“Dirty underwear in bed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 149 Hotels in Denver
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Dirty underwear in bed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Upon arrival in my room, I always check for bed bugs and while I was happy that I didn't find any of those, I did find two pairs of dirty men's underwear between the mattress and box spring. While the staff I told was nice enough, they only said a casual "I'm sorry". They didn't ask what room I was in, or anything, so that they could follow up with the housekeeping staff. I expect a higher standard from the Marriott brand. The room was run down with paint chipping on the bathroom door.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Steve A, Director of Sales at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for the feedback and your recent stay our hotel! The Marriott’s housekeeping staff is trained to collect any items left in the room and send to lost and found. Depending on where between the mattress and box spring these items were placed could have resulted in our staff missing them. Typically, this is not an area where things are left behind. With that, we will remind the team to ask more qualifying questions rather than just apologizing. As far as the bathroom door goes, we have found some recent paint chips and our Engineering Team will put this on their list of things to audit in all of our guest rooms. The next time your travels take you to Denver I encourage you to give us a second chance! Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights and to be honest the only negative was that we were only there for 3 nights. From the very friendly front desk to the wait staff to the valet to Teodosia the cleaner, everyone was top notch. The room was perfect - quiet, well appointed, clean, top quality furnishings - the one thing missing was a mini fridge. The room was quiet from all the sounds of the city & didn't even hear the thunderstorm. The pool was refreshing, I don't think its heated but was perfect for the hot weather. The restaurant for breakfast was well stocked with plenty of options from pastry, to breads, to hot & cold cereals & dairy. The hot foods were plentiful and good as well they had a chef to make your own personal omelet, waffle or pancakes. Valet was fast & efficient moving the cars & having them ready when promised. A great location for people going to any sporting event in Denver or to just explore the city. It was a perfect stay, but it is also a Marriott something you expect. Would definitely recommend & stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for letting us know about your stay. I will share this note at our staff meeting this week!
Fairfield, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed here as part of a city-wide convention. The hotel is located about 4 blocks from the convention center and one block from the 16th Street Mall. Yes, there was construction in the plaza next to the hotel, which got to be annoying because it was difficult navigating through it.

The staff was efficient when I checked in and explained where the restaurants were located (Lower Level) and when they were open. Because I'm a platinum member, I received access to the concierge lounge. Like most US hotels, the lounge was closed Friday afternoon to Monday morning. However, I was offered vouchers for breakfast at Allie's (their restaurant) or I could take the points instead. That was a great gesture and I hope that all Marriott properties in the US take up this practice.

Anyway, my room was on the 11th floor facing the construction. I was high enough that the noise didn't bother me. It was a typical, recently renovated Marriott room, with comfortable bedding, a nice work area, and smallish bathroom. the work area had several outlets so it was easy to plug in my phones, laptop, etc. without having to unplug half the lamps in the room. The room was clean and comfortable and housekeeping was efficient and thorough.

The restaurant and bar featured the typical Marriott fare and service was good.

The business center is located on the Lower Level and you access it via your room key. It's a pay-for-play deal with work stations and a printer. I believe you have to go to the front desk to have something faxed. Still, it was a basic business center.

There are a few drawbacks, though. The pickup/drop off area is constantly crowded, so you have to wade through cars to get to California Street, where the taxis are lined up. If your hauling luggage and the bell staff is overwhelmed, this can be problematic.

The bar area gets *really* loud when there is a convention in town and service can be sluggish.

However, it's a good hotel and I'm likely to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sacramento, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was at this hotel for three nights. Room was big, price was much less than comparable hotels in area and the location terrific. Walk to Coors field easy at about a little more than a mile. I would stay here again as a single traveler or with family.

• Stayed June 2013
South Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

The organization I work for just held its annual conference here. The staff was super attentive, and was great when some of my "diva" coworkers got a bit ridiculous/demanding. I'm sure they were glad when our group left!

For the most part, it looked and was clean. But I did have the fruity water they offer in their conference area and found a bit of dirt in my glass, which grossed me out. The Starbucks is very convenient, and we spend several nights enjoying the bar. It was great to drink and get late night snacks there.

The rooms were mediocre. Super small, especially the bathrooms. The view from my room was horrible, as there was construction going on and my room overlooked it. The hotel is centrally located, which is definitely one plus.

It's a business hotel, yet there is no free wi-fi in the rooms, and the one in the lobby and conference area is spotty. Guests at the conference were constantly complaining.

All in all, it's good for business, but I would not stay there on my own dime.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
I really appreciate your comments about our “super attentive” staff. We strive to have excellent customer service as we know you have many options. Regarding the dirt in your glass from the fruit infused water, I would agree with you about that being disgusting. I will pass this on to our banquet staff who manages the water each day. This is the first I’ve heard of this so it’s definitely not a reoccurring issue. Most people really enjoy having this free option down in the meeting room level. We just got funding for an internet upgrade throughout our hotel so the bandwidth capability will be much enhanced. Please come back and see us again! Steve
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the shower had strong water pressure and very hot water. Starbucks in the lobby for a quick coffee and muffin, or a reasonably priced breakfast is available in the restaurant on the lower level. There is also good food available at the bar.
There are many tourist attractions within walking distance - the Denver tourism office is very nearby and they were incredibly friendly and helpful.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

What can i say - its a big chain hotel and as such you get what you expect. It is clean and tidy, rooms are clean with comfortable bedding. I wouldnt stay here on vacation personally (this was a business trip) as i prefer something a bit more trendy/boutique but it is a pleasant enough hotel.

Rooms are a decent size (i was on the executive floors) but was rather dark. There is no minibar/fridge which is a bit disappointing. The bathroom as other guests have stated is tiny.

Location-wise it sits just 2 blocks from 16th st mall (the shops/bars) so is well positioned to take advantage of that.

The staff are super-helpful and friendly; more so than you normally get in a chain hotel so well done!

Room Tip: The club lounge which you get when on the executive floors (15/16/17) has a wonderful breakfast (tha...