“Charcoal Restaurant - Denver's rare gem!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Charcoal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #113 of 2,555 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: Eclectic
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: RTD bus stop on Broadway and 9th, 1/2 block from the restaurant. Taxis available on request.
Denver, Colorado
“Charcoal Restaurant - Denver's rare gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We went to Charcoal for Sunday brunch. It's near Capitol Hill and close to downtown. I loved the modern yet organic-feeling decor. I had summer waffles with strawberries and white chocolate espresso mousse - yum! My date had swedish brisket hash. Each of us loved our choices. Drinks were awesome and the service was excellent - attentive but never overbearing. The brunch menu has many swedish items that I haven't seen anywhere else - unique! This gem of a place is a must-do for foodies who love brunch! We plan to go back soon.

• Visited June 2013

Aurora
“Fine Dining At Affordable Prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I met a friend here for lunch and what a beautifully design space it is. Very modern, clean and inviting to sit either in the bar or dining area for a nice meal. The lunch menu had may interesting appretizers from Bacon Wrapped Dates to Chicken Liver Mousse. I had the Crab Cake Sandwich and it was done to perfection (yummy fries also). I looked at the wine list for a future dinner stop and it was extensive with a good variety in prices. I would highly recommend this establishment for a social or professional dining location.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cedar Hill, Texas
“Try the tasting brunch menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We've been to the restaurant several times but we enjoy the brunch menu probably the best. That's not taking anything away from the dinner menu though which is very good. Dinner is a little more expensive. Their signature martini is a little on the pricey side and nothing really to write home about. However their local and craft beers are affordably priced and interesting.
They offer a 5 course tasting brunch menu which changes every weekend and maybe even between Saturday and Sunday when it is offered. The chef is quite innovative and everything is very tasty and unique - things you wouldn't prepare for yourself.
The servers are all very friendly and helpful. Everyone seems to enjoy working at the place.
The location is in the golden triangle. Neighborhoold parking might be more difficult for dinner but brunch should be a breeze for finding a spot.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
colorado
“Scandinavian influences-excellent meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had a delicious dinner at this restaurant. In the golden triangle-sort of. Sort of a weird location but easy to find-right off of lincoln. Excellent food-I remain a bit confused by the name. I think when you hear "charcoal" many people are going to imagine a meat heavy grilled food restaurants. That is really not the case. I think the largest influence here is Scandinavian food. lots of gravlax, herring, chicken liver-that sort of thing. My husband had the chicken liver mousse and loved it. I had mushroom gnocchi and it was delicious. Sit at the "chef's bar" so you can watch the food preparation. Very friendly service too.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Denver, Colorado
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I've been here twice in the past four months; once over the holidays and once during Denver Restaurant week. Both visits were excellent--everything from the hostess to the server to the food.
This most recent visit a group of us shared what we ordered so we could try several items. Someone ordered the sausage appetizer (I didn't try it) and everyone liked it; I got the sushi or cerviche dish, which was incredible.
For dinner, I got the Cioppinio, a fish and seafood stew, which was just as delicious as any I've had in New York or San Francisco. If you like seafood--I highly recommend this dish.
Another person got a braised-short rib; I believe it may have been buffalo. It was tender, juicy, and presented well on the plate.
Two people went for the gnocci, which I've had before. It's awesome. They taste home-made, but I'm not certain. The sauce definitely had crack in it because you just wanted to lick the plate!
For dessert we had an assortment of goodies from house-made sorbet to a pudding (pol de creme, perhaps?) and some kind of macadamia cookies.
Our server was tip top, and the servers in general seem to help each other out by picking up empty glasses and dishes, etc.
We had a variety of wines and champagnes. The drinks were a bit pricy in my opinion, so perhaps one could save a bit by having non-alcoholic beverages or only having one drink.
Overall, excellent. Charcoal, you are right up there with my favorite, Rioja. You get an "A+".

• Visited February 2013