“Good hotel for a business trip” 4 of 5 stars

The Timbers Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4411 Peoria St., Denver, CO 80239-4817   |
Ranked #85 of 149 Hotels in Denver
Maryland
“Good hotel for a business trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Colleagues and I stayed here for a trip to Denver. Outside of the city, it's not really convenient to anything we needed, but the price was right. Breakfast was ample, the bed was comfortable, the service good, and located close to the highway so we could get around easily. Also close to the Arsenal Wildlife Refuge that I enjoyed running through in the morning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Springfield, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I recently stayed at the Timbers Hotel and it was the WORST experience I have ever had staying at a hotel. I have done my fair share of traveling and have NEVER in my life experienced such appalling service, if you even want to call what we received “service.”

OVERALL = BIG FAT F ( F x infinity)
This hotel is FALSELY advertised and no one honors his/her words. I understand now why the reviews are good because they are offering people a discount to write a positive review for their hotel. You get way below sub-par service at the Timbers Hotel and you will probably get better service at Motel 6 or Super 8.

MANAGEMENT = F-
A daily rate was negotiated when I made the reservation a few weeks prior to arrival. However, on the day of arrival, they told me I had to pay a higher rate than what was promised to me. After talking to the manager, Kelly Chandler , she promised that she would take care of the situation and give us the rate that we were promised. However, she never took care of the situation. The front desk charged me a higher rate on the day I left, so I had to call Kelly after I checked out to ask her to honor what was promised. Over the phone, Kelly accused me of being a “liar” and “trying to get additional discounts” when I called her to resolve the issue. How am I “trying to get additional discounts” when all I am asking is for her to honor the rate promised to us by her and her staff? When we were staying at the hotel, the manager Kelly agreed with us and apologized to us about how rude and disrespectful her staff was to us. She even gave us an EMPTY OFFER of an upgrade (she never honored that offer). Once we checked out, she did a complete 180 degree and changed tune and turned the situation around and call us “rude” over the phone after we had left already. When I asked how we were being rude, Kelly said she did not want to discuss the matter. I have never met a manager who tells guests that they are rude and refuse to discuss an issue with the guests. I suppose if you ask for them to honor their words and keep their promise, you are considered "rude." It is apparent that after Kelly got the money from us, customer service drops to the bottom of her totem pole, perhaps even beneath her totem pole. I question how someone this unprofessional can be a manager of a hotel. Staff members act accordingly to leadership and in this situation the lack of proper leadership. No wonder why her staff acts as if they can disrespect the guests any way they please.

FRONT DESK = F-
The front desk employees, Gigi and Josh, are the two most rude, ill-mannered, insolent, unprofessional, and disrespectful service employees I have ever encountered. They constantly roll their eyes at the guests, raise their voices at the guests, turn their backs on the guests, and gossip about the guests (while the guests are standing right there). While making my reservation, the front desk seemed nice and helpful. Do NOT let that fool you when you call in because it is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT story once you arrive. They act as if you are bothering them when you ask questions. Their sarcasm and unprofessionalism know no bound.

SHUTTLE = F -
We called to the front desk at 12:30 PM on the day of arrival and asked if they can take us at to the store to buy milk for a 2 year old. The front desk told us that they will call us back at 1:30 PM. We waited until 2:30 PM and still never received a call, so we decided to go down to the front desk. When we got down to the front desk, we were told that “their shifts are ending soon” and that they “can call us a taxi instead” or we have to wait until the next day. Why would you advertise that your hotel provides a shuttle service until 2 in the morning , only to tell us that you will “call us a taxi” before 3 PM instead? They make you feel as if you are inconveniencing them and that you are a charity case they are doing a favor for. We ended up having to rent a car just so we don’t have to deal with their attitudes.

I could probably go on and on about how unprofessional the manager and certain staff members are, however I would be writing a book. I hope this helps all the future travelers from the headache we have endured just by staying there. It is worth the extra little bit of money to stay somewhere else because at least you will receive respect and standard service.

Room Tip: Book with a different hotel!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stay at the timbers because of the suites. Having a living area with a full size table and kitchen and a separate bedroom works great for my family. My wife and I can put the kids to bed, relax and then in the morning have a cup of coffee. The breakfast is far better than most chains and Melissa at the front desk was very helpful in making sure we got the suite that works for my family.

• Stayed May 2013
Denver, Colorado, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Recently I accepted a position with a new company that required me to relocate from my life long home state of California.
Needless to say, I was an emotional wreck with nerves and anxiety.
I had to fly to Denver alone leaving all of my friends family and familiarities behind.
As I landed in Colorado, (agin, unfamiliar place that i had never visited prior) after an entire day of flying due to layovers and transfers,
I called the hotel I was going to be staying in to request a shuttle.
I was greeted from the other end of the phone by the front desk.
Right away the voice on the other end eased some of the nerves with such a warm greeting and friendly voice.
Once I arrived at the hotel, The Timbers. I was pleasently suprised to again hear the comforting welcome offered up by Melissa, the front desk hostess.
She had a huge smile and such a warm glow about her as she checked me in to my room. It made the transition that had worried me for such a long time that much easier.
The friendly staff and professional attitudes they demonstrate on a regular basis has eliviated so much of the unecessary stress I had become so used to.

Thank you so much for all of your assistance and making me feel right at home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Orange, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We booked this hotel through Hotwire and I think this review will be more negative for Hotwire than the hotel.

The hotel is either on its way up through renovation or on its way done as its been let to deteriorate. However it serves its purpose a cheap sleep close to the airport.

We checked in quickly with no fuss. Our room was a bit dated and run down. The type of room that no matter how much they clean it looks dirtying from the years of use. The only negative thing was a cigarette we found on the table, but at least it was not used.

The hotel was solid, nothing fancy. The characters in the hotel, you can tell, are there because this place is one of the least expensive in this area.

Our disappointment was that we booked this hotel through Hotwire, which in the past, has given us very good results. However this time it gave me this hotel as a 3 star hotel with the likes of holiday inn, Hilton etc. it is by no means like those brands. This is an independent hotel and it shows. The hotel is trying to make it and it looks like if they renovate it could go up, but if they don't it will become a hotel for locals and not travelers to denver.

Hotwire should not put this hotel in that category because the expectation only hurts this mom and pop shop

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Find this gem of a three star and make it your stay--midway between DEN and Denver. Excellent location off I70 and near all commercial areas in Aurora. The staff was exceptional, pleasant and accommodating. Melissa and Nate at the front desk were professional and courteous. Nate's recommendation of Trinity Grill downtown hit the spot. Melissa was gracious and made sure our late check out was a heads up with the night staff.

Spacious clean rooms, well suited for the business traveler. Clean, pleasant, safe and convenient. Nice staff. . . .and good lobby coffee with a great fireplace.
Did I leave anything out?

Room Tip: Sunny side are warmer. . . .all are spacious and plentiful.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Colby, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We discovered thishotel last time we came to town. We love the local feel of it. It is very clean. Nate at the desk was friendly and helpful. Its our new favorite and we plan to stay here everytime we come to town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Timbers Hotel? Share your experiences!