“Watch out if you aren't Caucasian!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of 1Up Arcarde and Bar

1Up Arcarde and Bar
1925 Blake Street, Denver, CO 80202 (Formerly 1Up Arcarde and Bar) (Downtown)
+1 303-779-6444
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #431 of 2,558 Restaurants in Denver
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: The 1up - LoDo is located in downtown Denver just feet from the home plate entrance to Coors Field, home of the Colorado Rockies. We offer our own twist on the arcade bar concept featuring more than 45 classic arcade games, 19 pinball machines, 3 lanes of classic Skee-Ball and multiple sets of Giant Jenga.With 14 beers on tap, a Hall-of-Fame of vintage cans, a solid selection of 40 oz. bottles of malt liquor, full bar and delicious food, we have something for everyone.
Aurora, Colorado
“Watch out if you aren't Caucasian!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

A small group of us met at 1up. There was only one Caucasian in the group. Two of our friends, Black females, were standing at the end of the bar. They were asked very rudely by one of the bouncers to move from that particular end of the bar as it was a "fire hazard." Our friends moved without any incident. Shortly after the women moved, two young Caucasian males stood in the same exact spot. We watched and watched and the bounder NEVER asked them to move. My Mexican husband approached the bouncer and asked why did he ask the Black females to move but not the White Males. The bouncer became aggressive and snapped "don't tell me how to do my job." My husband walked back to our group and next thing you know, the bouncer was in his face, chest bumped him for no apparent reason and then threatened him. He left and returned with another White bouncer. After a few minutes of males being males, the 2nd bouncer put my husband in a "sleeper hold" without his presence even known to my husband and both bouncers escorted him out, trying the entire time to twist his arm and wrist - which I consider extremely aggressive and malicious attempts at injuring my husband. Luckily my husband is fairly strong and was able to not allow them to twist his arm or wrist. While at the bar, my husband had one beer and I had water so there was no threat of either of us being intoxicated and/or belligerent. I advise ANYONE who is not WHITE to go to this bar with caution! The bouncers are unnecessarily aggressive, the place is overcrowded and really with crappy staff, makes it very difficult to enjoy an establishment that may have good potential otherwise!

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Denver, Colorado
“Very rude bouncer and bartender”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I went here with a group of friends around Christmas time. We were excited to play all the old games for a girls night. The games were ok. The pac man one was fun since it was a 4 player game. However, other games like duck hunt made me remember why they are outdated. The machine had a hard time registering when you shot at it. The large jenga tower was probably our favorite. We had to wait for one to become available, because it was pretty busy. This was the best part of the night.
When we went to the bar, we could not get the attention of the bartender (for about 5 minutes literally). When we did, he wasn't really paying attention to us, I asked about some beer they had on tap, he ended giving me something I didn't ask for (a can, not even close). I don't really think he was listening, he got my one of my friend's right, but not another's. This rest of the night was similar bar service.
Where the evening went downhill, was they decided to close the place early. I can't remember when it was like 12:30. I had just bought a round of drinks for everyone, and we went to the photo booth to take a picture. The booth just shut down without printing the pictures, after taking our money. I asked the bartender about this, and he said, "well we can see if they print out in the morning." So I said, "ok, can I get your name and the phone number here." He said, "yeah its not going to happen." So why lie to me in the first place? So then they start kicking everybody out, full round of beers and everything. I asked the bouncer why they were doing this, he said "why do you think, it's a Tuesday." I said, yes but it's a Tuesday when most people have time off, you know a holiday. He then asked if I noticed they turned the lights up in the bar, and asked why else would they be doing that. I said I noticed but, didn't really know why, because I thought they were a bar and would be open another couple hours. He then proceeded to literally push me and the other girls out of the bar. I mean hard. It wasn't just our group, but everyone. Everyone else who left the bar was saying how they were never coming back either. I don't know why they would decide to close so early when they were pretty busy.
I have told people since then, not to go because of the service. There are so many other bars in the area, happy to serve us.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Minneapolis, MN
“Fun bar with a twist.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Located in LoDo Denver, this is a fun little bar a friend of ours took us too. As far as a bar is concerned, it's about what you'd expect on a Friday/Saturday night. Busy with staff slinging drinks as fast as they can. But, it has a very cool little twist in the fact that it has wall to wall old school arcade games and pinball machines! Not to mention a little outdoor area with oversized Jenga (made of 2x4s). Worth a stop!

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Crested Butte, Colorado
“Great - arcade + bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

Games for $0.25 - tall boy PBR - even 40s of malt liquor. Really cool dive bar w/ tons of old school video games and pinball...

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lakewood, Colorado
“Cool atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

This is a SUPER fun bar to have some cheap beers at and play aracade games that you haven't seen in circulation since the 80's. The grilled cheese samdwhiches are a must to have when you go as they are made to order. Don't forget to try the fried pickles as well, some of the best in Colorado.

Visited April 2012