“This hotel just gets better and better” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   321 17th St., Denver, CO 80202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #13 of 147 hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
“This hotel just gets better and better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We have lived in the Denver area all of our lives and over the years we have spent occasional nights at the Brown Palace for special occasions such as New Years Eve, birthdays, anniversaries
This latest stay was by far the very best of all!!
The room was one of the nicest yet. Quiet, spacious, and very well decorated!
The art work on the walls was very interesting and tasteful. The bed was sooooo comfortable
Brunch in the hotel the next morning was by far the best brunch I have ever had. Make reservations early since they book up quickly
I would give this hotel a double thumbs up

• Stayed November 2012
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
We are truly grateful for our loyal patrons, such as yourselves, and we are very happy to know that your experiences at The Brown only improve with each visit.

We look forward to providing you with many more memorable moments at The Brown in the coming years!

1,041 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Polish first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I took my wife to THE Brown for her birthday, December 1st. We live in Cherry Creek in Denver and decided to just do a little get away.

The Brown is Denvers prominent historic hotel and this majestic building lived up to its billing as the place to be in Downtown Denver.

We arrived by car and meandered through the cordoned off area as Denver's "Parade of Lights" was about to start. The police escort through the parade route was effecient and lead us directly to the Valet. It was unusually warm for Denver on the December night and the crowds that had come to watch Denvers Christmas parade were lined up on the streets.

Check in was fast, friendly and efficient and we quickly checked into our room that overlooked the parade route and then hurriedly ran back down to the lobby area and exited the building to watch the parade.

We had 7:30 reservations at the Buell Theatre for a showing of the play "White Christmas" so after about 45 minutes of watching the parade we jumped into a pedi-cab where we went down the 16 street mall and were delivered to the Buell. The play was incredible. No Danny Kay or Bing Crosby but the actors put on a magnificent performance that night.

The play finished, we hailed another pedi-cab and took a leisurely ride through the festive streets of Denver back to the Brown. ($16 ride each way)

Walking into the Brown and its multi story atrium was a treat but we decided to have a night cap at the ships tavern. WHAT A SURPRISE! The place was packed with patrons and a pianist in the corner was playing showtune after showtune. As songs came up different patrons would move towards the piano and start singing and they were OUTSTANDING! I couldn't believe the talent. After talking to the bartender I learned that many of the actors and actresses in town for broadway plays frequent the Brown for drinks after rehearsal and sing to the crowd.

Yes these professionals would take turn singing to the bar and when finished received ovation after ovation!

If you are in Denver it is worth your while to stay at the Brown or at least visit her. This grand old dame of a building was the western white house for President Dwight D. Eisenhower (Mamie was a Denverite) and she and her staff still welcomes visitors to our Mile High City with all the class and dignity she showed the past president.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Please extend our belated birthday wishes to your wife! We are very happy to know that you both had an enjoyable time in the city and were able to enjoy the Parade of Lights and a show at the Buell Theatre during your stay.

We're also glad to read you had chanced upon the Friday evening entertainment at Ship Tavern, which led to a magical and memorable experience overall.

We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again soon!
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I have had High Tea at the Brown Palace on different occasions now but never rated this establishment. If you want a high tea that is very special please go here for the treat. You need to make reservations. Many selections of tea are available together with two or three options for the cost of the high tea. Tea sandwiches, scones, chocolates and tea are in endless supply. You can get seconds on everything! Any time you go is good but at the Holiday Season is the best. The lobby is decorated with beautiful decorations. In addition there is music; either a harpist or piano player. If you really want a special tea experience try the Brown Palace High Tea.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
We are very happy to know that all of your Afternoon Tea experiences with us have been truly memorable and appreciate your loyal patronage. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with an authentic tea experience with a wide selection of teas, in-house pastries, scones and sandwiches available in several elegant presentations.

We do agree that the holidays are a special time to have tea at The Brown when the Atrium is festooned with opulent holiday decor.

We hope you will come join us for Afternoon Tea again soon!
Grand Junction, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My Daughter and I love to take time off and visit downtown Denver. Unfortunately the Brown Palace is showing its age. The room we had was very poorly maintained. Closet doors did not operate and heating was very load. The staff was very helpful, but I was very disappointed when we checked out that the "young" man at the front desk never asked me how our stay was. Went on to their website so that I could give them a chance to respond, but there was no page for comments. There are several very nice Hotels in downtown Denver and we always considered this as a must stay. Sorry, no longer could recommend for a nice relaxing stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
We are truly sorry to learn that your room held certain disappointments for you in regards to the difficulty with operating the closet doors and noise from the heating unit. We are grateful you brought this to our attention and I have advised our Engineering team which is focusing on being more diligent in immediately identifying and correcting these concerns.

I deeply regret that we failed to inquire about your stay upon departure, and therefore, missed an opportunity to receive your important feedback at that time.

We do have a form on our website for our guests to complete, which is immediately sent to a contact at the hotel for response. I apologize that this was not easily visible and will be following up with our web team to ensure our guests are able to locate this form and communicate with us.

Thank you again for your feedback and we remain hopeful you will return so we can have an opportunity to demonstrate that your experience was not typical nor in keeping with our long-standing reputation.
Denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

So many issues:
* Upon arrival, no bellman or bell carts available. Valet stacked luggage next to checkin desk. Eventually found a bellman to assist me, hand-carrying luggage to room.
* Lunch at the Ship Inn - 45 minutes to get food and steaks were luke-warm when received. Would have sent them back but running so late and server (again) disappeared so we just ate. I called Food Service director when we returned to room, left message, never heard back. I worked downtown for many years until 2005 and ate often at Ship Inn with great food and service - what a remarkable change for the worse.
* Locked out of room when trying to checkout. I assume keys were deactivated at 12:01pm - unfortunately we were waiting for our check at Tea downstairs for quite a long time (we were packed and ready - just need to get bags). Called front desk to let us in while standing in the hallway - after 10 minute wait I just went down and got a new, active key.

I travel 25+ weeks a year, usually staying at Hyatts and Sheratons, and the Brown Palace, a"luxury hotel", was by far the worst hotel experience I've had all year - and at twice the price. The one bright spot was the valet service - no matter how busy it was our car was waiting for us in the short time it took to get from the room to the door.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
We are truly disheartened to know that we failed to provide you with the attentive service we are known for and our guests have come to expect and appreciate.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the incovenience caused to you by not having a bellman readily available to assist with your luggage, as well as for the delays you experienced in some of our dining outlets. Rest assured that we will be reviewing these concerns with our team for retraining and opportunities to improve our guests' overall experience.

Our Director of Restaurants, Thomas Gutmann, has attempted to contact you directly in order to personally address your concerns. We would be most grateful for any further insight you would be willing to share with us. Please feel free to contact him at tgutmann@brownpalace.com at your convenience.

We are grateful for your feedback and kind words regarding our valet service, which I have shared with their team. We do hope you will consider a return visit so that we can give you the proper Brown Palace experience.
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was in Denver visiting friends and we decided to have a drink and a nice cigar after dinner one night. It is hard to find a really nice place with a nice atmosphere in the Denver area that will allow cigars. The Brown was beyond nice.

The staff from the door man to the bar to the waitress were all incredibly friendly. They had a nice selection of wines and other fare. Though we brought our own cigars had I needed one they had a nice selection that would make most anyone happy. More TV's would have made watching the ballgame easier however I honestly think it would ruin from the atmosphere. You come to The Brown to be seen and socialize, not watch football. I will let you do your own study of the history of The Brown Palace but one almost expects Teddy Roosevelt or famous oil magnets of lore to saunter in an sit down beside you. If you see Mike (big guy, balding, big glasses and cigar in hand) sit down and strike up a conversation. He has been coming to the brown weekly since 1977. An interesting guy, he can tell you more than you want to know.

It was only a few hours but The Brown was amazing. Next time I am in perhaps I will pass on the free stay with friends, get a room at The Brown. *tips hat to The Brown Palace*

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
It gave us great pleasure to read your recount of your recent visit to The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa and our famous Churchill Bar. The atmosphere of Churchill is truly unlike any other and seems to channel an entirely different era. We are glad to know one of our loyal patrons was able to share their own personal insight and experiences with you!

We do hope you will consider staying longer on your next visit and enjoying many more of the fine amenities and services The Brown has to offer. Thank you for your kind review and we look forward to serving you and your friends again soon!
Nice, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed here for a night in November when I planned to be downtown late, didn't want to drive home and wanted to pamper myself after a month of really hard work. Boy, did the Brown Palace ever deliver on that last count. Most of the other hotels in Denver were sold out that night for some reason, but I snagged what seemed like a pretty reasonable rate on their website and was excited to stay at a Denver landmark I'd only visited for afternoon tea (which is awesome, by the way).

The service was excellent from start to finish. The valet who took my car and the bellhop who took my bag were friendly and welcoming, and I got an amazing surprise at check-in: I was upgraded to a suite on the top floor that must go for several times what I paid. When I arrived in the spacious, fabulously appointed room, there was fresh ice waiting for me in the ice bucket (perfect, as I'd brought a bottle of Champagne and needed to chill it) and soothing classical music playing softly on the radio. The marble-floored bathroom boasted a separate shower and bathtub. There were large flat-screen TVs in both the bedroom and the office.

I stopped in the Ship Tavern just before the kitchen closed for some truffle fries (HUGE portion, and delicious) and a pear martini with Champagne (OMG). Service there was impeccable as well. I didn't order room service, but I took a look at the menu and the prices were surprisingly reasonable given the caliber of the hotel. After a wonderful night's sleep in the comfortable bed, I headed down to Ellyngton's for breakfast. The entire staff there was terrific, and very understanding of my gluten-free needs. I include mentions of these restaurants in the review of the hotel because I think it's important to note that the top-notch service extends to the dining establishments within the hotel as well.

Checkout was a breeze and the valet fetched my car very quickly. I was sad to leave, but very, very happy that I'd chosen to stay at Denver's most storied hotel. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a true taste of Denver, whether you're a local or just passing through -- even for one night. It's worth the splurge!

Room Tip: Suites offer a separate office, which is very helpful for the business traveler who plans to spend a...