“Homeless, drugs, and too many bars...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of 16th Street Mall

16th Street Mall
16th St, Denver, CO 80202 (Central Business District)
303 534 8500
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$45*
and up
Denver Mountain Parks with Optional Denver City...
Ranked #40 of 107 Attractions in Denver
Type: Scenic/ Historic Walking Areas, Malls, Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Cultural
Activities: Shopping, People-watching
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the heart of Denver, this vibrant area offers a variety of shops and places to relax.
Winston Salem
5 attraction reviews
“Homeless, drugs, and too many bars...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Sound like fun? Maybe for the hound set but not for a family. Homeless sleeping in doorways, smell of pot everywhere, rowdy drunks around at 7pm. No copsnin sight. Its a shame too because there are some nice places amoung the tourist traps and chjnesee junk shops.

The train helps get you around but better. Be careful going. A block or 2 over.

Oddly enough if you go north on 17th streetnmuch nicer walk toward the city park, with more nice eateries and less crime possibilities. Know where your goign if you go downtown.

Chicago, Illinois
12 attraction reviews
“Nothing Spectacular”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was a nice little feature to the city, but I didn't think it was anything that is a must see. The shops and majority of the restaurants are all chain locations you can find in any city in America. There are some cool features, like the chess tables, street pianos, and cleanliness. But there is an over abundance of bizarre individuals. Coming from a big city, these types usually don't bother us. But the sheet volume a these types blew my mind. At one point, I felt these people outweighed those who weren't there just to enjoy the area. I'm happy we went and saw this area, but I don't see any need to ever go back.

Visited August 2013
Kelowna, Canada
36 attraction reviews
“Nice walk, free bus, good shopping/food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Sure, I saw the odd homeless person like some people have commented on but I think this is pretty normal in a big city and none of them harassed you by any means.

The 16th Street Mall otherwise is a nice place to hang out either during the day or at night (it's beautiful all lit up). There is a good selection of shops, restaurants and pubs. You can take the free bus up and down the street all day if you really want to. If you go all the way to the Market St intersection you're also within walking direction of Coors Field. At the opposite end of the street you're within walking distance of the Civic Center (where you can find the Capital building, etc).

Visited August 2013
Grand Island, Nebraska
“pretty decent 3.5 stars”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I would give it 3.5 if I could. I like 16th street for most part. I didn't see as many homeless as some people are complaining about nor did I get bugged by them that much. this may of just been my experience though. I think it very beautiful at night as well. the only reason(s) I actually give it an average is because it's mostly generic shops and restaurants. seriously is there like a dozen Starbucks there? So you end up mostly people and scenic watching then actually going into or doing anything on 16th Street.

ohio
3 attraction reviews
“will never go back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My family of 5 were excited to see the city of Denver and decided to go to 16th mall. We decided to do this type of scavenger hunt, like amazing race in the city. I have never minded walking in areas where there are homeless people but I was completely shocked by how many homeless there are. Not in just one area but everywhere we walked. We would ride the free bus and I unfortunately sat on a seat that smelled like urine and I looked around and could see why. No one bothered us but I could not wait to leave. I guess it was just depressing to see so many people in unfortunate situations. Online it says Denver rates 8th in homelessness. Not a fun place to take your family when people are holding up signs for money, people singing loudly, and a man carrying a fake head on a stick. It was uncomfortable for my kids and they have been to New York city, Washington D.C, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit,and Boston.