“Best cost/performance ratio we found” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #82 of 149 Hotels in Denver
Furtwangen
“Best cost/performance ratio we found”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2008

We were on a road trip, heading from East to West Coast. After some initial internet research and the use of our navigation devices we couldnt manage to find a hotel double room under $100 around Downtown.

Finally the Ramada was our last try and it paid of.
We could bargain for the price and received a 30% discount.

The personal was very helpful after we explained, where we were coming from and what we are planning to do. We were informed about the free shuttle (we didnt use it, though), some details about Downtown, LoDo, the museums, cinemas and some bars.

The check in made us shortly think of turning back though:
- the corridors have some strange odor
- the decor looks plain cheap
- the room keys were for the wrong room in the first place

But thanks to the great price, we eventually stayed and didnt regret it.

Side notes:
Our room was clean, so I cant confirm the before mentioned uncleanness from other reviewers.
But the hotel is definitely not located in Downtown anymore (and also not on the Downtown map of the Visitor´s Bureau). It is a 10 to 15 minutes distance by foot to the 16th street and like 30 minutes to LoDo. Also, the neighborhood seemed a little bit strange, but we didnt have any bad experiences.

• Liked — price performance ratio
  • Disliked — corridor odor
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Pensacola, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

I normally pre-plan all my trips to the last detail but my boyfriend and I decided to be spontaneous for once.
After having a good dinner, with the help of my cell phone and navigator I found the Ramada for a good price... $79.
We wanted to save some money but didn't want to stay in a bad hotel. Ramada hotels are normally ok, so we decided to stay there. The hotel's lobby is very nice but good decoration is non-existent after that. Service was ok but my biggest problem with the hotel is that it felt just plain dirty. One of those places where the staff only cleans what can be easily seen by the customer.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel. I learned my lesson. I will continue to use tripadvisor.com or other review sites before picking a hotel.

• Liked — Close to downtown
  • Disliked — DIRTY!!!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
North Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

I'm not actually sure this is the correct forum since I didn't actually stay in this hotel because it was unacceptable from the get-go.

This is advertised to be convenient to the downtown area, and that is the reason we chose it. I guess convenient had different meanings; it was at least two miles from any real central attractions and definitely not a place I would want to walk, even in a crowd.

The first clue was the general odor of the place. We decided to check the room before getting our luggage out of the car...good choice. We were directed to an elevator near the back of the property; the elevator had plywood walls, the call button was a screw in the switch and the carpet was dirty and matted. Upon opening the room we observed: dirty windows, marginal bathroom facilities, grungy carpet (I told my wife I would not walk in the room without my shoes on), the pervasive smell of mildew mixed with smoke (non-smoking room), and a general aura of not really being safe.

We returned to the desk and told them we wouldn't be checking in. They didn't really argue; it was sort of "Who cares?"

We chose this place based upon a AAA rating of 3-diamonds; I have since informed AAA of the situation with no response.

My point is: ratings don't always tell the story. Maybe this will save someone some anxiety.

• Liked — They refunded my money
  • Disliked — Misleading ratings in AAA
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

A friend and I booked a week long stay at the Ramada in "downtown Denver" without really checking reviews first. Bad idea!! It was our first time in Denver and we are city people (I work in downtown Manhattan and she, in midtown) so we wanted to stay in the city area. The Ramada's idea of "downtown" is like our idea of the outskirts of Queens. The area was questionable, and the characters at the bus stops made us decide not to ride public transit. This coming from two New Yorkers is saying a lot.

That being said, the room was a bargain for what we paid. It was spacious and the beds were comfortable. The free shuttle was also a bargain - they take you anywhere in downtown Denver for free, and it runs on an hourly schedule.

However, with the shuttle... we had some minor complaints which the terrible front desk responded, "too bad, it's free." The front desk staff. Where do I begin? One girl was friendly and helpful. The rest of them... so bad. Here's a list.

1. They acted like the shuttle should be some well kept secret. We were going to a hockey game at the Pepsi Center and asked how to get there. The front desk guy sighed and went through various bus routes and taxi costs. Another guest who was near us said, "Why don't you take the shuttle?" When we asked what that was, the guy at the front desk said, "It's a free shuttle that leaves hourly." When my friend asked why he hadn't told us about it, he kind of rolled his eyes and said "You didn't ask." Okay...

2. The shuttle was GREAT. However, when we were at our hockey game, we called and said "The game is over around 9:30... what shuttle should we get?" The guy at the front desk said "The 9 pm shuttle. But make sure you are on the curb at 8:55." We said okay, left the game a half hour early, and stood on the curb. It was a 20 degree night and we stood waiting until 9:45 for the shuttle to come. We called the hotel around 9:30 and asked if they had a way of finding where the shuttle was and they said no. Then they said "You were the last people on the list, so you get picked up last. The shuttle left the hotel at 9 pm, so it probably won't get to you until close to 10." The shuttle is free, again, so I wouldn't have minded waiting, but the fact that they told us to wait at 8:55 when we were last and it didn't even leave the hotel until 9? Ridiculous!

3. I left my cell phone in the room on our first day there. When we were out and about, I realized I didn't have my phone with me. Totally my fault. I used my friend's phone to call the hotel just to see if they could possibly have the housekeeping service check to see if it was on the table. The guy at the front desk said, "I can't just go around looking in your room for something you forgot." I was like "I understand, but is it possible to have housekeeping check?" and he hung up on me. I completely understand if it is against the rules for them to go in the rooms, but was just asking a question, and he was a complete jerk about it and hung up.

The general attitude of the front desk employees was just a lack of caring. It is annoying when you're on vacation and have to deal with incredibly rude people the entire time. I don't think anyone ever smiled or said thank you or said hello/goodbye. If you're working a front desk job, it's part of your JOB to be congenial and welcoming. So while the hotel may have been a "deal" ... it wasn't worth it to be treated so disrespectfully and we would've rather have paid more money for better service.

• Liked — Free shuttle
  • Disliked — Unfriendly staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Flagstaff, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

This hotel was the perfect location for our trip. It was the only hotel located close to the event we were attending. SO convenient. Then staff were friendly and the room was satisfactory. The only problem was the A/C didn't really cool the room. The one best thing about our stay was the location, it was centrally located to everything, restaurants, bars, and the event we attended about 3 or 4 blocks away!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — A/C not really working
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Somerville, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

Was attending a conference downtown and looking for something cheaper than the conference hotel. On paper this one looked okay, though I should have been alerted by the description of its 'rustic decor' (in reality, this means 70's shabby with rough-hewn wood paneling lining all of the halls). I never mind walking, but this hotel is in a very questionable neighborhood. Daytime walking was okay, but at night??? It was at least 20 minutes' walk to the center of downtown. Doable, but not exactly close.

Had many problems: key card that wouldn't work, assigned to a room that was already in use, leaky tub, etc. The staff was responsive enough, but there should not have been so many problems!

Overall, the impression was dingy and depressing. I can't recommend this to anyone.

• Disliked — General condition
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
bozeman montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

For attending a downtown seminar, this hotel worked out great. I talked with Jonathan, who worked with me for a room location to my preference and some other details. In the end he got me a great price too. I almost chickened out after reading the other reviews, but he assured me the renovating was good and the hotel was decent. It is an older building and you can't get around that, but it was just fine. Our king bed room was nice. Plenty of space, everything worked, accessories were nice. Best of all, the shuttle to our event at the Convention Center was free, as was the parking for our car for 4+ days. The shuttle will take you or pick you up anywhere w/in 3 miles, every hour from 7 to 10. These 2 things added up quickly at the other hotels I spoke to. We were on the 2nd floor, #259, facing the courtyard. It was quiet - we heard none of the street noise you'd think of in a city. Curtains were good so we could make the room nice and dark. The pub across the street was good too. If you are the kind of person who likes to stay in super nice places as part of your trip experience, then try one of the $175 a night hotels and $20 a day to park your car. If you want to be at a decent place, for half that price, on the edge of downtown, and have the extra money to spend on fun, this hotel will probably serve you well. Jonathan and the other staff we encountered were all real nice. Jonathan's picks for food, that we tried, were great too. All in all, my wife and I were well pleased and felt we found a great value.

• Liked — easy to find/drive to. quiet. good food/pub across street. free shuttle and parking. location
  • Disliked — squeeky knob for hot water on bathroom sink.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ramada Denver Downtown? Share your experiences!