“Good Deal in Denver” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 148 Hotels in Denver
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Good Deal in Denver”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

After 10 days in this location, I can provide a honest review of the hotel. First I like the convenience of location, the hotel is about 15 minutes drive from the DIA, main Airport in Denver.
Once leaving the airport, if you drive, Pena Boulevard connect smooth with I-70. Taking the West bound direction, I-70 take you to Quebec St. in matter of few minutes. Turning left on Quebec St. you need to stay on the far right lane, the hotel is on your right, two minutes away from I-70.
In order to pull on the parking lot, you need to drive pass the hotel and make a sharp right turn on front of the "Mariposa Restaurant".
The hotel show some signs of age, if you can deal with that you will be fine. My room has two small windows to the back of the property, one of the latches was broken, but there's a wood fence on the back, so I don't lost my sleep.
The room was clean on arrival, the A/C initially don't work well, but after a call, somebody took care and the air was fresh and cool. Nothing was broken, all lights were fine, except for the desk that have one "weak" leg. A small fridge and micro make your stay more comfy. A flat screen TV is in each room. The bathroom was good, and pack with towels, The queen size bed was not the best, but I don't have complaints. At nights I heard like a vent noise from next room, but anyway I fall sleep. A shopping center is just across the hotel, you can walk, just be careful with the traffic. If you need a supermarket don't go across, instead drive to your right, as the traffic flow, be careful with the traffic coming from your left. Drive to the 29th St. (3 minutes from the hotel) the market will be on your left on 29th .
After passing the 29th St. you will drive for about 10 minutes, and you will find Colfax Av. the longest in the US (26 miles) here you can find almost all kind of stores. If drive, remember that in Colorado pedestrians have the right to pass, so give them "a brake".
The core Downtown center of Denver is only about 15 minutes from the hotel, this mean the famous 16th St. Mall, the City Park (Zoo and Nature-Science Museum) the Capitol (getting more gold on the dome!)
If you're not familiar driving in Denver, use Colfax as reference to the hotel, Colfax run West-East, and Quebec go North South ( Diagonal streets in downtown go crazy!)
Breakfast on the second floor was very basic, with eggs and waffles as main food, with breads, juices and coffee.
Over all, the location of this hotel is the major advantage of staying there. Staff is friendly and helpful. They have shuttle service to and from the airport .Last but no least, the hotel by been close to I-70, is convenient to other important highways as the 225 and I-25. Tourist info is available on the lobby, as also a small room with two computers to use free of charge.

Room Tip: rooms on the west side, back of hotel, are more quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Tiffany G, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Denver Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Hello and thank you for your wonderful responds, I couldn’t have stated something better myself. You are correct when saying we are an older hotel, but at the same time we are making many changes to upgrade the building as well as the décor. We are excited to see guest responds and comments on the hotel. I hope to see you back soon !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Hood River, Oregon, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My monthly business trips to Denver can be exhausting at times, but I continue to look forward to staying at the Best Western Plus Denver Hotel. The friendly staff, and helpful manager-- along with a full breakfast --all contribute to an enjoyable stay. The rooms are spacious and the beds are nice and comfy. It's the perfect place to recharge batteries after a long work day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Tiffany G, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Denver Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Hello thank you for your wonderful review
Please feel free to come again, and again to recharge we will be here for you. Our managers are here to help 24 hours a day even when we are not at the hotel. We enjoy making our guest feel great each and every time they stay here with us. Know we are always here to help thank you and hope to see you soon!
Nevada City, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

its was better the expected hotel, friendly staff, breakfast help with many items,
i will stay again when i return to Denver.
I wish the pool was open but its was cold in denver when we arrived.
super shuttle to hotel and super shuttle back from hotel

Room Tip: near Zoo, museum, downtown easy cap ride, northfield mall.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello and thank you very much for your responds.
I am glad to hear we have exceeded your expectations here at the hotel. Our staff is very caring and friendly, they understand the value of our guest, and try to ensure each guest has a great stay. Please come back and see us when you are in the area we would love to have you back
STL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I went to Denver for an extended weekend getaway trip. This hotel was part of a priceline pkg deal & overall I was satisfied with my stay there.

Pros - The staff were all friendly, the breakfast was decent, the room was clean and comfortable, there's an outdoor pool (so it was closed during my stay), it has a small business center room (computer access), and a small fitness room which actually had more than just a couple treadmills! there is a multipurpose weight machine too. The location is near the interstate & across a multi-lane road is a complex full of shopping and dining options.

Cons - The cardio equipment in the fitness room - treadmill, elliptical, and bicycle machines - all felt clunky or were out of order. In fairness, I believe the treadmill had only been broken since the day before but the other two pieces still felt like they were clunky and not functioning properly. The bldg felt very warm.. especially the hallways. I noticed other guests make the same observation. The AC unit in my room worked but I had it set to auto. When the cooling cycle kicked on, it was very loud. I saw a sign stating that they were ceasing shuttle service beginning in April 2013. While I did not need to use the service, it's one of those things that can be very useful to potential guests. Cutting services has become the norm in all areas of business and government lately. While it is understandable in many cases, it still sucks.

The main question... would I stay at this hotel again? The answer is yes. It was reasonably priced, especially for my pkg deal (flight, hotel, car rental), conveniently located, and most important to me, my room was clean.

Also, there is a restaurant next to it called La Mariposa. I asked some locals about that place since I tend to be a little skeptical about restaurants connected to hotels. I'm not sure why but I am. Anyway, I was told to avoid it. The food supposedly tastes good but they've heard of several people getting sick there and that the place had been close a few months ago for E. coli. For close dining, go across Quebec St

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Tiffany G, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Denver Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Hello and thank you so much for you responds
Our pool opening May 29 this year because it is an outdoor pool we can not open until weather permits. I know we have had some wonderful days lately but the weather forecast is still predicting snow, so we have to wait. Our fitness center does have older equipment but it is working at this time, and we are in the process of upgrading the fitness center as a hole. You comments mean a lot to us and help to keep us always looking to improve please come back and see us again! Thank you so much for your stay!
Bonner Springs, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

In our choice of this hotel, we were looking for a particular location, wanting to be nearest to where our daughter was working. This hotel not only met that criteria, but was also within walking distance of a major shopping center with numerous choices for restaurants, and best of all--a Walmart. So we could have given it 5 stars just for location. As far as the room itself--it was comfortable & clean, & housekeeping, the front desk, & the breakfast service were all top-notch. The only thing keeping it from a 5-star rating for us, was just the fact that it is an older hotel which, while it's been remodeled fairly recently, does show its years; the wifi was VERY slow; the tv station choices were very limited (ok, we're spoiled at home) which was disappointing since it was a blizzard outside & we were stuck inside. It was fairly quiet, although we were there during the big snowstorm "Virgil" in March & the airport closed, which filled our hotel with stranded passengers & kept the hallways noisy. The breakfast staff worked wonders with keeping all those hungry guests satisfied in the mornings, in spite of their supply truck not arriving when expected, & a guest who filled the belgian waffle maker with gravy (really, people??) instead of waffle batter which took it out of commission for the duration of the snowstorm.
All in all, we would definitely stay here again. It was clean, comfortable & a very good bargain thanks to Orbitz.

Room Tip: I would not have wanted a room on the 2nd floor, as that is where the coffee service, breakfast room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Tiffany G, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Denver Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! Our hotel is an older building but as you stated we have done a lot of remodeling, and are still in the process of making many more upgrades to the inside and outside of the building. We are in a wonderful location in regards to convenience we are surround malls, restaurants, stores of many kinds. Please come back and see us if you are in the area.
JOPLIN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed in Mid March. Temps that day were in 70's and when we walked onto elevator to 4th floor it was hot, got off on our floor which was hot and stuffy. Arrived at our room and it too was hot. Turned on air conditioner and room appeared to be cooking down. Left for dinner and when we returned our room was HOT although we'd left ac on 61 degrees. We spent a very uncomfortable night as did several others we talked to--many left doors open overnight to try and get air. When I mentioned during checkout with identical complaints from others checking out, all the clerk said was "really" and acted very surprised (although many guests asked for and got fans the night before). There was absolutely no apology or acknowledgment of the problem. Think twice before staying here in warm weather.

• Stayed March 2013
Hello and thank you for your responds,
Our hotel is an older building that has a central heating and cooling system, so It is sometimes hard to get a perfect temperature for all, and at this time the system is still on heat, because we are still getting snow. However each room the central air can be turned off, up, or down, and if they would like cold air we have cooling units in every room which can be adjusted to any temperature the guest likes hot or cold. So please come try us again we can make the room whichever temperature is comfortable for you!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Denver Hotel? Share your experiences!