveled during offseason in October, so during my time here I only counted 4 cars in the parking lot over the course of my stay. Hence I wasn't bothered by anyone and able to enjoy peace and quiet while hanging out on my otherwise VERY public balcony. Had this been peak season though, I could imagine the condos would have been insufferably and obnoxiously crowded, with little to no hope of any privacy or quiet. So as much as I loved Dillon, there is no WAY I would use this condo when the season gets busier. It would have been a nightmare.

So all in all, I THINK I would return, but only if I can find a condo better maintained and more suitably tailored to my tastes and needs (such as having an office desk, an easy chair, and you know, CURTAINS). The public balconies though I think are a deal breaker, it was simply the luck of the draw that I saw no one during my stay, not so sure that luck could hold out with a second return.

Room Tip: Each condo is different! I would recommend visiting the Dillon Summit Group's website directly...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

3 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I found the porperty through hotels.com on special. We ended up renting a one bed condo. The view from the porch is of Dillon Lake, and maybe one of the most lovely views from a room I've personally had. We were blocks from the ampitheatre and walked up on 2 different concerts over the weekend we stayed there. There was also fireworks launched from the lake while we were there and we watched it from our porch. The room came with an outdoor grill (technically on a porch that is shared with another room, but we had it to ourselves). The kitchen was completely furnished, the beds were quite comfortable and we were extremely pleased. The property was probably built in the 70s (?) so there is a little age on the property, but the carpeting was new and we had no complaints, especially since the view was so unbeatable. We needed a weekend away and boy, did we get it. We are eager for our next return, probably in a month or so. Wonderful, just wonderful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Summit Resort Group Frisco? Share your experiences!