“Needs TLC” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Microtel Inn by Wyndham Denver

You added Microtel Inn by Wyndham Denver to your Saves list
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Denver
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   18600 East 63rd Avenue, Denver, CO 80249 (Formerly Super 8)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #85 of 148 Hotels in Denver
“Needs TLC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here using the park n fly rate, the night before a flight. There are some good and bad things about this hotel, leading to the average rating. I'm more of a glass is half full type person, so here are the good things. Location is ok, just off tower road. There is only one restaurant within walking distance. Check in was easy, and staff was nice. We asked for an extra blanket/pillow in the room, and this was waiting for us when we checked in. The sheets and towels were clean and smelled good. The room was quiet. The larger flat screen TV was nice. However...the not so good. We parked in the back, and were unable to bring our bags through the back door, because it had been torn off the hinges--and didn't open or close completely. (doesn't instill a lot of confidence with security.) The room reminded me of a combination frat house room and youth hostel, with a bank of flourescent lights above the beds. Several of the bulbs were burned out, and several more were flickering...giving the room a sort of post apocolyptic feel. There were water damage stains on the ceiling and holes in the carpet. The shower curtain rod had been torn out of the wall at least 3 different times, and we had to use some of our athletic tape to keep the curtain in place while showering. The blankets look like they have been donated after being used for several years at a rescue mission. Breakfast is not really memorable, although you can grab a quick banana, yoghurt, and juice for the road. We just had to remind ourselves that we were getting what we paid for. If we wanted a cooked to order breakfast, we should have stayed at a competitor down the road. Again, the staff were nice, the linens were clean, the room was quiet, and the airport shuttle got us there on time. That being said, we probably wouldn't stay there again unless it was updated.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ben G, Manager at Microtel Inn by Wyndham Denver, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is always good to hear the good as well as the bad comments from our guests. We thank you for pointing out the bad, that way we can address the issues as soon as possible. We are working on fixing the door that you could not enter through. We are making updates to the hotel and improvements. Please come again when you are in Denver next to see these changes. I am glad that the shuttle was on time and you were pleased with it, we do our best to get you there when you want/need to be there because we do understand that it is a time sensitive matter and we don't want any of our guests stressed, so we make it easy for them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Colorado Springs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

OK Microtel, but dirty and needs remodeling. Needs vending machines on the upper floors.
The staff is the strong point of this hotel. These ladies were the best Microtel front desk staff we have ever dealt with. They are to be commended and rewarded for superior courtesy and professionalism.
Good motel, but really needs some upgrades. The room was fine, but the rest of the place is really tattered.

Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

Ben G, Manager at Microtel Inn by Wyndham Denver, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are in the process of making some upgrades to this hotel, to update it. I am glad that you were pleased with my staff. We train them to present the best customer service to make you feel as though you are home when you're not. I hope you will return to the property.
Cody, Wyoming
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

NOT SAFE....Our vehicle was broken into in their parking lot (we stayed only one night) and we were robbed of personal belongings as well as checkbook and credit cards. Hotel staff said they have no video surveillance, at least it is not working, and did nothing to make things right. In fact only the desk help ever talked to us, it was not even a big enough deal to them for a manager to personally address. Desk help just reminded us that we sign a liability waiver when we registered, so it was 'not their problem'.

Room Tip: Tub caulking was moldy and half peeled off.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that you did not have a good experience at the hotel. I have spoken to my front desk staff about this review. If you would still like to speak with a member of management please contact the hotel, we would be more than happy to speak with you.
Aspen, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I missed a flight out of DIA, and since we live 4 hours away, decided to stay at a cheap hotel and be able to take a shuttle to the airport. The primary reason for this rating was the terrible shuttle service. The shuttles run hourly from the hotel, and are on call from the airport. Since I had read previous TA reports, I called the shuttle when we landed and was told 15-30 minutes and that they would call when they were close. 30 minutes later I called again and spoke to another person who said she had no idea that we were waiting, and that she would call the shuttle driver. The driver had not left yet, and when I called a third time 10 minutes later, the driver had just left the hotel. Overall, the shuttle took 1 hour to get to us at the airport. Not that bad since I had called when we landed, but do not expect fast shuttle service.

Pros:

Very cheap ($50 on Expedia)
Ok beds, looked very new
No bed bug reports
Free breakfast

Cons:

Parking costs $5 additional per day, which means even at $50, I could have stayed somewhere nicer for the same price or less. Since this was not listed explicitly, I was able to get a discount.
Two of the floors allow smoking. While our room was non-smoking, I could still smell it coming in under the door.
The shuttle (see above)
Overall, the carpet, walls, etc are very weathered

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We appreciate the feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and were comfortable in your beds. I am sorry about the shuttle service you had that night. We understand that the shuttle at these hotels especially is vitally important because most of the time there is a time frame that must be met. I have spoken to my staff and addressed your review, to improve the shuttle and communication. I hope that you will return someday to the hotel, we always have great rates and next time you will not be disappointed!
Cheyenne, Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed one night before an early morning flight. The room was clean with the basics. Breakfast the next morning was packaged ready to grab and go... Which was nice since we had such an early departure. And the price was great!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review and for the positive feedback! I am glad we made the breakfast convenient for you, since you had to be on the run. We do offer great affordable rates; I hope you will stay with us again!
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have no complaints about the room and the hotel. It was clean enough and the hotel is about 8 miles away from the airport, which is a bit isolated compared to most of the other hotels on Tower Road. But, my experience with the front desk (Amanda) was horrible. From the time of check-in, I noticed how rude she was. She was on the phone with a customer when I got there. I heard her say, "Not to cut you off, but I am very busy here now" and hang up. That should have given me a clue about my upcoming experience. May be she is over-worked, but that shouldn't be the customer's problem. May be she had a bad day.

We wanted a shuttle from the airport after dropping off our car, so I inquired about it and told her we will need to be picked up around 8:30. She scribbled it down. I also told her we will need a shuttle next morning at 6:15 am to the airport. She scribbled that down too, not hiding her annoyance.

After dropping off the car, I called her to see if the shuttle is on its way. She told me, "Sir, give me a call after you get to the pick-up area and I will send the shuttle over". So, I called her after I got there and she said, "The shuttle will be there in 45 minutes". It was freezing cold and I asked her if it is around 45 minutes or anytime within 45 minutes. She started screaming at me, "The shuttle has to pick up people from 2 other places and sometimes it gets full, so, sir, if you want to be picked up, you need to stand where it stops. Otherwise, take a cab" and hung up. How rude !! So, we stood outside and there was no shuttle after 45 minutes. This time I asked my wife to call her and apparently the lady screamed again. Anyway, the shuttle arrived after another 15 minutes. It was packed. Luckily we got room and some people were left behind.

The next morning we came down at 5:45 and there was another girl at the front desk. After checking out, I asked her if our shuttle will come at 6:15. She said, "I don't see you signed up for the shuttle". "I did tell Amanda yesterday". And the girl says, "I know. She does it all the time. She messes up everything and I have to come in the morning and deal with all this. But, there is nothing I can do because you are not signed up". Gosh ! Is this hospitality industry or what !!

Luckily another girl came from behind the counter and she offered to help. She called the shuttle on the phone to check if there is any chance it can come by. The driver of that shuttle accepted and came in another 10 minutes. I have to say the shuttle driver was very helpful and pleasant even at that time of the day. Don't they have any standards set for their staff?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Microtel Inn by Wyndham Denver? Share your experiences!