“LOVE it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant

Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant
1525 Blake St, Denver, CO 80202-1321 (Downtown)
303-623-5432
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #542 of 2,606 Restaurants in Denver
Cross street: 16th Street Mall
Denver
“LOVE it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

One of my favorites. Love their enchilidas, salsa, tostadas and of course their margaritas. Good atmosphere, yummy food + good service. Recommend for a different take on Mexican food.

Visited August 2012
RioGrandeMexican, Guest Relations Manager at Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
We are thrilled to hear you love dining at the Rio! Hope to see you again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
“Friendly staff, Guac to die for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Went here for a wedding party so not quite the normal experience. But the staff were super nice. I don't drink alcohol and when I asked for a Shirley Temple, they provided the next best thing, the Tornado (Sprite and blended strawberry). Delicious. The guacamole was heavenly. I wish I was eating it right this moment. They were very good about bringing more chips!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
It's great to hear you enjoyed the Tornado and the Guac. We hope that everyone else in the wedding party enjoyed themselves at the Rio too!
“Food/drink great; Service Mediocre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Business traveler, solo diner. I love mexican food, so after walking to this place after reading reviews online I was seated for dinner. My server was clearly disappointed in something -- maybe a solo diner in his section? Hard to say, but either way I pressed on. After ordering a marg and dinner, I had to ask the hostess for a napkin, and another server for a water. I think my guy forgot about me. Finally, he came back, and I had 1 more marg which took at least ten minutes. My food was good, but thankfully no issues as my guy never came back to ask. He came later with the bill, and had he treated me with basic courtesy and diligence he would have discovered a tip 2 or 3x that of the parties 4+ people he quickly tended to that not only made a mess of his section and were 10x the work I was.

OK, so my customer wanted to go here on night #2 of business trip. Not mentioning I had been there previously, we gave it a go. We sat on the patio, and the hostess seemed oddly stressed at where to seat us despite an open floor. We sat for a good 5 minutes with water and chips/salsa before a guy came out and took our beer order. Then, a young lady came out to take our drink order. I mentioned a young man had already been out, and she huffed away.....oops? Is this my issue? She brought our beers out and simply put them down and turned....and I asked her if we could order some appetizers. She begrudgingly took our order, and I tried to smile, laugh, do whatever to ease her up; no avail.. She was clearly mad about something and we paid for it for the rest of the night.
I will not go back to a place where I felt like a burden (two nights in a row) to the server staff. I am also in the service industry and feel strongly that if a customer irritates you,(a respectful one no less) it's time to get out. I am paying for basic service, good food and a pleasant experience. If I cannot get the service I will chose good food and the pleasant experience elesewhere where I don't feel uncomfortable asking for that napkin or the sour cream I ordered earlier. The food is great -- just order it to go.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
We are extremely sorry to hear that you had to tolerate a sub-par experience at the Rio. The poor service you received is not acceptable. This will be immediately addressed at this location. It is our goal to provide all our guests with sanctuary when they dine at any of our Rios. We strive to offer superior service to ensure a welcoming and positive environment. Unfortunately, you did not receive such an experience and for that we apologize. Please let us know when you’ll be in town next time so that we can re-introduce you to the Rio and provide you a proper Rio welcome.
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California
“Great Food but even Better Service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Margaritas pack a punch. Waitress was amazing with recommendations and the permanent taco truck was super cool.

Visited September 2012
Denver, Colorado
“Best Margaritas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I love the Rio and I love the one in Denver a lot more than the Boulder location. Same great Margaritas with a lot more space, friendly waitstaff and less college students crowding the bar. Food is good although I call it healthy mex. Amazing fajitas and tostadas.

Visited June 2012