“Some of the best prime rib ever” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ship Tavern

Ship Tavern
321 17th Street, Denver, CO 80202-4003 (Central Business District)
303-297-3111
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Between Broadway & Tremont Place
Transit: Bus: Civic Center; Light Rail: 18th & California
Description: Home to the region's best prime rib, the Ship Tavern serves lunch and dinner in a vintage pub atmosphere. An excellent choice for sports viewing, the Tavern features exceptional micro-brewed beer and wine selections, and live entertainment Wednesday through Saturday evenings.DailyLunch: 11:00 am - 5:00 pmDinner: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pmBar: 11:00 am - MidnightLive Entertainment:Wednesday - Saturday 8:30 pm - 11:30 pm
Riverton, Wyoming
“Some of the best prime rib ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We recently stayed at the Brown Palace, and while there ate at the Ship Tavern one night. We didn't feel like dressing up and the place is casual. We ordered a prime rib sandwich to split as well as french onion soup. Both were superb. The portion sizes were huge - enough prime rib for two people easily. The onion rings were fantastic - just right crispiness and not greasy. There is a split plate charge of about six dollars, so if all you want to do is share something, I suggest not doing the split plate thing and just cutting a sandwich in half at the table. However, our waiter told us about the split plate charge up front. The service was fantastic - very "old school" and an attitude of "deference" from our waiter - kind of unusal in a day where your server usually shows up and says "Hi, my name is Travis, and I'll be your server tonight" then proceeds to treat you as though you are best friends. The Brown Palace is not like that and for that reason, may appeal more to an "older" clientele. However, the Ship Tavern is suitable for anyone and highly recommended. Prices may seem high, at first, but portion sizes are sumptuous.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Denver, Colorado
“Good burgers good beers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I stopped in for a burger and a beer. Nice kitchy decorations around. Nice bar staff. Friendly and fast service for beers or food. Menu is standard bar fares. I had burger and fries and was delicious.

Visited November 2011
Hawaii
“"Ship" Tavern in a land locked state?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

The food was very tasty and filling. The beer was cold and refreshing. The service was outstanding. The late closing hour was a life saver for this hungry traveler. As you can probably tell from the name of the place that it had somewhat of a nautical theme which was interesting to look at and the atmosphere during that time of the evening was perfect for me (quiet). If you are staying at the Comfort Inn or the Brown Palance I recommend you go there at least once.

Visited October 2011
Manahawkin, New Jersey
“A Beautiful Step Back in Time...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

If I lived in Denver, I would go again and again to enjoy the atmosphere and live music on the piano! During my visit in August, a co-worker and native of Denver encouraged me to check out the hotel for it's historic aspect. In doing so, I discovered the Ship's Tavern, and opted to dine here Saturday night. Simply walking into the hotel lobby to reach the Tavern Room is an experience --- classic, and stylish, a gem. I arrived a short while before the evening piano player took to the ivories. Then stayed long after my meal to enjoy the music, with occasional vocal solo's from the patrons! What an amazing, fun and unique experience.

As for my meal, I enjoyed the Prime Rib French Dip sandwich with pub fries. It wasn't anything I would write home about, tender, but much too fatty for my taste. Price was very reasonable. Service was just right - there when I needed it, and genuine.

The decor was appropriate - like an old tavern on a ship! Nautical decor, and those famous pub style tables adorn the room. A real, sit back and relax spot for dining, conversation, cocktails and the music.

The highlight was indeed the music and co-mingling of the stylish piano player with old-timers and newcomers. With ages ranging from the 20's to the 60's, this was a charming venue. I imagine the hotel was equally exceptional and would definitely consider this location on a future visit.

Note: Music on the piano is not offered every night, so check before you go.

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Woodland Park, Colorado
“Like Old Nantucket”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Warm, friendly atmosphere, good drinks and excellent snacks served by waiters who actually smile!

Visited August 2011