“a find” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 147 hotels in Denver
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“a find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

it is a year or so since i visited but it was brought to mind when a friend wanted a recommendation for Denver.
Not the easiest place to find if you have a car so take a taxi if possible, situated
in the historic part of town, all the old part of the city is within walking distance.
A limousine is laid on if you want to go further afield in the town.
Its small, intimate and comfortable, not cheap but I got a good deal.
Denver itself is pretty boring part from the area immediately surrounding hotel.
Visit Molly Browns house{of Titanic Fame} have afternoon tea at Browns hotel,
visit the Tattered Cover" book shop and that is pretty much it but then of course you are
so close to some of the most glorious scenery in America.
There is a good restaurant at the Oxford but I would go elsewhere for breakfast.\
Treat yourself to a short flight to Rapid city and visit Mount Rushmore.

i

Room Tip: It is not a Hotel with views so I cannot help with this
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

441 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed at the Oxford while attending a downtown conference. The hotel is centrally located; everything downtown is within walking distance or an easy ride on the free16th St. tram. Our room was an "Art Deco" room, not large, but roomy enough. The room was very clean. I thought for awhile that one chair was badly stained, but decided the fabric just looked that way. The bathroom was clean and attractive. On one chilly day a fire was burning in the lobby, which was warm and cheerful. I could never get on-line, but maybe that was my computer's problem. Breakfast is not included, but there is coffee on each floor in the morning. One caution: some of the rooms have NO view; the one we had (odd-number on 3rd floor) looked out at the wall of another building, which was only 3 ft or so away. The Oxford is an excellent choice for downtown; it is historic and retains charm--most other hotels downtown are "cookie-cutter" chains.

Room Tip: Ask if your room has a view of the street or not.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lewes, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I really liked this hotel. It has great character, architecturally, and the rooms (standard rooms) are small but cozy and well appointed. I loved the fresh coffee they put out on each floor in the morning. I didn't even have to change out of my PJs to go get a cup. The staff was also very friendly. We arrived very late, and they were able to suggest a place we could grab a late night dinner, and the free guest parking was a plus. We also had a nightcap in the seafood restaurant/bar attached to the hotel, and they were very good. They make their margaritas from scratch - no mix and freshly squeezed juice. Being that it was right before Halloween, I kept thinking I would see a ghost (the bartender told us the hotel is haunted) but I never did. I did enjoy the elaborately-decorated Halloween-themed window at the front of the hotel though. We didn't bring our pet, but I think I should mention that the hotel is pet-friendly. There was a wedding reception taking place downstairs the night we stayed, and the bride had her dog with her. I thought that was neat. And did I mention the location? As others have said, it is within walking distance of the best downtown Denver has to offer. The only downside is that we had a view of an alley out of our window. Since we spent very little time in our room, this was not a big deal, but if I were to stay again, I would ask for a room with a view.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't look out onto the alley. Also ask for a room on the 5th floor becaus...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Location - The hotel is a couple blocks away from the popular 16th St. It's extremely easy to walk anywhere in downtown (there is a free shuttle on 16th that will take you to the other side of downtown if you don't want to walk).

Service - From the front desk to housekeeping to the bellmen, very prompt and friendly. Didn't order room service so I can't say anything about that.

Room - Old. But grand. We were on the second floor and the ceilings were about 15 feet tall with crown molding and window drapes that hung all the way from the ceiling. There was what used to be a fireplace and mantle. The door lock still takes a regular key (no key card here). the bed was nice to sleep in. However, being on the second floor facing the street, there was some street noise. It was never enough to disturb me, but it was there. And at odd times you might hear faint noises through the door or the vent in the ceiling. It wasn't intrusive, so just part of the charm... The room had a Bose radio with an iPod plugin. There was a lot of square footage also (it wasn't a suite), so we felt like we were just in a comfortable room in our own house.

There is a large bookshelf at the top of the stair landing going from the lobby area up to the second floor. If you're a reader, check it out (I have no idea what the book loan process is, so check with the front desk).

WiFi is free! A nice touch. So many of the 4+ stars out there charge $10 to $25 a day for that sort of thing. If you can't get a good wifi signal on your phone - tip: you have to bring up a browser window and log in, then it should work fine.

Room Tip: The doors are old so there could be hallway noise if you're close to common/high traffic areas.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Surrey, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We arrived after a long flight from London, feeling pretty shabby but were bowled over by the hotel. It's down a historic street and has managed to keep its charm and character.

Reception was great, always very friendly, as were the staff around the hotel and doormen in their fabulous outfits and hats! Our room was massive, the bed comfortable and we never heard any noise from outside. We also liked the free coffee that was available until about 11am every morning. Wireless access was also free.

The hotel's in a really great location, just a few blocks from restaurants, shops, bars and so on, so no need to end up eating in the same place every evening.

We'd got a B&B package, breakfasts were substantial, though I did try the oatmeal and wasn't that impressed. Not sure if it's meant to be lukewarm, but it wasn't a patch on good Scottish porridge! The other choices were excellent though.

All in all, I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We had a high up room overlooking the street, good views, quiet
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

A lovely hotel with friendly and helpful staff and excellent service.
We stayed for one night before flying back to the UK from Denver. I did not feel very well during stay so did not try all of the facilities, but this was not the fault of the Oxford!

Room Tip: We had a corner room which was light and spacious
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I am very particular about the hotels that I choose and feel fortunate to have found the Oxford. With the exception of being ignored for five minutes at check-in while the desk clerk was on the phone (which I had forgotten until now), the service was superb. All of the staff were extremely helpful, friendly and very casual. The car service is a real bonus, saving a lot of money on taxis and time when I was too late to be able to walk.
The location is perfect, away from the highrise buildings and mega hotels of downtown. You could take all of your meals within a block or two and be very happy with the Denver restaurants. There are beautiful running and biking trails close by also. The walk to the convention center is a beautiful mile with options for different streets every day.
The ambiance of the hotel is homey, old Denver, casual. The room was very comfortable, clean and relatively quiet, especially for a 2nd floor close to street noise usually.
Nice business center, coffee available very early, free access to the spa next door, free selection of newspapers and free WI-fi.
I absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a reasonably priced, small boutique hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Oxford Hotel? Share your experiences!