“The worst staff performance” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Central Denver

You added Quality Inn Central Denver to your Saves list
Quality Inn Central Denver
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 W 48th Ave, Denver, CO 80216 (Formerly Plaza Hotel)   |
Ranked #70 of 148 Hotels in Denver
Northvale, New Jersey
“The worst staff performance”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I could not check in on May 7, 2013, because their shuttle did not show up for almost 2 hours. They charged me and refused to refund.
I booked to check in on 5/7/13, and made an appointment for shuttle pick-up. A shuttle (small van) came after about an hour, but it was full so my sister and I could not fit in. The driver told us that the next shuttle will come in 10 minutes. After another hour of wait in the rain, I called the hotel, and Mariana at the reception told us to wait more. Due to the rain, temperature, and 30 hours of train ride right before that night, we were getting hypothermic and sick, so we searched for a different nearby hotel that had a vacancy. I called Quality Inn and asked Mariana at the reception if we can cancel our reservation and get refunded because we can no longer wait out in the rain. She transferred my call to her supervisor, who told me that she will take a note of our situation for HER supervisor to process the refund the next day, and told me to call back and ask for Steve. I called Quality Inn the next day, and spoke to Steve (Mariana’s supervisor’s supervisor), who insisted that he can't refund our money simply because we didn't show up. He told me that he will ask Mariana and investigate this and get back to me the next day, but they did not respond until I had to file a complaint with Better Business Bureau. Yet, Steve’s response is a 25% refund. I cannot accept this as a resolution. It is very unprofessional for them to make us wait in the rain for almost 2 hours, and cancel our reservation yet refuse to refund us for the night we could not stay due to their issues. First, they lied to me about the shuttle schedule, second, they (Mariana’s supervisor) lied to me about it being okay to cancel my reservation and falsely promised a refund if I speak to a different supervisor Steve, third, they lied to me about investigating this and getting back to me with a resolution, and finally, they unjustifiably took my money for the night I did not stay. This isn’t simply a complaint about their shuttle service or a refund for the cancellation, but a complaint about their staff performance in general and a compensation for their misleading, unprofessional and fickle way of treating their customers. My VISA card was charged $106.32 on May 1, 2013 and I want a full refund.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MICHAEL P, Manager at Quality Inn Central Denver, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and deeply regret that you were unable to stay with us on May 7th.

Like most hotels you have 24 hours to cancel your reservation, otherwise we are obligated to keep your reservation until 7 am, and if you have not shown up, we charge a NO SHOW charge according to hotel industry standards.

Our 3 complimentary shuttles operate non-stop for dropping off and picking up from downtown Denver and surrounding areas. We have a great reputation when it comes to taking care of our guests. Please make your next reservation with us and we guarantee that you will be given special discount consideration. Please contact our General Manager if you have any more questions.

We look forward to seeing you here soon, so you can enjoy the numerous benefits we offer such as free full hot breakfast, free shuttle within 5 mile radius of the hotel, free high speed Wi-Fi, free
access to our outdoor swimming pool, free access to the fitness room, plus great service that everyone is speaking about. We also boast the best Trip Advisor excellence in hotel service the last two years in a row.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I was stranded in Denver having booked another hotel online sight unseen. I ran away from the place as quickly as I could. Luckily I spotted a shuttle going to the Quality Inn in Central Denver. Kelly, the driver was kind enough to call ahead and I arrived to find Ivy had already taken care of the booking. During my stay I was helped by Daniel, Amanda, Nancy and last but not least Steve who is one of the managers. There's a sincere vibe that comes across in the way they go about making their guests feel at home. I couldn't have possibly asked for more in regards to their kindness and courtesy. I ran into some personal problems while there and they helped me in every way they could. I definitely recommend this hotel. In my opinion Quality Inn scores the highest in all aspects of their niche in the industry but again, it's all about people like Ivy that make it speciaL I'm grateful to have met them all and look forward to my next stay. Next time I'll bring the wife and kids.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor with a wonderful view of the Rockies.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MICHAEL P, Manager at Quality Inn Central Denver, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
We appreciate your review concerning your recent stay at our hotel. We are glad that you spotted our van and decided to stay with us. We were very happy to see that our staff did such a good job for you, and we are glad that they all did a great job in helping you. We do hope that you had an opportunity to have our complimentary full hot breakfast, as we feel that it is excellent. We do look forward to your next visit with us, and I am sure your wife and kids will enjoy it as much as you did.
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I recently stayed at the Quality Inn Central Denver for one night because all other hotels were booked in and around downtown. Thankfully we had other options for the rest of this trip. Let me start with the positives. The staff at check-in and check-out were very friendly and helpful. And it is a quick cab ride to downtown. And that is where the positives end. This hotel needs a facelift in a terrible way. The lobby is small and out of date with only a handful of places to sit. The room we stayed in smelled bad. It had horribly old carpet with stains. The comforter was scratchy and looked about 10 years old. The windows were filthy and so old that the freeway noise poured in. Breakfast selection was mediocre at best. Our toilet didn't flush properly. And to top it all off, the shower had no hot water...at night or in the morning. We brought this to the attention of the manager and he lowered our bill for us. Still, I would not recommend this hotel and will never stay here again. There are many other good options in Denver.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MICHAEL P, Manager at Quality Inn Central Denver, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your review concerning your recent stay at our hotel. The management staff of this hotel continues to rennovate this hotel. Most of our rooms have been upgraded and we continue to rennovate every day. We recently upgraded our wifi system throughout the hotel, and we have installed newer t.v.'s in the majority of the rooms. We are happy that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. Some guests do use cabs to get downtown, but the majority take
advantage of our free shuttle service to Downtown Denver and the surrounding 5 mile area. We do hope that this was explained to you at check-in. We were also surprised that you were not satisfied with the complimentary full hot breakfast, as we always get very good compliments on our breakfast and we also feel that it is excellent. We feel that if given another opportunity to serve you that we can prove ourselves, and convince you that we deserve your business.
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We were originally booked for the Quality Inn at the airport. We looked a little further out (aprx 30min) and found this hotel. Service was good the breakfast was welcomed. We arrived at about 8pm and the woman running the restaurant fixed us up with a nice sandwich. It hit the spot after a long trip.

Room was nice, no complaints.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your review concerning your recent stay at our hotel. We value our guests reviews, and were glad to see that everything was fine. We are happy that the room was nice and the service was good. We were also happy that the restaurant was able to fix you up with a good sandwich as I am sure you were hungry since it was past 8:00 p.m. when you checked in. It was also good to see that you enjoyed our complimentary full hot breakfast as we feel that it excellent. On your next visit, perhaps you will also be able to use our free shuttle service to downtown Denver and the surrounding area. We look forward to your next visit with us from Ontario, Canada.
Vienna
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed at the Quality Inn Central Denver for one night.

This hotel has certainly seen better times and would desperately need a refurbishment.

We had a queen room facing Denver downtown. You can hear the traffic on the freeway 24/7 which is really annoying. The carpets had lots of stains, the furniture looked really old and worn and the ceiling had dirt spots.

Not what you would expect for a rate of USD 100.00 per night!

Based on these circumstances, we would certainly NOT stay here again.

On the positive side, however, the staff was very friendly and welcoming. Unfortunately that could not prevent the bitter taste we acquired during our stay.

• Stayed May 2013
MICHAEL P, Manager at Quality Inn Central Denver, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your review concerning your recent stay at our hotel. The management staff of this hotel is constantly working on upgrading the hotel, and the majority of the rooms have already been completed. We do not see that you discussed the room or the noise with any member of management. We would have done whatever we could, including changing your room had we known about it. We do appreciate that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We also hope that you had a chance to try the complimentary full hot breakfast as we feel that it is excellent. We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future, so that we can show you that we are a great hotel to stay at in Denver.
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We flew to Denver from NY on May2nd and had an amazing stay at Quality Inn. My fiance and I were going to meet his birth family for the first time and chose this hotel to stay. The rooms were great and we had an amazing view. We were there early and our room was not ready. Steve Budson "Office Manager" made sure we were able to check in early and was very friendly. We loved the staff and Steve remembered us by name which is unheard of. The breakfast was hot and sooo good!! We will definitely stay again next time we travel to Denver!! Excellent service by all! Thank You Quality Inn for making our stay so nice.Keep up the great work Steve and staff!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 919 which is a smoking room. We had a great view of the city and rockies!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MICHAEL P, Manager at Quality Inn Central Denver, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for your review concerning your recent stay at our hotel.We certainly hope that you had a great stay in Denver on your visit from Syracuse, New York. We are glad that Steve was
able to take care of you so quickly and that the rest of the staff also did a good job for you. It is nice to see that you enjoyed the room and the view of Denver and the Rockies. We were also happy that you enjoyed our hot, full complimentary breakfast as we feel it is excellent. I hope that you able to use our free shuttle service to downtown Denver and the surrounding area and enjoy a little sightseeing. We hope that you also had a great time when you and your fiance met his birth family for the first time. We look forward to your next visit with us, hopefully in the near future.
Frederick, Maryland, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed 3 nights for $80/nt incl all taxes. I have mixed feelings. The location is right off 70W/25N, which is great if you're traveling through. But it's an industrial area with only a Village Inn next door, which closes at 3. The hotel, though, does have a restaurant. The hotel offers a free shuttle to many area attractions, but not the airport. Staying here, then, necessitates a car unless you want to feel stranded.

Staff is very helpful. Even though the rooms do not come with microwaves, a night staff person happily heated my microwavable dinner in the staff kitchen.

The hotel is old, but they are trying to update with a welcoming lobby, gorgeous elevators (!!), and nice carpeting. Our room was quiet with 2 beds, armoire, table/2 chairs, easy chair, and vanity area with coffee maker. The extra vanity with mirror was nice, even without a sink. The bathroom was dated with a cracked sink and cracked tiles, but everything worked fine. Everything was kept very clean.

Wifi is spotty. Sometimes it worked; one night we could not get anything, but the next morning, it was fine. If you must have access, two computers are off the lobby with limited free printing.

The free breakfast was the best we've ever had. Served in the restaurant, the area is large. Eggs, bacon, tortillas and refried beans, biscuits/gravy, real oatmeal (not packets), cold cereals, breads and pastries, fresh fruit mixture, and waffle maker. Negatives: only orange juice and only whole milk.

Could you do better in Denver? Most likely, but you'd pay more. We were not dissatisfied. It's just that the $80 was on the high side for our exclusively ChoiceHotel 10-day vacation in Colo/Utah.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MICHAEL P, Manager at Quality Inn Central Denver, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your review concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I hope that you enjoyed you 10 day vacation from Maryland to Colorado and Utah. There is a lot of beautiful scenery to see in these two states. You are correct that we do not offer shuttle service to the airport, but our free
shuttle is very helpful if you are going within a five mile radius of the hotel, including downtown Denver, The State Capitol, The zoo, the Denver Mint, most sports venues, and great shopping. I appreciate the nice comments about the rooms and our staff being very helpful. We were surprised to see the comment about the wifi service because we just finished upgrading the entire system. I hope that you discussed this with a member of management during your stay, so that we would have had a better opportunity to correct this for you. We also appreciated that you felt our breakfast was the best that you have ever had, because we also feel that our
complimentary full hot breakfast is excellent. We do look forward to our next opportunity to serve you, and I believe we will do the best job possible so that we can earn a far better rating than 3.5 from you. Again, Thank you and we appreciate your business.

Been to Quality Inn Central Denver? Share your experiences!