“Great spot, cozyatmosphere and good food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, Hungarian, Eastern European
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Reservations
Denver, CO
“Great spot, cozyatmosphere and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We went to Budapest Bistro last Saturday night with a group of friends. There were 7 of us. We had reservations for 6:30 pm. We had never been there but always wanted to try.

Our waiter was great very knowledgeable and helpful. I ordered the goulash and my husband the chicken paprikash which he loved! Mine was good. Our friends ordered the suffed cabbage rolls and pork loin, etc.. Everyone seemed to enjoy their meals.

I had a glass of red wine and my husband a beer and he also ordered a salad before his main dish. Like others mentioned in their reviews the price per entree is around $15. We did not order dessert but our friends did order two apple strudels to share and they all LOVED it!

We would have liked a bit less light for more ambiance but they could not dim the lights. Overall it was a great experience and definitely great service. We will most likely return. I will have to try the chicken paprikash.

• Visited November 2012

Littleton, Colorado
“A good, unique meal in a warm & inviting place....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We had never tried this restaurant before, and it was a pleasing discovery. It is a little on the pricey side overall, but everything is made from scratch and with seasonal ingredients. For example, they offer stuffed cabbage rolls in the fall & winter and stuffed peppers the rest of the year. Be sure not to arrive too late in the evening because they only make a certain amount of some entrees, so they do run out of certain dishes sometimes...for example, our waiter said they make a huge pan of stuffed cabbage rolls, but once they run out of them, they are out of them for the rest of the evening. We ordered Hungarian bread and Transylvania Beef & Kraut for our appetizers and both were hits with all of us. The Hungarian bread is really spectacular...very crispy and they give you cloves of garlic to rub on it. I think we were most impressed with the soups we ordered...we got the Cream of Mushroom - and it was truly sublime....a far cry from what comes to mind when someone usually says "cream of mushroom", and we also ordered a bowl of a paprika based soup with chunks of beef that I forget the name of, but boy was it fantastic...and spicey. Their soups are homemade and very unique - not your usual, same-old-thing types of soups. In fact, next time we visit this restaurant (and we certainly will), I intend to order just a bowl of soup (they're actually a bargain at $7.95 a bowl, because it is a large-size bowl) and an order of the Hungarian bread for my meal. Though all our entrees were good and flavorful too. We were there on a Friday evening and the place filled up fast. In fact, most people had reservations, but luckily for us, since we got there around five, they were able to seat us. Also, we tried their homemade strudel...they had apple the night we went...and it was wonderful. Though, again, they make it fresh each day, so once they're out, it's off the menu for the night....
The service was friendly and informal....and the place was a perfect setting for a cozy dinner on a chilly night...though we went as a family with our teen son (they don't have a child menu & I don't think most kids would like it unless they have very eclectic taste and curiosity about food!), But I also think this would be a great spot for couples too...the music is soft & the atmosphere is warm and welcoming - just the right combination for eating and chatting.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
NYC
“A very enjoyable meal in a quaint environment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Classic style Budapest home cooking. Tasty but nothing totally unique. Staff is outstanding, incredibly knowledgeable about Budapest and gourmet foods. Family owned. I like the atmosphere with hand women textiles. Not inexpensive but worth the price of about $15 per entre.
Only a few Budapest restaurants remaining in the US. A good ethnic eating experience.

• Visited August 2012
Laramie, Wyoming, United States
“Very Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

My husband and I went here for our anniversary dinner and were delighted. The food was delicious, the wine tasty, and the service decent. I especially enjoyed the strudel.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kansas City
“Back again and just as good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We returned to Budapest Bistro while in Denver just a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed our meal once again. I reviewed this resaurant last year and looked forward to returning on our next trip to Denver. Our service was great and the food very good. As a bonus our daughter was able to try out her Hungarian on the owner. See you next trip!

• Visited June 2012