“Great Way to Spend a Day in Denver!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 330 things to do in Denver
Activities: Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Owner description: Adventure Awaits! Every day, Denver Zoo seeks to inspire exploration and discovery, and creates connections with people, animals and nature. And every day, we’re working to save animals and conserve wildlife here and around the world. Your visit and support aids in all these efforts- Thank you. Denver Zoo is home to 3,800 animals representing more than 650 species and is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). AZA accreditation assures the highest standards of animal care. A leader in environmental action, Denver Zoo is dedicated to ensuring the safety of the environment in support of all species and is the first U.S. zoo to receive ISO 14001 certification for the entire facility and operations. This international certification ensures the zoo is attaining the highest environmental standards. Since 1996, Denver Zoo has participated in 594 conservation projects in 62 countries on all seven continents. In 2012 alone, Denver Zoo participated in 98 projects in 18 countries and more than $1 million in funds was spent by the zoo in support of animal conservation in the field.
Victoria
“Great Way to Spend a Day in Denver!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I have always loved going to zoo, so once we were in Denver to visit some friends of mine, there were no second thoughts – we’re visiting Denver zoo! The day was pleasant and most of the animals were out. There is plenty of space in Denver zoo so it actually took us a decent amount of time to walk around and see everything that had to be seen. We even managed to see the seal show – it was short but still a great fun for us!

Visited June 2013

Rapid City, South Dakota
7 attraction reviews
“Bigger, better than expected!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We had a great time visiting the zoo. It was quite a bit bigger than expected. We spent roughly 5 hours there and still did not cover a portion of the zoo. We did take our time and browse around. Almost all of the animals were out and about. Many people griped about not seeing animals, but they would rush by and automatically assume they were not there when they would be standing in a shaded area. Take your time and enjoy!
Definitely recommend taking or buying one of the spray fan water bottles. It was very well worth it in July. Very hot!
My only complaint would probably be the bathrooms. It took a bit to find them when we needed them. The giraffe enclosure one, I wish we would have passed up! Shew-wee!
We actually upgraded to the season pass. By the time we bought the original tickets, food, and merchandise, we almost broke even by upgrading since they refunded us the difference in our purchases to reflect the discount with a season pass. Awesome!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
102 attraction reviews
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Since moving to Colorado, I've discovered that I've been somewhat spoiled by where I have lived previously. For example, I was disappointed in the science museum, but then again, I had lived in Washington, D.C. for years, where I had the whole Smithsonian Institution to savor. And of course, D.C.'s National Zoo is hard to beat. I also lived in Bangkok, Thailand for a couple of years, and they have a darned good zoo. So, when I finally got around to visiting Denver's zoo, I had only scheduled 90 minutes for a quick walk around. Big mistake. This is a darned good zoo. It's clean, spacious, well designed, with a good selection of animals in what appear to be good habitats. Do go, but plan to spend lots more than a couple of hours -- a half day, at least.

Moravia, Iowa
23 attraction reviews
“Great way to spend an afternoon.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

15.00 per person wasn't bad. Free parking ramp. A pretty big zoo- but a lot of the bigger animals were no where to be seen. The lion and bear must have been in hiding. The wolf exhibit was closed.
It was a great day to be at the zoo when we went. It sprinkled a little around 1/2pm but it was very light and felt good since it was hot out. Seemed like they do a lot of shows and feedings etc .
I'd like to hit up the botanical garden us the street sometime too.

Las Vegas, Nevada
171 attraction reviews
“Lots of Great Shade & Ape Displays!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This place has been here for over 80 years, so there are some excellent shaded areas, except the elephant remodel areas. "GO TO THE LEFT EARLY IN SUMMER to avoid the heat, and take a Frog Tog Towel to keep cool, especially for your kids. Cheap at Wal-Mart $13 & can make 2 out of it for kids. Its a neck cooler towel. Nice ape displays, water animals not as nice as Sea World or Mandalay Bay Las Vegas, or Monterrey Bay but nice. I liked it and recommend it over Salt Lake's Zoo.

Visited July 2013

Been to Denver Zoo? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Denver Zoo, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.