“expected more for the price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel VQ

Save Saved
You added Hotel VQ to your Saves list
Hotel VQ
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1975 Mile High Stadium Circle, Denver, CO 80204 (Formerly Red Lion Hotel)   |
Ranked #78 of 147 hotels in Denver
Central City, Nebraska
“expected more for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

the room was small and extremely out dated... the ac didnt work so we we had to sleep with the window open all night which sucked because the highway is right outside the window and it was loud... we did the premium view and it was nice... the bed was hard as a rock and we barely got any sleep... tv was an old tube tv from the 90s and channels were limited... so all in all the hotel sucked... elevator took forever etc... however the reason we stayed here was because we went to pepsi center and they offered free shuttles... that alone almost made it worth the price... also they have a restraunt on the 14th floor and it was by far the best food we had in denver... so all in all the hotel sucks, but the restraunt and shuttle kind of made up for it

Room Tip: if you are going to a broncos game or going to the pepsi center, definitely stay here!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

347 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Rapid City, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel March 5th and 6th with some girlfriends. We chose this hotel for its location and free shuttle downtown. As far as those two things go the hotel was excellent, Juan the shuttle driver was awesome. He knew just where to take us and was good company. And the cab fee back to the hotel was $9, awesome! Unfortunately the rest of the staff and stay was not the same. As soon as we got to the hotel and checked in we waited for the elevator for about 7 minutes. Not even over exaggerating. It wasn't busy and we even ended up asking if the elevator even worked. It finally came. We were greeted by a huge stain on the floor in the hallway outside our door, looked like paint or something. The hallway also smelled like smoke but when we went into the room it just smelled dusty, so we opened the window, problem solved. When we went into the room it was kind of crammed and definitely outdated (which we expected after reading other reviews, not a big deal). After unpacking and relaxing for a minute, which with 4 girls our room was basically covered in a layer of clothes, luggage, and everything you would expect. At this point someone went to use the sink and it was not working. We talked to the front desk and without apologizing or sounding sincere in any manner said "Oh, that was supposed to be fixed." They ended up offering a room move but it wasn't a big enough deal for us to pack up again we just decided to use the bathtub to brush our teeth and such. We really weren't picky. The trip went well up until checkout, we asked for a late checkout which was 1 o'clock. From about 10am on the maids were knocking on the door about every half hour trying to get us out so they could clean. It got to the point where we ended up being rude so that they would stop. They even parked their cart right outside our door. We almost tripped on it walking out of the room. Checkout went smooth, no problem there. Later on one of the girls realized she left her military i.d. and a debit card in the drawer in the hotel room, we all saw her put them in there as soon as we checked in. Yes it is definitely her fault for leaving them but [--] happens. We went back to get her things where the front desk staff was very rude about it. We were leaving town so we obviously needed those things back. Finally the maid went and got her things but just came back with the military i.d., no sign of the debit card. When we asked the maid about it she said it wasn't there and that she didn't need money so she wouldn't steal it. Ummm, I'm sorry but your a maid. I'm sure you wouldn't turn down some extra cash if offered. After insisting to her that the debit card was literally right on top of the military i.d. she went back up to the room and brought us the bible, handed it to us and said that was all that was in the drawer and that nothing else was in there so we must have misplaced it. YEAH, SURE. As we are waiting in the lobby trying to figure out what to do we hear the front desk staff talking [--] about us 4 feet away. Saying how its not their fault that we left things in the room, maybe we should be more careful. Granted yes it was our fault but really... that means we deserve to be stolen from and you couldn't wait to talk badly about us at least until we left? She ended up cancelling her card, done deal things happen. And you would think this is over huh? No, today, a week later I looked at my account online to find a $250 charge to Hotel VQ. I called because it was obviously a mistake, I payed online and that charge was there too, which btw was $141. When I called they said it was a smoking charge. First of all, I don't smoke. Yes, a couple of the girls I was with did but they did NOT in the room. If we wanted a smoking room we would get a hotel where there was smoking that we wouldn't be charged for.. its pretty simple. I told the woman that, who transferred me to someone else, where I told everything again, who then again transferred me to the general manager where I had to tell it all over again. The general manager was very nice but said when there is a dispute with something like that he talks with the head maid, you know the one who was pushing us to get out of the room and the one who stole the debit card, and would check out the room to see how bad it smelled and then would get back to me. I haven't heard back but if the charge is not removed the owner of this crappy hotel will be hearing from me. I've never written a complaint of any kind and we were not hard to please, I mean we didn't even need a running sink to make us happy. I just want people to know if your reading reviews and thinking.. "Ehh it can't be that bad I'm not picky." That's what we were thinking and it was a terrible mistake. Do NOT stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stay at VQ on March 8th to March 10,2013,when i say that i will tell my friends about this hotel i will. i work for the gov and have travel to lots of different places, never recevied such excellent service. i want to thank jerold,angle,curtis and there were 2 other van driver. everybody was nice and friendly, very helpful in every way. let me just say thank you, really nice place to stay and i will be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Upon checkin, I was gratified to discover that Hotel VQ was entirely nonsmoking. It didn't take much time, though, to realize that this was (just) an ideal. Within an hour of checkin, I started to smell smoke wafting in from somewhere ... not enough to make my clothes smoky, just enough to be annoying. I called the desk and was told that they would have security check it out. The smoke didn't go away, but didn't get worse. Should point out that I have a pretty sensitive nose.

The next night, upon emerging from the shower at 12:30 AM, I smelled smoke coming into the room. It was clearly coming directly through the (closed) door to the connecting room! This smoke was much more intense than the night before. Again, I called the receptionist, who asked a number of questions to ascertain the room number from which the smoke was coming. She said they would be charged the $250 fee for smoking in a room. After a half hour of trying to fall asleep, I called the desk again. The receptionist said she would call that room. Didn't hear the phone ring, though I could hear guests' voices through the wall. Woke up again about 3 AM and the smell was gone.

Otherwise, the in-room wireless has been out of order for two nights in a row, due to a DNS server problem. Wireless does work in the lobby, however.

Others have commented favorably on the free shuttle. My experience has been less favorable. Wait times till pickup have been 18 min., less than 5 min., 30 min., and 16 min. (avg. 17 min.).

Room Tip: On the rooms on the I-25 side, be prepared from some noise from traffic and trains.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Wichita, Kansas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Recently stayed here and accidentally left a bag behind. My fault. I totally admit this. No one forced me to leave behind a bag. i called the front desk and they assured me it was no problem. They would ship the bag to me COD. I appreciated this greatly.

I was told the supervisor of housekeeping would do this on Monday when she got in. Great.

The shipment arrived today. COD = $100. What????? I asked the mailman if there was some mistake. he said, "No, the postage was $33.94, but they are charging you $66.06 for their own services." REALLY??? Sticking my bag in a well-worn box, taping it up and slapping a label/postage on it is worth almost twice the cost of postage?? And seriously, NEVER once did they mention this upcharge. A nominal fee of $15.00? Sure. But $66???? That's not only ridiculous, it's HORRIBLE customer service.

I have stayed here multiple times, and find it sad they even attempted to do this to a returning customer. Again, if they had told me the fee upfront, I could have tried to make other arrangements, or chosen to accept it. But, to be blindsided by such a ridiculous amount was unfair!

Make sure you NEVER make a mistake in this hotel...it will cost you dearly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Polson, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed at Hotel VQ February 12-222/2013. I was not anticipating much as this Hotel has been at this physical locations forever. Rooms were a little rough around the edges - been through a lot, but were clean and quiet. The restaurant upstairs was surprisingly good, and reasonalble in price. The front desk went out of their way to help me. The shuttle service was excellent (even during a February blizzard), and I never had to wait more than 10 minutes, Juan, the shuttle driver, and former US Army jump master, was knowledgeable and friendly. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Coaldale, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Outdated, threadbare, & plain. Didn't wan't 2 pay for ambiance. Good value. Contrary 2 previous review I liked the bed. Room seemed quite clean, good linens. Good hot shower in small, spare bathroon. Restaurant/bar upstairs surprisingly good,W/ best sweet potato fries ever seen. Serve Jameson's. Just value without being dirty or scary.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Hotel VQ? Share your experiences!