“Hello, is anyone in my room?” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Oxford Hotel to your Saves list
The Oxford Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1600 17th Street, Denver, CO 80202   |
Ranked #12 of 147 hotels in Denver
“Hello, is anyone in my room?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Checking in was just the beginning of it all - taking about ten plus minutes. Then, I asked if I could schedule the courtesy shuttle - and instead of helping me, the desk assistant pointed in the direction of the bellman. Then, after receiving my key, I arrived at the room, opened the door only to find the room's current occupany away, but his luggage neatly packed and his laptop screensaver showing his lovely family. I returned to the front desk, they fixed the snafu and kindly walked me to my NEW room. They recovered nicely and apologized. I have stayed at this hotel several times on business and never had this level of 'hiccup' happen. We will give them one more chance to get it right.

• Stayed December 2012

444 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I loved staying at this hotel. We arrived really late but they took care of us well. The hotel has a lot of old charm and it was great roaming around with my son throughout the historic complex. The rooms were comfortable and the location was perfect-- right downtown. If we were to stay in a similar place in San Francisco, we would be spending triple. Other reviewers who complain about a lack of amenities should understand the trade-off. Don't look for a Hyatt business type room if you are staying at the Oxford.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We chose this hotel because it was close to the station. The station has relocated during a long refurbishment programme. The hotel is also very overpriced for its location and our room was in need of a makeover. No coffee machine in the room. A cold white tiled bathroom like a morgue.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The Oxford Hotel reminds me of something you would expect to see in a movie from the 50's - grand, elegant and charming. The staff are fantastic, providing a level of service many other establishments could learn from. The rooms some of the most comfortable i have stayed in - the beds are hugely comfortable, and shower and bathroom ameneties are brilliant. The locations is great for the Denver nightlife (downtown is pretty easy to navigate), and all of the best bars are within a 10 minute walk - unless you wish to use the complimentary car.

Can be a tad expensive at times (USD 370 a night when i last stayed due to the Denver Beer Festival), but generally this hotel is worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We came for "city escape" -being folks from the more rural part of the area - and just had a fabulous time! Location can not be beat!! Rooms are charming, quiet and well-appointed. Bed was uber comfy. We will be back!!

• Stayed November 2012
Longmont, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Oxford for our anniversary. Everything was perfect from start to finish. When making the reservation, our room was immediately upgraded because it was our anniversary. The room was gorgeous, extremely clean, and had a beautiful remodeled bathroom with a glass shower and huge claw foot soaking tub. Shortly after we arrived, Patrick the manager sent up a bottle of wine to our room. After 3 hours at the spa, we came back to the room to find a bottle of champagne chlling and rose petals all over the bed and floor. Very romantic and unexpected. Dinner at McCormick's was great...sounds crazy but we ordered shrimp and andouille sausage mac and cheese and it was eye-rolling delicious. The seafood gumbo and parmesan encrusted flounder with butternut squash orzo and sugar snap peas was delicious as well. Both of us received fantastic spa treatments from Michael and Anitra....reflexology and the Moor Mud Bath. Holy relaxation! It was amazing. Drink lots of water before the mud bath as it is very detoxifying and left us feeling a little woozy and spacey for the rest of the evening. The room was a little noisy from late night revelers outside, but other than that, it was PERFECT. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Ask for the Park and Stay Deluxe Room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I'm not a big "consumer" of hotel services - am usually too busy with work to use the hotel for much more than sleeping and using WiFi.

The Oxford Hotel is one of those grand historic hotels that makes you feel like you've entered a different era. I generally prefer hotels that are more modern and here are my thoughts on The Oxford:

NEGATIVES (in my opinion)
- Beds are too soft
- Rooms themselves feel a little outdated

POSITIVES
- Public areas are amazing
- Staff is THE BEST I've ever had
- Gorgeous bathrooms
- Convenient location
- Free shoe shine
- Free black car service to take you around downtown
- Did I mention the great staff?

A hotel can often run into issues that are minor and not the fault of the management and rarely have I encountered a hotel where there has been such a proactive response and well managed approach to making it right.

I don't write reviews of at least 2/3rds of the hotels I stay at because they don't leave an impression on me but The Oxford Hotel's staff is something other hotel's management should envy. Literally every staff member is happy, willing to help, and genuinely seems to care.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Oxford Hotel? Share your experiences!