“Attention Waiters! Don't Share! Don't Eavesdrop!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Potager

Potager
1109 Ogden St, Denver, CO 80218-2809 (Capitol Hill)
303-832-5788
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #144 of 2,558 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary, Californian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Milwaukee
“Attention Waiters! Don't Share! Don't Eavesdrop!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I adore Potager and they've never disappointed with regards to food. This farm-to-table gem is creative with a wine (only) list that is both local and vast. However on our last trip, the waiter kept inserting herself into a fairly intense family conversation. Every time a drink was served, a dish put down or taken away, she interrupted with no apology and then over-stayed her welcome by describing each dish as if she were a docent to the meal. At one point, she brushed by and inserted her own thoughts into our conversation and then said: "I don't mean to eavesdrop, but I guess I do..." Ah, NO you don't. Yes, waiters are people too, but when over $200 is spent, waitstaff should be professional and "wait." I left a 14% tip. I hope the message was clear.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Farm to Table”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Here is a great room with an interesting menu. the Cassoulet is one of the finest-- succulent lamb, duck leg and cranerry beans in a slow cooked pot.

Visited February 2012
Denver CO
“Tiny portions of very expensive but good food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We ate at Potager last night for a friend’s birthday. I’ve been to there a few times before as it’s just a block from my house and have never felt compelled to write a review but this time I just have to. It’s always been expensive but I like the local and organic model and have historically been willing to pay more to support their vision. We’re accustomed to the $30-$50/entrée and I’m comparing Potager to similarly priced restaurants.

As others have mentioned, Potager is first come first served, a open dining room and very hip. No tablecloths, mixed-matched chairs, funky art on the walls. Very hip and urban vibe. It can get quite loud so isn't the best place for intimate conversation. The service is hit or miss, sometimes you have a fantastic server, just attentive enough and other times you spend a lot of time thinking “where’s my server?” But that’s just part of the experience so I can overlook that.

What I can’t overlook is the portion size of the dishes. I’m among those who rarely finish an entrée at other restaurants. I’m usually uncomfortably stuffed at other places in the same price range with just and entrée. At Potager I ordered the Halibut (I can’t imagine that’s local but ok) for $29. The piece of fish was maybe 2 ounces and was served with 2 radishes and a 2 pea tendrils. If I was served this at a tapas place then sure but $29?!? No one in our party felt they had enough to eat despite ordering appetizers and even asking for more bread. There were 6 people in our party and some ordered second entrees because we were still hungry after finishing the first ones. The check was $240 for six people before drinks and we all left completely unsatisfied. The fish was fine, nothing fantastic but not bad either. I’d happily pay $15 for a larger portion.

After dinner we walked somewhere else and had a second dinner. I can’t go back and that makes me sad. I would much prefer to write a glowing review.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Denver, Colorado
“Worth it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

This place has been around for 13 years and I can understand why. The service is outstanding and the food is to die for. They change the menu seasonally and when I was there I had the duck confit over lentils and a mushroom sauce. The food was so delicate, plated just so and melted in your mouth.
Drawbacks: pricey - the salad is small and with the main dish and a glass of wine, it adds up! Also, they give you one slice of delicious bread, making you ask for seconds and possibly thirds leaving you feeling like a greedy piggy. They are also closed for two weeks during the end of year holidays - leaving you lacking one special place to take family and friends.
Overall, I will go there again for a special night out.

Visited November 2011
Bozeman, Montana
“Great Atmosphere, Great food, a little pricey.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

I really enjoyed my experience at Potager. It's a really nice within-the-neighborhood location, the staff was very friendly, and the banana split desert was off the charts delicious. I did, however, find my $30 duck entree to be less than amazing. And small for the price. It had fried onions on it! Couldn't help but be reminded a bit of Thanksgiving dinner green bean casserole. I found that to be a less than appetizing addition to the dish.

• Visited March 2012