“Most beautiful views!” 5 of 5 stars

Activities: Driving, Mountain biking
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Most beautiful views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

I read about Mount Evans on tripadvisor during a road trip and decided we HAD to drive tothe top. Unfortunately, I had to turn back and stop at a dealer because I thought something was wrong with my transmission (I guess my 4 cylinder just has trouble getting up the steep highway). By the time we got off at the Idaho Springs exit, it was almost dark. We found an amazing campground on the way to the mountain - West Chicago Creek . The road up to it is pretty rough and unpaved, but it was so worth it when we woke up in the morning and saw the amazing view we had. It's basically situated on the side of a mountain, evergreens everywhere. I would highly recommend it. The next morning we headed up Mount Evans. Although I wasn't thrilled about having to pay, it was pretty cheap. The views were absolutely amazing, it just kept getting better and better the higher we went. There are some pretty steep drops as you drive up, and it can be scary at times, expecially when I saw signs saying "Road damage ahead" and the road crumbling on the shoulder. After we passed the treeline, we spotted mountain goats grazing. I stopped and got some amazing pictures- the goats were within 10 feet of everyone taking pictures. Incredible. The summit was easy to hike up to from the parking lot at the top. (Don't wear flip flops, though. Mine broke as did another person's. Oops.) It's pretty scary crawling around on the rocks at the top to get pictures, but the views were breathtaking. Just bring a coat, it gets pretty chilly up there. One of my favorite vacation experiences ever!

nottingham, england
“A must have experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

This was my third trip up Mount Evans, made again because bad weather obscured the best views in 2006. My son and girlfriend didn't get to see the panoramic views from all sides then so we came back on August 10th, the last day of our trip which had taken us through 6 states. Denver never disappoints and a relatively short drive will bring awe inspiring views of all the surrounding mountains that surround the city. Make this trip, it is well worth it. Easily accessible by road, the last 130 feet can be climbed even by children, but fantastic views can be had from the car by the less energentic. You will not be disappointed (weather permitting). Don't miss it!

Missouri
18 attraction reviews
“Easiest way to climb a 14er”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

The only way to get a 9 month old and a 2 year old to the top of a 14er is this or Pike's Peak. We were staying in Denver, so we chose this. The drive (up and down) was terrifying but worth it. Nice stops along the way. Crazy cyclists on the way down.

NY
“If I died up here, it would have been worth it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

I had a weekend in Denver, so I had to plan accordingly and being from the East (NY and NJ), the one thing I had to do while I was out here was to check out the snow capped mountains of Colorado I've only seen pictures of and in movies. I looked up what to do on this website and found out about Mt. Evans and decided to check it out considering the glowing reviews (even if there weren't that many). It was roughly an hour and a half drive from Broomfield (where my hotel was) to the top of the mountain (not counting the multiple stops along the mountain we made to take pictures). We went around sunset, which I highly recommend because of the glowing sun falling behind the mountain -- it is beautiful. There also seems to be less people around that time. We did not get to see the many wildlife that other people have seen, mainly because it seems they are more plentiful in the morning. But still, the afternoon and evening hours was a treat because of the sunset. We stopped at one of the lakes going up the mountain which had this beautiful & absolutely gorgeous backdrop of melting snow. It had to be one of the most beautiful scenes I've ever been to in my life. I also stopped and touched and picked up some of the glacial snow they have up there, just to be able to say I did. It was incredible to touch it and walk in snow in the middle of July! There are so many stops along the way up to take pictures of I'm sure if we went to all of them, we wouldn't have made it to the peak when the sun was just about to disappear and there was an orange glow on the horizon. You can only drive up to a certain point and park in the parking lot, and then hike the rest of the way up to the peak - roughly 14,000 miles up. I am sure that I suffered somewhat from altitude sickness and dehydration plus the freezing temperatures that were up there (bring a sweater, TRUST ME - we went in the middle of July and I was still freezing cold up there), but I told myself if I died up here it would have been worth it. The sight from the top is simply incredible. I was so out of breath by the time I made it to the peak I was so glad I stuck with it and continued up. I'm sure most people who are in better shape wouldn't have been so sick though! Either way, this was the best part of my trip and it was truly something magnificent. It is a shame that there are not as many reviews as some other places in Denver, for this is the one place that I think anyone who likes beautiful natural views should visit if they are in town. I definitely recommend this and hope that everyone who visits Denver check out Mount Evans. It was a 10$ charge for entrance, but I would have paid $100 if I knew what I was going to see at the top.

San Jose, California
11 attraction reviews
“White knuckle ride!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

I am afraid of heights and this ride was not a good experience for me. Although beautiful, I wish someone would have warned us how winding and narrow the roads are. When we got to the top a storm was approaching and the ranger warned us to not be outside because of possible lightning strikes. The temperature difference from Idaho Springs and the top of Mt Evans is about 30 degrees. There are lots of bikes on the road. I'm sure most people would love this, but it's not for everyone.

Been to Mount Evans? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Mount Evans, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.