You added The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   321 17th St., Denver, CO 80202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, MA
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2007

The Brown Palace is a nice place but nothing special. The staff was very friendly and helpful but the rooms need updating. My shower was tiny as was my bathroom. The bathroom also had a step down which caused me to trip a few times. The bed was very comfortable however. Overall just average.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Polish first
Lawrence
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2007

I loved the Brown Palace!
I feel one word that summarizes this hotel is classic. It was like turning back the clock to the 1940s. The service was amazingly friendly - like how it used to be. The decor was wonderful. However the best part about the hotel, was the restaurants. I ate at two of them (the Ellyingtons and Palace Arms was one of the finest meals I've ever had) and had a drink at the Churchill Bar.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
phoenix
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2006

I reserved a "Top of the Brown" room, received my confirmation and upon arrival, my wife and I checked in and were taken to a standard room on the 4th floor. I called the front desk and was told that the reservation system must have made an error so I took them my printed confirmation. Well, it just so happed that all the "Top of The Brown" rooms were sold out so I asked if I could pay more for an upgraded room (suite) but was told they were sold out too. I asked for the Manager and was asked in return "which Manager as the Brown has many Managers", so I asked for "The Hotel Manager" but I guess they don't have one. I have to mention, we were given the lower standard room rate, comp breakfast and comp one night room. This was very fair but the overall confusion and room disapointment was not in character with a 5 star hotel.

• Liked — room service
  • Disliked — reservations, front desk
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2006

I stayed here for a conference back in October. I thought the hotel was wonderful. I had high tea on Sunday in the lobby area and it was awesome. I HIGHLY recommend it. The Palace Arms is a very upscale restaurant in the hotel and it was fabulous. My manager visited the spa and said it was one of the best spa experiences she had ever had. I think this hotel is great for business trips but I would stay here again if I ever visited Denver while on vacation.

• Liked — The restaurants and accomodations
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on November 11. We just wanted to get away for a night and had many surprises and a couple of letdowns.

Hotel:
Beautiful hotel on the exterior and interior lobby and restaurant areas. They have done an amazing job of preserving the hotels history. They also do tours and a ghost tour which I would love to do. The decorations are that of the early 1900's.

Room:
This was one of our dissapointments of the trip. We stayed in their superior King room which I would say was lacking in comparison with the rest of the hotel. The room and bathroom was very outdated and had a very musty smell that you quickly got over after being in the room for a few minutes. The drapes and carpet need some help but the furniture was elegant. The bed was very comfortable with great sheets.

Service:
The service here is the BEST in the city. From the bell man to the maid service. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The twice daily maid service is a nice touch with chocolates and ice in the evening.

Food:
We had ordered late night room service (3am) and we had never had such good room service ever!!! Reubens, cheeseburger, chips with onion dip. It was great.

Sunday Brunch:
We are going back to the Brown for a night to specifically have their TO DIE FOR brunch. They have 2 different times for brunch. One that starts before 10 and one after 10. We had the cheap brunch(before 10) and it was exquisite. Everything was so fresh and elegant. Service was impeccable.

I recommend this hotel overall over the other hotels we've stayed at in the city -Hotel Teatro, Marriott city Center, Grand Hyatt. Hope this helps.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Sub-standard room
  • Tips/Secrets — Room Service and Brunch are excellent
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2006

I just returned from a 2 and a half day stay at this turn of the century (last two centuries) hotel. I was there on business and although I have been a lot of places doing exactly the same thing, let me tell you when at the Brown Palace in Denver do not expect the "same thing".
First, and this is not a complaint, be prepared if you take a taxi cab from the Denver Airport. The fare will cost you about $50.00 without tip. Then get prepared to be treated like a guest and dare I say a customer. That's right, be prepared to be treated like a customer should be, with respect and as if you were the only customer to be escorted from the curb by the classically dressed doorman into the beautifully restored late-1800 lobby. Of course all the modern convenience surround you but once you enter the lobby you can feel the way it was 100 years ago.
The lodgings are something to brag about, simple yet "fancy" enough for people like me (country folk at heart that do not expect a lot) to take a step back and nod in approval. The only advise I have for you is this; 1) be careful entering the room's bathroom, you have to step up to enter; 2) all the eateries and "high tea" time in the lobby have signs that read "proper attire" and even though I wear jeans whenever possible, I did not this week --- Hint; and finally 3) enjoy the area, get out and walk over to the 16th street open air mall, or maybe take a tour of the US Mint it is only 10 minute walk from this location.

• Liked — Historic value and central location
  • Disliked — room prices for the average traveler is out of the question
  • Tips/Secrets — be prepared to pay