“Best burgers I've ever had, period!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 33 Restaurants in Dillon
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Pug Ryan's opened in 1975 making it the oldest steak house in Dillon. Travis and Annie Holton bought Pugs in 1986 and have owned and operated since. The brewery started in 1996 and poured its first beer February 1st 1997. In May 2012 the Pugs expansion was completed. Additional brewery space and equipment were added with a new deck, bathrooms, entrance and remodeled side dining room. Pug Ryan's lakeside Tiki Bar at the Lake Dillon Marina is open seasonally during the warm months of the summer. With the best view in Summit County on its deck and the light lake breeze to keep you cool while sipping on your Rumrunner, it's easy to see why the Tike Bar has drawn travelers from all over the world and has been enjoyed by locals for years.Pug Ryan's has a family feel with its staff. With a majority of the staff being long time friends you will see soon why it's hard to leave.
Omaha, Nebraska
“Best burgers I've ever had, period!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

I have been to Pug Ryan's twice in a little over a year, with the most recent time being this evening 7/1/11. I am a huge fan of a great burger, and being from Nebraska I know what constitutes a delectable burger. I always order mine with just cheese so I can taste the burger without any condiment interruption. I have had burgers from the best place in NYC to San Diego and many places in between. Pug Ryan's are absolutely the best I've had, period. Their burgers are on the expensive side, but you definitely get what you pay for! It is like a ground filet on a bun. First off, the true measure of a burger place is that they allow you to order it cooked Medium (which is how I like mine at home) with just a little pink in the center. That means they are legit; they trust their beef and so should you. Try ordering a burger anything less than medium-well in a chain restaurant and they give you some excuse about health codes, blah blah. That is because their meat is not trustworthy and they have to cook the crap out of it to kill anything that might be there. It probably isn't fresh, local, or from a decent distributor.

I am also a huge connoisseur of micro brews since the time when I first lived in Colorado 10 years ago, so Pug Ryan's really is the best of both worlds for me. Their beer selection was rather lacking tonight when I was there and I felt a little disappointed. They didn't have the ESB on tap and were out of the Scottish Ale, 2 of my favorites. The pale ale was on tap and it is very good and worth a try if you like a little hopiness in your beer (slightly bitter but not overwhelming). Their wheat is good but I'm not a fan of that style. I also sampled the vanilla porter and it was excellent!

Our service tonight was superb and the waitress was prompt without being intrusive. The place was absolutely packed as there was an outdoor concert nearby, but they kept up nicely and our food was delivered in record speed. I give our waitress a solid 5/5. The beer for me is more of a 3.5 or 4/5 and the food a solid 5/5, but I have only had the burgers so I am not in a place to comment on the rest of their menu. Note that this is a small restaurant that tends to get loud when busy, so take that into consideration. If you are in the area of Summit County: Keystone/Breckenridge/Frisco/Dillon/Silverthorne you definitely should give Pug Ryan's a try, you won't be disappointed!!

• Visited July 2011

Colorado
“Very Average At Best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

My family and I ate here on a Sunday evening in April. After trying other local favorites in the area for years I have always wanted to try Pug Ryan's. The beer was good, the food was average. My wife had the English dip sandwich which was too dry for my liking even with the au jus. I had a burger that they seemed to have used caned mushrooms and sauteed them. Our kids chicken fingers (3 small pieces) and fries cost $7.00 each. The server was short for words, couldn't make eye contact and seemed as if he was just going through the motions. I have had better food, beer and service down the road like many of the other reviews here. I cant say it was terrible but I have way better.

• Visited April 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great Steaks and Prime Rib!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

Best dinner we had on our trip! Everyone's steak and prime rib was prepared as requested and was delicious.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Detour that rocked”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

We were planning on heading back to Denver from a weekend in Vail/Beaver Creek, then they shut I70 due to a hazmat spill. We wanted a steak, googled a local place and just showed up. My dad and I both got the steak special and it was great. He got this pilsner and liked it a lot, and he brews his own beer. Ended up being a good detour. Looked like they had a cool bar too.

Akron, Ohio
“Totally enjoyed both dinners there during this trip.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

My son lives in the area and we went there twice in the last two weeks. The first time we got a "2 for $22" prime rib that was outstanding. Service was the best of the best.

The second time we went I got fish and chips - probably the best I have had - period. Service again, was excellent.

I will always go back to this restaurant when I am here, usually 2-3 times a year.