“OK but not great” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“OK but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

The good is that the rooms are nice, with a good shower and a comfortable bed. Very centrally located, with the slightly odd arrangement that the conference rooms are on the 2nd and 38th floors of the building opposite. It's not hugely inconvenient except if your meetings are split across the two and you have to shuttle back and forth between the two lift banks via the ground floor lobby.

The bad is two main areas, the F&B and the Internet. The restaurant is a bit of an afterthought and the food not of note, the breakfast buffet stops at 9:30am during the week which I found early. The selection is not particularly inspired and only passable in terms of range and taste. Lunch buffet is similarly disappointing but notably cheap at $11, although this is about its money in terms of value. Dinner is in line with the rest of the day's offerings.

The lobby bar is OK but a bit bright - I understand the constraints and needs of illumination in a main hotel lobby, but it reduces the atmosphere. On the positive, the drinks are a reasonably varied and interesting selection.

The Internet speed was poor throughout a six night stay. Oddly, halfway through it stopped offering a single "connect" button and instead started requiring last name, room number and email address, followed by an advertisement to pay more for faster internet. It also logs you out frequently and requires you to go through the whole connection rigmarole again, which is annoying.

I simply cannot understand, with the cost of Internet as low as it is anyway, why $200+ a night 4* hotels can't offer a decent internet experience. My experience with the standard Internet was so poor (Apple App Store timing out, images in web pages broken and requiring multiple page reloads, frequent VPN tunnel drops etc) that I had no confidence the more expensive option would be better. The enhanced service was $5 a night more, is it really worth annoying your guests for? I should not have to pay extra for an acceptable Internet connection, especially not in something called "grand."

In the odd category - where are we supposed to hang our towels? Ok, I can put my large towel on a hook in the shower (?!), where I can't use it from the sink unless I leave the shower doors open. If I want to hang a hand towel, there are just two hooks over the toilet - do I really want to use that? - all the way over the other side of the bathroom. Why? Hyatt must have a sizeable design staff to do the room layout, do they not use their own rooms?

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Magnolia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed staying at this hotel. Warm and inviting, I was greeted by the friendliest of folks upon arrival. The lobby has an amazing bar and the live music was music incredible. Not loud and obnoxious but tastefully upbeat and inviting. My room was a called a corner king and it was incredible. No noise and I felt as though I was the only one on the entire floor. The cleaning staff was professional and so courteous and took care of the room quickly for me. I will return to this location no doubt in the future.

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

To celebrate a VERY big birthday for my DH we moseyed on down to Denver and stayed at the Grand Hyatt. While check in was not until 3 PM we arrived at the hotel at 1 PM yesterday(January 24) and our room was ready. We were on the 17th floor and had a king size bed.......392 sq.ft.....and the bathroom had a tub. When I made the reservation, I was told there were no tubs.(????). Betzabe checked us in and was a delight.
We were impressed with the room..........the cleanliness of the room/hotel........the location of the hotel.......and the friendliness of the staff at all times.
We did NOT use the valet parking. There is a garage just across the street....and while i admit it is NOT easy to figure out what the price will be at this place or anywhere else in town.......when we checked out of the garage this morning the price for Saturday and Sunday is $5/day and so our $10 WAS correct. We could have stayed all day today for the same $10.

It's only a block and a half to the free mall ride.....and people watching at Union Station was fun.

We did not eat/dine at the hotel....altho the coffee pot and coffee provided in the room was delish and a plus.

When we came back after dinner last night there was a performer in the Bar and we enjoyed that for a while.

We did not hear ANY noise that has been mentioned and when we checked out the pool the water was perfect temperature.

We WILL go back to the Grand Hyatt Denver. Try it.........you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: I asked not to be near the elevator. I asked to be on a higher floor. Room 1717 fit the bill. Our...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This downtown hotel is beautiful and the service is excellent but don't stay here if you want a quiet night. Even though we were on the 25th floor, we heard crazy loud sirens just about every hour overnight driving through the city. Not sure why the hotel would be so loud as I have stayed in several NYC hotels and even airport hotels where the city/plane noise was muted by the windows. The club service is great and staff was very nice but we won't stay here again on our stopover to the mountains just do to the noise overnight.

Room Tip: splurge for club level- it has an amazing view and great snacks and the breakfast is enough for the...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here after trailing on the California Zephyr. Picked this hotel fairly randomly but what a star! Stylish, comfortable, classy - we loved it from the minute we arrived, and this hotel is setting the standard for the new look Hyatt brand.
The reception and bar staff show what it means to be casual but professional - knowledgeable and accommodating. The amazing bar area int he lobby has excellent well priced "bar snacks" well above what you would expect - sophisticated, gourmet delights.The two rooms we booked were spacious, stylish, all mod cons, motion señsor lights, just lovely.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I recently stayed at the hotel for a business function. Located right in downtown Denver. The staff are very friendly. The lobby bar has a better than average wine selection as well as an interesting drink menu. Rooms are clean, but what you would expect. Shower a bit better than the usual. The view, nothing special.

Room Tip: Pick an upper floor, very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Carrington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed with my husband here and we both really liked this hotel. The rooms and hotel were both clean. We never used the restaurant but enjoyed the bar. Great location as it is very close to shopping, bars and restaurants on the 16th street mall. Would stay here again!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hyatt Denver Downtown? Share your experiences!