“bad hotel/great breakfast” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel VQ

You added Hotel VQ to your Saves list
Hotel VQ
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1975 Mile High Stadium Circle, Denver, CO 80204 (Formerly Red Lion Hotel)   |
Ranked #78 of 148 Hotels in Denver
Louisville
“bad hotel/great breakfast”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Hotel VQ was almost comically awful in most respects. To call my room dingy is an insult to dinginess everywhere. Both upholstered chairs had weird, vaguely disturbing stains on them; the carpet had at least a couple of outright holes, plus some stains; the sink had a big, ugly crack that had been repaired to stop the leak, but not to address the appearance; and I could see dead bugs inside the frame of the picture over the bed. Also, the shower made a continuous screeching sound and I was awakened at least four times/night by an incredibly loud train whistle nearby. Wifi in the room was free, but slow and unreliable. The shuttle service was very convenient and the drivers were nice, but I noticed that several seats in the van lacked seatbelts. Whoever owns this place just isn't keeping up with basic maintenance. On the upside, the breakfast was excellent and the wait staff in the restaurant were friendly and efficient.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Changed our hotel 1 day in as our beds were so uncomfortable. Everything was very old and looked dirty. Internet was broken and never connected. Front desk staff was nice and shuttle service was prompt.

• Stayed October 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

They claim they have Internet and it just doesn't work, of course if you are a neo-Luddite with a passion for living in an Amish post apocalyptic utopia without Internet then it isn't a bad hotel. If you work in business though and being online isn't one thing it's the only thing you NEED from a hotel, it's really annyoying to work in your car by a WiFi connection

• Stayed October 2012
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Just returned from a weekend at the Hotel VQ and while the Bronco's let us down, the hotel and the amazing, AMAZING staff/management did not. The rooms are gently used but very, very clean and things are being updated! Proximity to the field can't be beat and the free shuttle to downtown is a major perk!
But it's the staff that so impressed me, the front desk, bar, housekeeping, shuttle driver....everyone was happy and more than willing to keep their guests happy! We'll be back for this one!

Room Tip: I had a beautiful view of Denver's skyline (front of building room) - even with the interstate I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I got stranded in Denver after Greyhound overbooked their buses. Someone mentioned the Hotel VQ, so I stayed here. The rooms are spacious & clean; the staff is superb! On BRONCO GAME DAYS/WEEKENDS, their rooms to up to $140; that's super cheap, especially since you are literally backed up to Mile High Stafium's Parking Arena!

I'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I stayed here in mid August after winning a bid on Priceline. I immediately came hear to read the reviews and I was concerned as many reviewers did not like this hotel. Very pleasantly surprised when I showed up. Great views of the city, decent sized rooms, comfortable king sized bed, friendly and helpful staff (had a great chat with the manager about hockey and baseball while I awaited my airport shuttle on checkout). Those were the pros, as for the cons, some of the fixtures were showing their age. The bathroom and vanity could be updated, but seriously, are you here to admire the toilet? Some people like to nitpick, I'm not one of those people. Also the window to my room would not lock shut. As I was there in summer, this wasn't a problem but in winter it would be a nuisance. I didn't feel like this was a security concern, as I was on the fifth floor and I don't think Spiderman is really into breaking into Denver area hotels. A greater nuisance was the internet. There is free internet throughout the building...in theory. It never worked for very long in the room...or on any floor. The only place that had reliable, continuous wifi was upstairs at the restaurant. So I would take my laptop up there, have a drink while I did what I needed to do. An irritant, true, but I was not in Denver to surf the web. I did that during breakfast or when I felt like a snack. Lastly, the location can be either a blessing or a pain. If you are in Denver to see something at the Mile High Stadium, this is THE place to stay. Right next door...literally! Otherwise if you want to go somewhere, you'll need a car or take the free hotel shuttle. I was without a car and I don't have the patience on vacation to wait for a shuttle. Plus, I am a walker and my whole point in being in Denver is to explore the city. So that is exactly what I did, I walked downtown. This can be done and it takes about 20 minutes to get there. The only problem is you need to negotiate the interstate and the North Platte river, which is between the hotel and downtown. There are two under/overpasses that can get you where you need to go. There is one underpass right in front of the Mile High stadium that leads to the LRT station and another overpass towards the aquarium (which is also near by) that brings you to the LoDo. Never when I was walking, did I feel uncomfortable or had any concern for my safety. If you are not a walker or you think you may be concerned, then the shuttle bus is there for you. All in all, I liked this hotel and although being in downtown proper would have been more convenient at times, I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I got this room at a good deal on Priceline, and was very concerned about the quality after reading some of the Tripadvisor reviews. I admit that the hotel is not new, and is a bit too far from the city to walk to downtown. Having said that, I REALLY, REALLY LIKE THIS PLACE and will stay there again if I am in Denver, even if I have to pay a higher price. The people are really nice.The shuttle service will take you anywhere downtown you want to go, and pick you up when you want (prior to 11pm, I think). The shuttle drivers are very interesting and fun. The view from the top floor restaurant/bar is great, and all 4 meals I had there were very good. The room was clean,and comfortable, and of good size for a city hotel. I definately recommend Hotel VQ!

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the denver skyline from an upper floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel VQ? Share your experiences!