“FULL OF SURPRISES!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Denver Museum of Nature & Science

Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 Colorado Blvd, Denver, CO 80205 (City Park)
303-370-6000
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 330 things to do in Denver
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The Denver Museum of Nature & Science is the Rocky Mountain region’s leading resource for informal science education. A variety of exhibitions, programs, and activities help Museum visitors experience the natural wonders of Colorado, Earth, and the universe.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
365 attraction reviews
“FULL OF SURPRISES!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

On June 29, 2012, we decided to switch to the Plan B of our travel plans in Denver and other tourist areas in Colorado. Due to the forest fires in the Colorado Springs areas, we cancelled our trips to Pikes Peak (the Cog Train), the Garden of the Gods and other tourist areas in Manitou Springs. In their place, we visited the Denver Museum of Nature and Science (DMNS). My son and I were happily surprised!

There are 3 floors of exhibits that include those of the Insects and Butterflies, Gems and Minerals, Space Odyssey, Discovery Zone, Expedition Health (biggest surprise for us), North American Wildlife, Edge of the Wild, Bears and Sea Mammals, South Pacific Islands, Australia, North American Indian Culture, Egyptian Mummies, Prehistoric Journey,Birds of the Americas, Explore Colorado, Northern and Rare Birds, Botswana Africa, South America, and Best View in Denver. Other Attractions: Phipps IMAX Theater, Planetarium and Phipps Special Exhibit Gallery.

We enjoyed all the exhibits, but our favorites are those of the North American Wildlife, Edge of the Wild, and North American Indian Culture.

Big surprises: EXPEDITION HEALTH and BEST VIEW IN DENVER:

EXPEDITION HEALTH EXHIBIT

We almost missed this exhibit. Thanks to the staff at the entrance of this Exhibit for encouraging us to get in. We followed these steps:

1. Get a card from the staff manning the exhibit. Insert this access card at the machines near the entrance area and record requested information such as your name and age. This card will keep track of your personal information and test results as you move from one machine to the next one.

2. Proceed with the "tests". Remember to insert your card at each machine before the test and remove it after the test.

3. After finishing your tests, proceed to the machine where your picture will be taken. Spread your arms and SMILE.

4.Go to the next machine where your completed " Peak Pass Personal Profile" card (PPPP) will be printed.

The PPPP card shows your picture, EKG, Resting, Heart Rate and Target Rate, Arm Span, Height, and Stride Length. It also indicates a website where additional information can be obtained as well as your code/number to access this website. Keep your PPPP card as a memento of your visit.

5. Before leaving this Exhibit, put your access card at the designated receptacle. It was represented that your personal information will be deleted and your card will be recycled/used again.

My SURPRISE: I have been using 5'4 inches as my height when this information was asked of me in the past. Test results show that my height and arm span = 5'6 inches! Note that I was wearing flat walking shoes so I'm really 2 inches taller!

BEST VIEW IN DENVER

As we moved from one Exhibit to the next one, from the first floor to the next floor, we noticed the City Park and the Denver Skyline at the South side of the Museum. I took the opportunity to take pictures of these beautiful sights.

Because of time constraints, we were not able to visit the Imax Theater and the Planetarium. These will be our reasons to visit the DMNS again in the future plus other tourist areas of Colorado.

• Turkish first
Littleton, Colorado
14 attraction reviews
“Must See”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Our kids all love it here (3, 6, & 17). There is something for each of them. Be sure to check for special exhibits (right now its snakes). Great value!

Visited February 2012
Littleton, Colorado
34 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Natural History Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I love this place it has dinosaurs, minerals, wild life scenes.

Fort Collins, Colorado
11 attraction reviews
“Amazing Time With Twin Toddlers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

When you go anywhere with twin two-year-olds, you never know what your experience will be. I had never been to the Museum before, and my husband had only been there on field trips with preteens. So, we did not know if there would be much to do for our twins. I had read a review on TripAdvisor saying there was plenty to do for young children, so we took a chance and brought them into the museum WITHOUT STROLLERS (we figured my husband could run out to the car if we needed them- we parked close). We never needed them!

There was so much for my kids to look at and do, they were very engaged. Almost every section had a spot for young kids, and we took breaks there. My kids especially liked the little play areas in the health section, the space section, and the discovery area on the second floor. We were there from about 10-2. We stopped at the cafe for lunch, and we saw most of the museum. The kids were interested in everything they saw- the dinosaur skeletons, animals, the big Earth model, the pretty gems and minerals. What a great experience! There were many interesting displays that we adults enjoyed too, and my daughter had so much fun as we were leaving she teared up and said, "Go back inside museum?"

I will say that the lunch is typical of this kind of place- priced too high for the quality. That should not deter anyone from a visit, though. Just pack a lunch and eat in the courtyard. Also, the health area would be better if not for the 9-12 year old kids running rampant trying all the consoles without understanding them. With our kids in tow, my husband and I were not able to get much out of that area for ourselves other than watching our kids enjoy the little kids' play area. I would try that area first before the school groups show up.

Denver
45 attraction reviews
“A Blast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Our five children have so much fun at the DMNS. We have a membership and so quite often. The kids(ages 17-2) always get so excited to go. Many different exhibits, and usually a unique one that changes every few months. There is a Discovery Zone room, experiments and fun activities for the kids. In the summer there are fountains outside and the kiddos have so much fun running through them.