“Overpriced for the quality” 2 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #61 of 149 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Eastern Oregon
“Overpriced for the quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed 5 nights for a business convention located there. We stayed in the Plaza on the top floor. The location is great, lots of restaurants and other businesses within walking distance, with 16th street walking plaza next door. The hotel restaurants and bars were ok. Rooms and public areas are clean and furnished nicely.

Our biggest issue was with maintenance issues. First off the shower/tub handle fell off and narrowly missed my feet when showering. We couldn't get hot water, only lukewarm in the afternoon/evenings. Mornings were fine. The dressing room and bathroom were a "black hole" in the night so we left the bathroom light on all night. A night light would have been very nice. And the hallways were pretty smelly at times. This is not the level of quality we would expect for the price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SheratonDenverGM, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Thutchis
Thanks for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit. I share your disappointment and apologize that the hallway had an unpleasant odor, and that you experienced problems with your shower hardware as well as hot water. We did experience a valve failure that resulted in disruption in our hot water service, and it took far longer than we hoped to get the water temperature back in balance. I’m pleased that you enjoyed our Make A Green Choice program in support of our social responsibility goal of reducing water and chemical consumption. On your next visit, please do not hesitate to contact our housekeeping department; we will be happy to provide a night light for your convenience. I hope you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves on your next visit to Denver. Warm regards, Marc Messina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Was placed in the tower rooms above the convention center. Certainly not ideal. Room was older, small and dark. The walls are paper thin and there was mold in the bathroom. TV didn't work half the time. If you have to stay here your best bet is in the other tower. I have stayed there before and had good luck.

Room Tip: Don't let them place you above the convention area.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SheratonDenverGM, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear lorarose,
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am sorry that you experienced multiple problems with TV, cleanliness and noise in your guest room. It is unacceptable that everything was not properly prepared and in working order. I am glad that you have had positive visits with us in the past and hope you will give us an opportunity to regain your confidence on your next visit. Please let our reception agent know of your preference for a Plaza building room and we will do everything possible to accommodate your request. Warm regards, Elisabeth James,
Laramie, Wyoming
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My best friend and I had spent the week in Denver and thought our last night should be spent on the strip, so we booked the Sheraton hotel for its location and luxury!

This Sheraton is located right downotwn Denver in the middle of the 16th street mall scene. Upon arrival we were threatened to be towed by the obviously stressed out valet staff, so we were unable to check in before finding the parking. This made absolutely no scene, considering the Sheraton does not have parking in the same area as their hotel, so being able to check in would have given us direction on where we could/could not park. They have a pull around for people to idle their vehicle at check in, but the valet clearly does not accept this logical concept.

Next, we entered our hotel room on a timeline. We were scheduled to get to dinner at a specific time for a celebration, so we planned on showering and getting ready. As soon as I got into the shower the shower clearly began to fill with water and not drain. I reached down to fix the drain because the metal plug looked off kilt, only to feel slime. I jumped out of the shower and tried to wash my hands off in the sink only to find that the sink also was not draining.

I called downstairs and the front desk told me to stay there and wait for their engineer team (aka plumbers). It took the plumber 25 minutes to get to the room, only to determine that he needed an extra hand to fix the problem. However, when he returned to the room 30 minutes later, he was alone. At this point, my friend made a decision that she would just plan on not showering so we wouldn't be late to our reservations. When the second plumber arrived, he just walked in the room without knocking, which caused the two plumbers to begin bickering about knocking on doors before entering. It was awkward enough we then made the decision not to leave the room until they had finished their job because we did not feel comfortable leaving the room with them there. While the plumbers were still there the front desk called to check on the progress, I expressed my concerns and explained we were going to miss our reservations over this and instead of suggesting a different room for the night or anything of this nature, they simply said, "sorry this is happening".

After an hour we were able to leave but noticed the plumbers left our bathroom pretty sloppy so we stopped at the front desk to ask if they could send housekeeping up to tidy just the bathroom. The girl at the front desk simply said "sure".....I had to ask her if she needed our room number so she could send someone up and her reply was again, "SURE"....so I simply said "we've already missed our reservations and will be dining in a new location because of this inconvenience, please send housekeeping to 481 so we can shower in a clean bathroom when we get back". She just looked at me. The biggest kicker is that when we returned from dinner around 10pm, no housekeeping had been done......

I feel horrible for the manager because he has terrible staff to attempt to train properly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear NikkiFobes4,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. I know you have been working directly with Chuck Schuringa, our hotel manager, to resolve your concerns. I would like to add my apologies that you experienced so many difficulties during your visit, but more importantly that you felt we were not sincerely concerned. All of our associates work hard to connect with every guest and to provide personalized service; clearly we failed to do so in this situation. I hope you will give us an opportunity to regain your confidence in us on your next visit to Denver. Warm regards, Elisabeth James
Ottawa, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is a modern Sheraton located right downotwn Denver near everything. The room and hotel itself is very clean with modern Sheraton amenities. Nothing wrong with the room and building itself. Our issues were with service. There was a few issues during our stay (on and off wi-fi, the TV would not work and our room was not cleaned by housekeeping (mistakes happen)). I totally understand that issues can happen but the lack of empathy and help from management makes one wonder about their commitement to customer service. We only had an apology at check-out, which is nice but the issues and lack of response (at the time we needed it) makes me give this property, a 3 star or average review. We might have been not lucky.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonDenverGM, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear sens1992
Thanks for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay. I am so sorry to learn that you experienced problems with wi-fi, TV reception and housekeeping service but especially that you did not find our response to be empathetic and appropriate. As you said, it is the little things that make a difference. The Sheraton Denver Downtown team is committed to providing a warm and welcoming experience to every guest and clearly we did not do so in this situation. I hope you will provide us with an opportunity to redeem ourselves on your next visit to Denver. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Warm regards, Elisabeth James
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We booked this hotel for it's proximity to the 16th street mall and the heated roof top pool. After a long day, we went to the pool, anticipating a relaxing dip. The water was FREEZING! My family was extremely disappointed. Getting back to the room, I looked forward to a hot shower. Not the case, the water was lukewarm and brown. Upon check-in, we had been told that the hot water would be off from 11pm-5am. ( It was about 8:30 when I turned on the shower).
Even the next morning, we still didn't have hot water.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SheratonDenverGM, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear KimH,
Thanks for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am so sorry that you experienced problems with the hot water in your room. Unfortunately, as we completed our scheduled repairs, we experienced a major valve failure that further affected the hot water supply the next day. I apologize that you found the pool temperature too cool. Based on guest feedback, we will be increasing the temperature a few degrees and hope that will be more enjoyable for you. I hope you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves on your next visit to Denver. Warm regards, Elisabeth James
Cheyenne, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Upon arrival at the hotel, we were greeting by a very nice man named Fransisco who was friendly and easy to talk to. He had a smile on his face the entire time he helped us check in. He set tone for our entire weekend. Could not have asked for a better stay. I think it was even better than our first stay! Definitely will be returning to this hotel again :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
SheratonDenverGM, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Nicole,
Thanks for sharing your compliments regarding Francisco and the personal service he provide on your recent stay. Francisco has a special ability to connect with every guest he meets, and we recognize that we are fortunate to have him on our team. We look forward to your next visit! Warm regards, Elisabeth James
Indian Wells, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is a great hotel.. good conference facilities.. And the location is the best... the 16th street has so many things to do.. shopping, restaurants.. name it.... doorman, valet were great.. always attentive and ready to assist.. Front desk was a little tacky but ok...All & all worth staying there if in Denver.. definitely visit the restaurant in the lobby, the Yard house.. they have like 120 beers on tap.. amazing.. and great food too.. the hotel has two buildings.. the rooms in where the reception is are biiigg.. really bigger in size.. had a great time in denver...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SheratonDenverGM, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear honda11
Thanks for sharing your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us. I’m glad you were able to enjoy our unique location on the 16th Street Mall, and sample some of the fabulous food and world-class beer selection at the Yard House. Come back soon! Warm regards, Elisabeth James

Been to Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!