“Significant Decline From The Past” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   321 17th St., Denver, CO 80202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 145 hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Denver
“Significant Decline From The Past”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

So many issues:
* Upon arrival, no bellman or bell carts available. Valet stacked luggage next to checkin desk. Eventually found a bellman to assist me, hand-carrying luggage to room.
* Lunch at the Ship Inn - 45 minutes to get food and steaks were luke-warm when received. Would have sent them back but running so late and server (again) disappeared so we just ate. I called Food Service director when we returned to room, left message, never heard back. I worked downtown for many years until 2005 and ate often at Ship Inn with great food and service - what a remarkable change for the worse.
* Locked out of room when trying to checkout. I assume keys were deactivated at 12:01pm - unfortunately we were waiting for our check at Tea downstairs for quite a long time (we were packed and ready - just need to get bags). Called front desk to let us in while standing in the hallway - after 10 minute wait I just went down and got a new, active key.

I travel 25+ weeks a year, usually staying at Hyatts and Sheratons, and the Brown Palace, a"luxury hotel", was by far the worst hotel experience I've had all year - and at twice the price. The one bright spot was the valet service - no matter how busy it was our car was waiting for us in the short time it took to get from the room to the door.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
We are truly disheartened to know that we failed to provide you with the attentive service we are known for and our guests have come to expect and appreciate.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the incovenience caused to you by not having a bellman readily available to assist with your luggage, as well as for the delays you experienced in some of our dining outlets. Rest assured that we will be reviewing these concerns with our team for retraining and opportunities to improve our guests' overall experience.

Our Director of Restaurants, Thomas Gutmann, has attempted to contact you directly in order to personally address your concerns. We would be most grateful for any further insight you would be willing to share with us. Please feel free to contact him at tgutmann@brownpalace.com at your convenience.

We are grateful for your feedback and kind words regarding our valet service, which I have shared with their team. We do hope you will consider a return visit so that we can give you the proper Brown Palace experience.

950 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was in Denver visiting friends and we decided to have a drink and a nice cigar after dinner one night. It is hard to find a really nice place with a nice atmosphere in the Denver area that will allow cigars. The Brown was beyond nice.

The staff from the door man to the bar to the waitress were all incredibly friendly. They had a nice selection of wines and other fare. Though we brought our own cigars had I needed one they had a nice selection that would make most anyone happy. More TV's would have made watching the ballgame easier however I honestly think it would ruin from the atmosphere. You come to The Brown to be seen and socialize, not watch football. I will let you do your own study of the history of The Brown Palace but one almost expects Teddy Roosevelt or famous oil magnets of lore to saunter in an sit down beside you. If you see Mike (big guy, balding, big glasses and cigar in hand) sit down and strike up a conversation. He has been coming to the brown weekly since 1977. An interesting guy, he can tell you more than you want to know.

It was only a few hours but The Brown was amazing. Next time I am in perhaps I will pass on the free stay with friends, get a room at The Brown. *tips hat to The Brown Palace*

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
It gave us great pleasure to read your recount of your recent visit to The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa and our famous Churchill Bar. The atmosphere of Churchill is truly unlike any other and seems to channel an entirely different era. We are glad to know one of our loyal patrons was able to share their own personal insight and experiences with you!

We do hope you will consider staying longer on your next visit and enjoying many more of the fine amenities and services The Brown has to offer. Thank you for your kind review and we look forward to serving you and your friends again soon!
Nice, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed here for a night in November when I planned to be downtown late, didn't want to drive home and wanted to pamper myself after a month of really hard work. Boy, did the Brown Palace ever deliver on that last count. Most of the other hotels in Denver were sold out that night for some reason, but I snagged what seemed like a pretty reasonable rate on their website and was excited to stay at a Denver landmark I'd only visited for afternoon tea (which is awesome, by the way).

The service was excellent from start to finish. The valet who took my car and the bellhop who took my bag were friendly and welcoming, and I got an amazing surprise at check-in: I was upgraded to a suite on the top floor that must go for several times what I paid. When I arrived in the spacious, fabulously appointed room, there was fresh ice waiting for me in the ice bucket (perfect, as I'd brought a bottle of Champagne and needed to chill it) and soothing classical music playing softly on the radio. The marble-floored bathroom boasted a separate shower and bathtub. There were large flat-screen TVs in both the bedroom and the office.

I stopped in the Ship Tavern just before the kitchen closed for some truffle fries (HUGE portion, and delicious) and a pear martini with Champagne (OMG). Service there was impeccable as well. I didn't order room service, but I took a look at the menu and the prices were surprisingly reasonable given the caliber of the hotel. After a wonderful night's sleep in the comfortable bed, I headed down to Ellyngton's for breakfast. The entire staff there was terrific, and very understanding of my gluten-free needs. I include mentions of these restaurants in the review of the hotel because I think it's important to note that the top-notch service extends to the dining establishments within the hotel as well.

Checkout was a breeze and the valet fetched my car very quickly. I was sad to leave, but very, very happy that I'd chosen to stay at Denver's most storied hotel. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a true taste of Denver, whether you're a local or just passing through -- even for one night. It's worth the splurge!

Room Tip: Suites offer a separate office, which is very helpful for the business traveler who plans to spend a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
We are delighted to know your overnight stay with us was both pampering and memorable from start to finish.

We are grateful for your kind words regarding your spacious accommodation, the fine food in Ship Tavern and Ellyngton's, and most importantly, the gracious service you received from all of our staff.

We hope you will spoil yourself again soon for some well-deserved five-star treatment at The Brown!
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The grandness of the hotel begins as soon as you enter. You can look all the way up to the stained glass ceiling and the higher floors are exposed. Around lunchtime, piano music plays during tea and is very peaceful. My room was perfect, the shower felt luxurious. The man who brought up my luggage was so helpful and kind. The bed was turned down every night and I found the room to be immaculate. I felt like royalty the entire time I stayed. Would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for sharing your gracious review. We are very happy to know our staff made you feel like true royalty during your stay and that you appreciated the fine architecture and overall ambience of the hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again!
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

A stay at the Brown Palace is the opportunity to experience Denver at its best. It is at once opulent and historical (a rare combination) updated to today's mod-cons, a whiff of the real Wild West which Denver helped to shape in being the Queen City of the Plains for 140 years, and the standard of quiet 5* service in a city overrun with chain hotels and the anonymous overpriced lack that accompanies them. Like other great 5* historic hotels in the US, the Brown offers sometimes quirky concierge service, meat and potatoes fare (but the best of cuts), and a memory of your personal likes and dislikes. A dinner at the Ship's Tavern offers great Prime Rib and a chance to muse what great cattle, oil or mining deals were accomplished with a nod and a handshake over the past 100 years; if only the oak-lined walls could speak. Tea in the lobby with requisite music is always sold out despite somewhat tired sandwiches, but also a rite of passage for future debs still in dresses with tiered layers of tuille. If anything threatens the Brown and its place as The Place to stay or eat, it's a new trend toward accommodating jeans rather than maintaining the charm of required coat, tie and suitable dress for an evening out. Dress up and enjoy the night out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
I don't think even we could have described our hotel any better!

We are honored to be an iconic landmark in Denver and appreciate your recognition of our role in history, as well as our current place in time offering our guests pampering five-star service with a touch of old world charm.

We hope you will grace us with your presence again soon!
Columbus, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights. We had a delicious dinner at the Ship Tavern. Chef Nick really knows how to prepare the bone in ribeye. It made Thankgsgiving meal seem anticlimatic. The girls in the coffee shop were very friendly and helpful, and it was nice to get a good cup of coffee without having to go out into the cold. Also, James, who was the doorman when we left was especially helpful. We had two extra passengers and their baggage when we left for the mountains, and I couldn't see any way to get everything into the car. He took his time and fit it all together so that no one had to sit on a suitcase! Also, the Christmas decorations were unbelievable. We watched them put together and raise a 4,000 lb chandelier. All in all it was a comfortable and relaxing stay.

Room Tip: King sweet on 5th floor with downtown view. Very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
The holiday season here at The Brown Palace is a truly magical time of the year when the Atrium Lobby is transformed into a breathtaking display of holiday lights and festive decor. We are delighted to know you were able to visit us during this special time and take in the ambience of the season.

It also gave us great pleasure to read that your stay was made all the more memorable due in part to Chef Nick's culinary expertise, as well as James professional luggage service. We look forward to sharing your generous remarks with both of them, as well as the ladies in our Coffee Shop.

We hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back very soon!
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The Brown Palace is an excellent, historical hotel in the heart of downtown Denver. Whenever my parents come to visit me, they always stay here and love the friendly, attentive staff and the classy atmosphere. Be sure to check out Afternoon Tea, where Ben, Afternoon Tea Director, does a great job making you feel at home. This hotel has so much history, and is a great place to visit if you are looking to truly get a feel of the great city of Denver.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
We are very happy to read that Ben has made you and your parents feel at home here at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa during your visits.

On behalf of Ben and all of us here at The Brown Palace, we hope to see all of you again very soon!