“Birthday Surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection

You added The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   321 17th St., Denver, CO 80202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersGold level
Denver, Colorado
“Birthday Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This hotel has an antiquated charm and history that is unparalleled in Denver. I came to the Brown Palace for my birthday and let them know in the additional comments when I made the original reservation. 5-10 minutes after I arrived, the staff came in to turn down the beds with chocolate. I was pleasantly surprised. I left for dinner then came back and 10 minutes after I entered the room again, the staff came by and set up a bowl of chocolate covered strawberries, Perrier and a personalized beautiful note from management wishing me a happy birthday. I was so happy and surprised at their attention to detail. The staff service was excellent, there was a lively band in the downstairs foyer and the atmosphere was lively. I would highly recomment this hotel if you value smaller, historic type rooms and a unique setting.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
We are honored you chose to celebrate your birthday with us and are delighted to know that our staff and the ambience of the hotel had ensured your celebration was memorable.

Thank you for visiting us and we look forward to providing you with another enjoyable stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Polish first
Billings, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I would love to write a glowing review of the Brown Palace, but unfortunately I cannot. No other hotel in Denver has the history, position, and beautiful facade of this hotel. I so wish someone would buy it who would do something with it. From the wellworn, outdated, ill-fitting uniforms of the staff, to the completely dead cascade of dead pointsettias, this visit was a disappointment. The rooms have had some updates, however when will hotels learn that pedestal sinks in small bathrooms(with no shelf) leave nowhere for you to put any toiletries! While it looks updated the actual use and comfort of these dumb sinks is dismal at best. There should be some kind of small oriental rug at the door of the room and not just the cold marble floor...it doesn't look welcoming and warm. The door knobs while may be "period", look tired and like something you might find in an old unrestored hotel. We had breakfast in Ellingtons and it seemed we were served by the Senior Citizen brigade(which I can say, since I am one). This would not be a problem at all except for the very few diners it took an enormously long time to be waited on, and none of them were very friendly. We also checked in on a Sunday night for one night(not usually a busy night for a hotel) I was kind of surprised we were not offered an upgrade, the place seemed virtually empty. The dutifu,l not very welcoming front desk person, could have easily given us an upgrade. (We did not book through expedia which I know can put you in the "no upgrade bucket", we booked directly through the hotel) I think if the hotel were really spruced up, and someone put some money into it, it could be truly restored to the glorious hotel it once was. You are going to continue to draw the kind of staff you have (except for a few old-timers who have been consistently good over the years), if you don't "up your game", and people who want a 4star or better experience will go elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
We were truly disheartened to read that your recent visit to The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa did not meet your expectations and appreciate your taking the time to share your critique.

Our goal is to provide all of our guests a first-class luxury experience while maintaining the historical integrity and charm of our historical landmark. Our staff's uniforms are meant to reflect a professional and welcoming look complementing the ambience of the hotel. We will be sure to review with our teams to ensure all uniforms are fitted appropriately.

I also understand you were disappointed with the functionality of the pedestal sink in your guest room. We do offer a variety of guest room options with varying layouts and amenities. Our Front Office staff would be happy to find you a room accommodation with a larger sink area for your next visit. We are also sorry we were not able to provide you with an upgrade during your stay. We do strive to offer our guests upgrades when available, especially when celebrating a once-in-a-lifetime celebration with us, such as, honeymoon, anniversary, etc.

We would like to sincerely apologize for the slow service you experienced at Ellyngton's, as well as for any of our staff who may not have provided you with the welcoming and genuine service we pride ourselves for. We would be most grateful for any additional feedback you would be willing to share regarding your experience. This will help us to continue delivering exceptional service, which our guests have come to expect and appreciate. Please feel free to contact Ryan Pratt, Rooms Division Manager, at your convenience at rpratt@brownpalace.com.

We hope we will have the pleasure of regaining your confidence during a future stay!
surrey, u.k.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed at the Brown Palace some years ago when I was more impressionable and less critical but I remember thoroughly enjoying my stay in this historic property. This time I was only visiting not staying but I'm pleased to report the Hotel looked as great as I remembered, probably better given the recent restoration. This place is a slice of American History, well maintained and of a quality seldom seen in modern structures I imagine it's still THE place to stay in Denver.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
We are truly humbled by your generous remarks and are delighted to know that your recent stay was even more impressive compared to the visit you enjoyed with us a few years ago.

We hope we will have many more opportunities to surpass your expectations!
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The reputation of the Brown Palace is exceptional, so it's hard to live up to the legend. The Brown Palace is indeed everything it purports to be. It has the convenience of a chain (Marriott), but the charm and service of years gone by when traveling was much more glamorous.

Given that it is an older structure, it is built solid and therefore quiet. The service, food, atmosphere, and everything else are impeccable. If you shop carefully, the prices are quite reasonable for what you get and the convenience of downtown Denver. I had the chance to chat with a long-time housekeeper (Mary) who told me about the history of the hotel. It seems that the property manager lives in the hotel and is 'in the trenches' with the staff quite often. That's old-school true leadership, and it shows.

I didn't have the chance to visit the spa, but I can't imagine it being less than stellar.

I will never stay anywhere else in Denver.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay at our unique and historical luxury destination and are grateful for your time in sharing your experience.

We believe the most important component of our foundation is our associates, the ones in front with our guests, as well as, the staff behind the scenes. We're happy to know one of our more long-term team members, Mary, was able to share some of our cherished history with you. It gave me great pleasure to share your kind remarks with her.

We hope you will have a chance to visit us again very soon!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Love this place - have stayed here many times. Each room is different. I prefer the larger king size (not queen). Beds are comfy and the rooms are quite. Amazing lobby and "tea". Live music in the main area each day - great to enjoy a coffee, formal "tea", or drink. Shipwreck tavern is nice for a drink or lunch. Ellyngon's is good for lunch (have not had dinner there).

Room Tip: i recommend upgrading from the queen/small rooms which are quite small. Some rooms are oddly shaped...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
We are truly grateful for your loyal patronage and are pleased to know you have enjoyed all of your visits with us.

Thank you for your generous remarks regarding the rooms, bedding, entertainment and dining venues. We hope to provide you with many more memorable stays in the future!
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I last visited Brown Palace about 15 years ago and was impressed with it then and nothing has changed .. They now have Wi Fi of course but the hotel still has that great old charm , friendly staff and Great HI Tea ... My wife also enjoyed the spa with our friends and said it was first class. The doorman ( Le Roy ) is your first encounter and he beams with a big smile as he welcomes you to his hotel .. You really do feel like you are enjoying coming to a friends home , all be it a 5 star home .
The afternoon tea was also quite special , but make sure you book or there could be quite a wait.
All in all a great hotel with real old world charm.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bath .. The room is a bit bigger .
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
We are very happy to know that everything you enjoyed and appreciated about The Brown Palace during your visit 15 years ago still remains today, albeit with a few modern enhancements along the way.

Thank you for recognizing the excellent service from the staff, and from our Spa in particular. We appreciate your continued patronage and LeRoy and his megawatt smile will be awaiting your return!
Superior, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I work at a hotel for a living. I decided to take a 1 day vacation just to get away and let someone else do all the work for me, like I usually do for them. I thought about doing the Ritz-Carlton about 3 blocks away, but I couldn't get a company discount there because it's somewhat of a separate company, but still under the Marriott brand.

Regardless...I went with the Brown Palace for my price point. Now realistically, theres less than $100/nt between the two, and at over $200 the Brown Palace is not cheap and the extra for the Ritz would be irrelevant for most staying here.

If you have -plenty- of money to spend, the Brown Palace is a fine place to stay. If you are looking for a fun night out with the strapped budget you have, splurge for the Ritz, it'll be better worth your money.

I spent $50 on room service (which was expected) on a Burger, Bread Pudding and a Guinness. The presentation was fantastic, but the Bread Pudding was a total let down and the Burger was...good.

The internet (again, expected) was $10.95. Being an old building, there were no outlets to plug in my laptop. I finally found a surge protector under the TV stand. And the office chair was not comfortable.

The BIGGEST letdown of the night was, horribly, the bed. It was unbelievably hard. It was the worst nights sleep I've had in years.

Now I can't say the lobby isn't magnificent, because it is. I did that awkward walk forward while staring up at the chandelier covered in decorations, while a bellman directed me toward Registration.

I just feel like, if you have money to waste, this was a really fun experience. If it's all the money you have because you want to feel good for a night, it's terrible. I know I could've got a way nicer room at the Ritz-Carlton with service to match. And even with a near 75% discount, I still spent $185.

Would I come back? Maybe. Will I try the Ritz? Definitely.

Room Tip: I was in 601, nearly in the corner of the building. No issues with sound of neighbors. I did hear th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to express your feedback.

We are glad to know that as a fellow member of the hospitality industry that you had an opportunity to stay with us recently. I appreciate your sharing your concerns regarding the overall pricing at the Hotel. As a luxury hotel in downtown Denver, our pricing is benchmarked against other luxury properties within our vicinity and we carefully monitor to ensure that this remains either at or below our competitors. We strive to offer all of our guests a truly unique and memorable stay and I deeply regret if we had failed to provide you with an experience that you felt was worth the value.

I am also sorry to learn that you found your bed to be uncomfortable. If we do have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future, our Front Desk team would be happy to visit alternative bedding options with you to ensure your comfort. Please also accept my apologies for the poor food quality of your bread pudding, which I will be sharing with our culinary team for review.

Again, we are grateful for your critique and appreciate your service to the industry!