“Good budget hotel. Bad location and service.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #77 of 147 hotels in Denver
New York City, New York
“Good budget hotel. Bad location and service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

A friend and I booked a week long stay at the Ramada in "downtown Denver" without really checking reviews first. Bad idea!! It was our first time in Denver and we are city people (I work in downtown Manhattan and she, in midtown) so we wanted to stay in the city area. The Ramada's idea of "downtown" is like our idea of the outskirts of Queens. The area was questionable, and the characters at the bus stops made us decide not to ride public transit. This coming from two New Yorkers is saying a lot.

That being said, the room was a bargain for what we paid. It was spacious and the beds were comfortable. The free shuttle was also a bargain - they take you anywhere in downtown Denver for free, and it runs on an hourly schedule.

However, with the shuttle... we had some minor complaints which the terrible front desk responded, "too bad, it's free." The front desk staff. Where do I begin? One girl was friendly and helpful. The rest of them... so bad. Here's a list.

1. They acted like the shuttle should be some well kept secret. We were going to a hockey game at the Pepsi Center and asked how to get there. The front desk guy sighed and went through various bus routes and taxi costs. Another guest who was near us said, "Why don't you take the shuttle?" When we asked what that was, the guy at the front desk said, "It's a free shuttle that leaves hourly." When my friend asked why he hadn't told us about it, he kind of rolled his eyes and said "You didn't ask." Okay...

2. The shuttle was GREAT. However, when we were at our hockey game, we called and said "The game is over around 9:30... what shuttle should we get?" The guy at the front desk said "The 9 pm shuttle. But make sure you are on the curb at 8:55." We said okay, left the game a half hour early, and stood on the curb. It was a 20 degree night and we stood waiting until 9:45 for the shuttle to come. We called the hotel around 9:30 and asked if they had a way of finding where the shuttle was and they said no. Then they said "You were the last people on the list, so you get picked up last. The shuttle left the hotel at 9 pm, so it probably won't get to you until close to 10." The shuttle is free, again, so I wouldn't have minded waiting, but the fact that they told us to wait at 8:55 when we were last and it didn't even leave the hotel until 9? Ridiculous!

3. I left my cell phone in the room on our first day there. When we were out and about, I realized I didn't have my phone with me. Totally my fault. I used my friend's phone to call the hotel just to see if they could possibly have the housekeeping service check to see if it was on the table. The guy at the front desk said, "I can't just go around looking in your room for something you forgot." I was like "I understand, but is it possible to have housekeeping check?" and he hung up on me. I completely understand if it is against the rules for them to go in the rooms, but was just asking a question, and he was a complete jerk about it and hung up.

The general attitude of the front desk employees was just a lack of caring. It is annoying when you're on vacation and have to deal with incredibly rude people the entire time. I don't think anyone ever smiled or said thank you or said hello/goodbye. If you're working a front desk job, it's part of your JOB to be congenial and welcoming. So while the hotel may have been a "deal" ... it wasn't worth it to be treated so disrespectfully and we would've rather have paid more money for better service.

• Liked — Free shuttle
  • Disliked — Unfriendly staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

531 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Flagstaff, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

This hotel was the perfect location for our trip. It was the only hotel located close to the event we were attending. SO convenient. Then staff were friendly and the room was satisfactory. The only problem was the A/C didn't really cool the room. The one best thing about our stay was the location, it was centrally located to everything, restaurants, bars, and the event we attended about 3 or 4 blocks away!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — A/C not really working
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Somerville, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

Was attending a conference downtown and looking for something cheaper than the conference hotel. On paper this one looked okay, though I should have been alerted by the description of its 'rustic decor' (in reality, this means 70's shabby with rough-hewn wood paneling lining all of the halls). I never mind walking, but this hotel is in a very questionable neighborhood. Daytime walking was okay, but at night??? It was at least 20 minutes' walk to the center of downtown. Doable, but not exactly close.

Had many problems: key card that wouldn't work, assigned to a room that was already in use, leaky tub, etc. The staff was responsive enough, but there should not have been so many problems!

Overall, the impression was dingy and depressing. I can't recommend this to anyone.

• Disliked — General condition
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
bozeman montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

For attending a downtown seminar, this hotel worked out great. I talked with Jonathan, who worked with me for a room location to my preference and some other details. In the end he got me a great price too. I almost chickened out after reading the other reviews, but he assured me the renovating was good and the hotel was decent. It is an older building and you can't get around that, but it was just fine. Our king bed room was nice. Plenty of space, everything worked, accessories were nice. Best of all, the shuttle to our event at the Convention Center was free, as was the parking for our car for 4+ days. The shuttle will take you or pick you up anywhere w/in 3 miles, every hour from 7 to 10. These 2 things added up quickly at the other hotels I spoke to. We were on the 2nd floor, #259, facing the courtyard. It was quiet - we heard none of the street noise you'd think of in a city. Curtains were good so we could make the room nice and dark. The pub across the street was good too. If you are the kind of person who likes to stay in super nice places as part of your trip experience, then try one of the $175 a night hotels and $20 a day to park your car. If you want to be at a decent place, for half that price, on the edge of downtown, and have the extra money to spend on fun, this hotel will probably serve you well. Jonathan and the other staff we encountered were all real nice. Jonathan's picks for food, that we tried, were great too. All in all, my wife and I were well pleased and felt we found a great value.

• Liked — easy to find/drive to. quiet. good food/pub across street. free shuttle and parking. location
  • Disliked — squeeky knob for hot water on bathroom sink.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Altoona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

Well, my trip started with a bus ride from the airport to the hotel that was scary at best. Riding a Humvee through Fallujah is safer than being out in that neighborhood.

Anyhow, we checked in, only to find out our room wasn't ready because there was a SWAT team with rifles and shotguns raiding the hotel's third floor looking for someone and they wouldn't let us upstairs. We were told to go "find a beer" and check in later.

The van service into the city wasn't bad, but the girl who drove us back to the hotel one night had the music blasting and she was dancing while driving the van on two wheels as she hit the turns.

Overall, this hotel was a bad dream. Im glad I can laugh about it now, but wish I stayed elsewhere. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Liked — Checking Out
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix/Scottsdale
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

After multiple business trips to Denver for several meetings, choosing the Ramada Inn was the worst decision me and my company made for a business trip.

The hotel staff was incapable of answering and managing BASIC hotel questions. What time does your food service start? Can I get a car for the hotel tomorrow? My hotel room doesn't have a working television - can you help? Each of these questions were answered with either "I don't know, I'm not sure, or I can't" - how can anyone in a customer service position (and customer service driven industry) be trained to answer guests that way? AND it was every employee across the board.

If you are on a business trip and need to rely on Ramada Inn, Denver Downtown, Denver, CO 80218, [--] - I highly suggest that you avoid this location and brand if you expect to stay in a hotel. Your better off going to the local homeless shelter and requesting a cot.

Stayed February 2008
Rapid City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

If you have any other choice, stay away from this Ramada Inn. After choosing this hotel because of its close proximity to the Fillmore Auditorium, I wish I had decided to take a longer walk to my destination. The disappointment started when I arrived and they only had one staff member maning the front desk during peak check-in hours. After a lengthy wait, I boarded the elevator. From the sounds the elevator made as it creeped its way up two whole floors, I began to wonder just what kind of death trap I had entered. Upon entering my room I was confused, wondering just when I had left the Ramada Inn and entered a Motel 6. Saying the room did not live up to my expectations is a drastic understatement. Not only did it smell musty, but when I tried to take a shower the next morning I found out that there was only enough hot water for one guest to take a shower at the same time. All in all a completely unsatisfactory experience.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ramada Denver Downtown? Share your experiences!